Windows 10: Windows Host Process (Rundll32) keeps asking to run

Discus and support Windows Host Process (Rundll32) keeps asking to run in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm using a pretty new laptop and several times, a User Account Control popup has come up asking if I want to allow an app to make changes to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Alicat22, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Alicat22 Win User

Windows Host Process (Rundll32) keeps asking to run

Hi all,

I'm using a pretty new laptop and several times, a User Account Control popup has come up asking if I want to allow an app to make changes to my device. The app is called Windows host process (Rundll32). I am not doing anything that I would expect to trigger such a request. The last time it happened (three times in a row, and I had to shut my computer down because it kept popping up), the only thing I had open was my computer settings, as I had turned my mobile hotspot on. I wasn't doing anything on my computer at the time; I was using the wifi connection to play a game on my phone.

Since I don't trust this program popping up out of nowhere asking to make changes to my computer, I always decline the request. I've scanned my computer with both Avast and Malwarebytes. Neither service found anything wrong.

Why does this notification keep popping up, and what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Alicat22, Mar 16, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows host process rundll32 running 19 instances

That is certainly not normal, you will need to find out what processes are running on rundll32.exe

Rundll32 is just a host for other processes to run, to find out exactly what is running on this process, Click HERE to download the free ProcessExplorer
    from TechNet

The app will download in a zip file (approx 1.84mb), unzip it and run the appropriate version (32bit or 64bit) for your system by right clicking the exe and choosing 'Run as Administrator'

You’ll want to choose File - Show Details for All Processes to make sure that you’re seeing everything

Hover over the rundll32.exe in the list, you’ll see a tooltip with the details of what it actually is:

Windows Host Process (Rundll32) keeps asking to run 46b7762b-f570-4f67-91d6-cdbc93658a92.png

Alternatively you can right-click, choose Properties

Then take a look at the Image tab to see the full pathname that is being launched

You can see the Parent process, which in this case is the Windows shell (explorer.exe), indicating that it was likely launched from a shortcut or startup item.

Windows Host Process (Rundll32) keeps asking to run 5cbd5aa3-2611-42a6-887d-265e98758083.png

In general, processes running on rundll32.exe can be stopped from running when Windows starts up as follows:

• Press Windows + R keys together to open the run dialog
    • Type msconfig and hit enter
    • On the Startup Tab will be a list of processes that start with Windows
    • Check the box marked Hide all Microsoft Services'
    • Look down through the remaining list for items containing 'rundll32'
    • If you find any erroneous entries, uncheck them . . .
    • BE CAREFUL not to uncheck items like nVidia items which sometimes use rundll32

Windows Host Process (Rundll32) keeps asking to run a2575ab0-bcc0-4c79-abbd-5f502fa66ace.jpg

DaveM121, Mar 16, 2019
  3. Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working

Ran all of the above malware removal tools for Windows 10. "Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working" error message only occurs when I try to view jpegs in Windows Photo Viewer. How can I restore my ability to view jpegs?

bayareauser, Mar 16, 2019
  4. AndyH46 Win User

Windows Host Process (Rundll32) - Multiple versions

Running Windows 10 and experienced a slow down in processing tasks. I checked in File Manager and found I have 4 versions of Windows Host Process (Rundll32) active. 3 of them show memory and CPU usage and 1 seems to be static. Checked the library paths
    and all 4 reside in System 32 library. Do I need 4 versions or can I stop 3 of them.

AndyH46, Mar 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Host Process (Rundll32) keeps asking to run - Similar Threads - Host Process Rundll32

2. Windows hsot processes keeps randomly asking to run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows hsot processes keeps randomly asking to run: Once every few hours I'll get a pop up - Windows hsot services is asking for permission. WHy? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-hsot-processes-keeps-randomly-asking-to/c11c8c41-ae9b-4cbd-9e8c-1cfad5b634b8
  3. Windows hsot processes keeps randomly asking to run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows hsot processes keeps randomly asking to run: Once every few hours I'll get a pop up - Windows hsot services is asking for permission. WHy? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-hsot-processes-keeps-randomly-asking-to/c11c8c41-ae9b-4cbd-9e8c-1cfad5b634b8
  4. Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding: I'm on Windows 11. Windows update pushed the following update to my computer on 28 Oct 22. <<October 25, 2022-KB5018859 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11>>Since then, I've been having printing issues with this message: Windows host...
  5. Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding

Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding: I'm on Windows 11. Windows update pushed the following update to my computer on 28 Oct 22. <<October 25, 2022-KB5018859 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11>>Since then, I've been having printing issues with this message: Windows host...
  6. Host Process for Windows Services keeps asking for admin rights.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Host Process for Windows Services keeps asking for admin rights.: Hello. On a computer, a user is repeatedly getting a popup asking for admin rights for Host Process for Windows Services. The user closes it out every time as she does not have admin privileges. I do not want to type in admin rights if I do not know what it is. It is a Dell...
  7. Host Process for Windows Services keeps asking for admin rights.

Host Process for Windows Services keeps asking for admin rights.: Hello. On a computer, a user is repeatedly getting a popup asking for admin rights for Host Process for Windows Services. The user closes it out every time as she does not have admin privileges. I do not want to type in admin rights if I do not know what it is. It is a Dell...
  8. Process host windows Rundll32

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Process host windows Rundll32: Hello, I'm having some trouble with updating and uninstalling programs on my PC with Windows 10 as lately a message occur telling me that "Process host windows rundll32" is running and therefore I cannot update/uninstall the program. I've already searched on internet to try...
  9. "Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s

in Windows 10 Support
    "Windows host process (Rundll32)" causing hourglass to flash every 5s: Windows 10 Pro 1909 Freshly installed less than a week ago. Noticed that every 5 seconds the blue circle or hourglass (depending on mouse pointer size) would flash. Tried uninstalling a bunch of recently installed programs including some built-in programs included with...
  10. Why is Windows Host Process (Rundll32) in my Startup?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is Windows Host Process (Rundll32) in my Startup?: Why is there a Windows Host Process (Rundll32) in my Startup tab in Task Manager? I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 default action, or if it came from some program I installed. Shouldn't rundll32.exe start automatically if it's needed? It's not a virus, I'm...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off rundll32 running a bunch of times

2. minecraft íntaller keep asking host process for

3. windows host process

4. allow app to make changes windows host process rundll32,
  5. windows host process rundll32 keeps asking,
  6. windows keeps prompting me to allow host process Rundll32?,
  7. rundll32 keeps popping up an allow window