Windows 10: Windows HyperV

Discus and support Windows HyperV in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; In order to test apps before installing them I would like a VM. I have Windows 10 Pro, 6GB RAM, my network adapter is 802.11n + version 6.30.223.256.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by maranna, Mar 23, 2018.

1. maranna Win User

Windows HyperV

In order to test apps before installing them I would like a VM.
    I have Windows 10 Pro, 6GB RAM, my network adapter is 802.11n + version 6.30.223.256.
    I think I have to enable virtualization in my old BIOS, then at control panel>windows features, check virtualization or hyper V.
    I was thinking this 5 year old desktop with a new hard drive and new PSU may not be able to support a VM. It may not be worth losing a functional machine to use a VM if there is a load put upon it. If this is not the case, I would like to go forward.
    Is there anyone here who could tell me if the above is right, if my system is capable of a VM and what to do next regarding a host to test new apps?

:)

maranna, Mar 23, 2018
  2. iqapple Win User

hyperv no longer disable instantgo?

I installed win10 and enabled hyperv. In win8.1 instantgo will be disabled but in windows 10 it seems still on. Is hyperv no longer conflicting with instantgo?

Thanks

iqapple, Mar 23, 2018
  3. jaitaiwan Win User
    Unable to Fully Install Hyper V - Fails after restart to finish

My issue has resolved itself.

After update KB4020102 I attempted to install all of HyperV again which failed to finish as I expected. However after attempting to install HyperV Platform first on it's own, then the HyperV Management Tools it worked successfully.

For any users whom this helps, just note those two options can be found when expanding the HyperV option in the Windows Features tree.

Thanks everyone.

jaitaiwan, Mar 23, 2018
  4. Windows HyperV

Everything comes down to what CPU you have, if it supports Intel VT-x and if you have a BIOS that supports or enables VT-x by default.

Open up Device Manager and expand the CPU Tree, and finally post a screenshot or report back the exact CPU model you have.

One additional thing you might consider, is adding more RAM. For single virtualization 6GB might be just enough, but if you start experimenting with multiple VMs at once, then 16GB would be much better. You can virtualize 2 small VMs with 8GB of RAM but I would not recommend going that low, although I DO have that amount on my Virtulization Laptop.

slicendice, Mar 23, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    I agree - 6GB is not really enough. For Windows vms, you really need 4GB at least. I also found setting memory to dynamic was a bit hit or miss in performance, so I always switch it off and use static 4GB.

BTW if pc is only five years old, I would be very surprised if it was not Hyper-V capable.

cereberus, Mar 23, 2018
  6. I currently run with dynamic memory, where min memory is 512MB and startup and max memory is set to 2048MB. Works really well for Windows 10. Usually Hyper-V changes RAM to 800-1200MB for me. *Smile

EDIT: Sorry...since I upgraded my VMs to run with 4 cores, I use MIN 512, MAX 4096 and Startup 2048. This is on x64 Windows 10.

slicendice, Mar 23, 2018
  7. maranna Win User
    I attached 2 shots of the CPU.

I don't think it is wise to put more $ in this old machine so I will stick with 6GB RAM.

I could not quite understand some of what you said as I am only an average user.

I get the idea 6 GB is not adequate and a VM is a consideration for the next machine which may be soon.

maranna, Mar 23, 2018
  8. Windows HyperV

Don't worry...I have a worse laptop than yours and I still consider it a viable option to add up to 16GB of RAM. I have 8GB now.

You have everything in order for virtualization except for a bit tiny RAM.

slicendice, Mar 23, 2018
  9. maranna Win User
    The next pc will have sufficient RAM -thank you though.

maranna, Mar 23, 2018
  10. If you are going to virtualize stuff, use the old laptop for that. It would serve you well for years without consuming too much electricity.

slicendice, Mar 23, 2018
  11. maranna Win User
    >>This old 6GB desktop is my only pc - I have no laptop.so will leave it as is until it needs replacing.
    We love my wife's Chromebook, btw.

maranna, Mar 23, 2018
  12. Sorry I got confused with another thread that is about a laptop. Either way...your PC would serve well as a dedicated NAS and VM station. *Smile

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows HyperV

1. Windows HyperV - Similar Threads - HyperV

2. HyperV+wXP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HyperV+wXP: Anyone here tried wXP in HyperV and no LAN how did you add the LAN driver to the VM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hypervwxp/3ad817b5-d0f8-447e-a255-f647aba37b8c
  3. HyperV+wXP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HyperV+wXP: Anyone here tried wXP in HyperV and no LAN how did you add the LAN driver to the VM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hypervwxp/3ad817b5-d0f8-447e-a255-f647aba37b8c
  4. Can't select Ctrl+Alt+Del in HyperV

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select Ctrl+Alt+Del in HyperV: I cant send Ctrl+Alt+Del to my container and can't put it in "Enhanced Mode" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-select-ctrlaltdel-in-hyperv/ec2a5855-8f33-4838-80a1-a05dae20d72e
  5. Cant uninstall KaliLinux HyperV

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant uninstall KaliLinux HyperV: So I'm learning about cyber security right now, and i tried installing a VM, which I've done before, but i ended up installing the wrong one.I installed Kali Linux HyperV-amd64 but now i cant remove it, every time i try it says cant remove something that's currently in...
  6. Cant uninstall KaliLinux HyperV

Cant uninstall KaliLinux HyperV: So I'm learning about cyber security right now, and i tried installing a VM, which I've done before, but i ended up installing the wrong one.I installed Kali Linux HyperV-amd64 but now i cant remove it, every time i try it says cant remove something that's currently in...
  7. Vbox hyper-v problemm проблема с hyperv

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vbox hyper-v problemm проблема с hyperv: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is FALSE! Make sure you have enabled the 'Windows Hypervisor Platform' feature. VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE.если я даже виключал и включал hyper v і в настройках VT x включен все то всеравно не работает виртуальная машина...
  8. Vbox hyper-v problemm проблема с hyperv

Vbox hyper-v problemm проблема с hyperv: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is FALSE! Make sure you have enabled the 'Windows Hypervisor Platform' feature. VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE.если я даже виключал и включал hyper v і в настройках VT x включен все то всеравно не работает виртуальная машина...
  9. Win11 & HyperV wifi vswitch throttling speed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 & HyperV wifi vswitch throttling speed.: Something is wrong with the Hyper-V bridge adapter for Wi-Fi.Had a virtual switch created to bridge the net adapter for Wi-Fi, speed was capped at 100Mb down 0.3Mb up. Lan speed to the Wi-Fi router right next to the computer is 600Mb down 200 up. Disabling and deleting the...
  10. Win11 & HyperV wifi vswitch throttling speed.

Win11 & HyperV wifi vswitch throttling speed.: Something is wrong with the Hyper-V bridge adapter for Wi-Fi.Had a virtual switch created to bridge the net adapter for Wi-Fi, speed was capped at 100Mb down 0.3Mb up. Lan speed to the Wi-Fi router right next to the computer is 600Mb down 200 up. Disabling and deleting the...