Windows 10: Windows Image Backup failing

Discus and support Windows Image Backup failing in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My wife's Samsung laptop gets a failure whenever trying to do an image backup. Actually, this has been happening for quite a while - even before she... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ZoneIII, Feb 6, 2016.

1. ZoneIII Win User

Windows Image Backup failing

My wife's Samsung laptop gets a failure whenever trying to do an image backup. Actually, this has been happening for quite a while - even before she installed Windows 10 when she had W7. I was hoping that the problem would go away with W10 but it hasn't. Backup runs almost to the end and then fails with the attached message. The message says to run dskchk on both her drive and on the backup drive which I did. No problems were found. (I backup my desktop on that drive all the time with no problems.) I tried backing it up on another external drive that also tests good
    Windows Image Backup failing [​IMG]
    but got the same error message. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

:)

ZoneIII, Feb 6, 2016
  2. CorneyXE Win User

Failing to Create System Image backup

I've found out the problem. I tried using 3rd party software 2 of them and they resulted in giving me an error that the files have been altered and cannot be opened however on one of them allowed for the backup to be placed in document folder. From then
    on i was to transfer it to the USB 1tb flash drive. the problem is that the transfer speed to the USB flash drive diminishes after 8% to 0 bytes/s. it stalls until i get the same error. I don't know why the transfer speed diminishes i have tried to change
    the policy in the device manager and the USB3.0 feature is enabled in the BIOS since i am using USB 3.0 Flash drive.I have tried another USB same problem

CorneyXE, Feb 6, 2016
  3. CorneyXE Win User
    Failing to Create System Image backup

Here are the result of the SFC Scan

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

CorneyXE, Feb 6, 2016
  4. OldMX Win User

OldMX, Feb 6, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Try this command. It is supposed to fix the VSS.

"%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe /d srrstr.dll,ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation"

Else you can of course use other programs for imaging. I like free Macrium.

Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums

6. ZoneIII Win User
    Thanks folks. I'm not sure what the link provided by OldMx is but I'll try to figure it out later when I have access to my wife's laptop. I'm very hesitant to download stuff when I don't know what it is. I'm not sure if it's another backup program or what and the text isn't clear to me. I'll try whs's command first. I'll report back if the problem is fixed.

ZoneIII, Feb 7, 2016
  7. ZoneIII Win User
    OK, I tried whs's command but it came up as invalid. (I copied and pasted it less the quotation marks, of course, so a typo on my part isn't a possibility.)
    Without having any idea what the link was in the other post after trying to decipher it, I don't want to download it. I'm not sure what the other link is, either, but I would really rather fix the existing problem than download other tools that I'm not familiar with.

Any other suggestions on how to fix Image Backup would be greatly appreciated.

ZoneIII, Feb 7, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Lots of us use a 3rd party program for image backups. One of the popular ones is Macrium Reflect. This a Free program.
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    That is the link to their site. It also makes a Rescue boot disk, using either a DVD or USB stick. I find that Macrium is much more reliable than Windows backup. Take a look at it, try it, you may like it as much as others users on here.
    Mike...

OldMike65, Feb 7, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    If you want to use Windows backup/imaging you will be more or less on your own because only very few people know anything about it. But trial and error may get you there. Good luck.

You can also use this command for backup:

WBADMIN START BACKUP -backupTarget:E: -include:T:

This will image partition T: on the root of disk E:

I used a small sample partition T: and this is what it does:

And here it is on E>

10. ZoneIII Win User

ZoneIII, Feb 8, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    Did you try the command I gave you and did that work. The result is the same as a normal image backup.

12. ZoneIII Win User
    No, I didn't because I didn't have access to my wife's laptop at the time. Also, I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not clear on what the command will do.

"This will image partition T: on the root of disk E:"

I'm not sure what "disk E" is. I backup on external drives and they aren't partitioned.

I think before trying something that I'm not clear about, I'm going to see if I can fix the root problem and get Windows backup working first.

Thanks!

ZoneIII, Feb 9, 2016
  13. ZoneIII Win User

No, I didn't because I didn't have access to my wife's laptop at the time. Also, I wasn't sure what this was all about....

"This will image partition T: on the root of disk E:"

I'm hesitant to start partitioning disks without knowing what T is and root disk E is. I'm just a user and I don't want to do anything that may make changes that I don't want. In fact, I don't even know what disk E is. I'm not an idiot when it comes to PCs but I'm not an expert either and I don't like to run commands that I don't fully understand.

I think I'm going to try to get a fix for Windows backup so it runs the normal way first. By doing a search for the entire error message, I found a lot of information but I didn't have time to go through it all the other day. It was obvious that I wasn't the only person having the problem so maybe someone has a fix.

Thanks!

ZoneIII, Feb 9, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    The command is Windows backup in it's purest form. "Partition T" is the partition you want to image. Just replace "T" with the real letter of that partition. And "disk E" is the letter of the disk to which you want to write the image. Replace "E" also with the letter of the disk which you will use for the backup. It will write it to that disk and you cannot specify a particular folder - that's why I said to the root of the disk.

Thema:

1. Windows Image Backup failing - Similar Threads - Image Backup failing

2. Image Backup Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image Backup Failed: Got a message that my regular image backup failed. The reason was stated as"Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition ESP.This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP. Please retry the operation.Details: Access is denied."I...
  3. Image Backup Failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image Backup Failed: Got a message that my regular image backup failed. The reason was stated as"Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition ESP.This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP. Please retry the operation.Details: Access is denied."I...
  4. Image Backup Failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. image backup failed

image backup failed: while going for image backup , it is automatically selecting ""unmanned drive system"" along with c:/ drive and the error says "" one of the volumes specified for backup is invalid because it is either not a fixed drive ,is not formatted NTFS/ReFS,or is read only . To...
  6. Windows image backup on network drive fails

Windows image backup on network drive fails: I thought I was a well versed person, so I set up a drive with a folder called Client Computer Backup. From another machine, I tried to set up a system image backup to that shared folder. First, I added a user account called Backup. I have the "requiring a password" option...
  7. Windows System Image backup failing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows System Image backup failing: Win 10 Pro 1904. I run a System Image Backup via File History every week or so, and did so after installing 1904 last week. Today's run is failing. I did swap in a new nonsystem backup HDD earlier today that had been cloned previously and reestablished some drive letters (and...
  8. System image backup failed

System image backup failed: System image backup failed FIRST ATTEMPT The backup failed The operation timed-out before the shadow copy was created on the storage location (0x80780036) Additional Information: The shadow copy provider timed out \while flushing data to the volume being shadow...
  9. System Image Backup Failed In Windows 10

System Image Backup Failed In Windows 10: Today I wish to share this solution that I found from this community credited by Syed Abdul Jabbar that he answered this issue long time ago.(Replied on September 21, 2015) In case you did not see it. However, First before you will do this step, I would like to share a trick...
  10. system image backup failed

system image backup failed: I had a successful image backup a year ago. However, recently, when I tried to do image backup, it failed. Please see the attached file. It happened on version 1809. I checked history service and volume shadow copy service and both of them were on automatic and had started. I...