Windows 10: Windows immediately restarts following shut down from power menu.

Discus and support Windows immediately restarts following shut down from power menu. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have had this problem with one of my PC's based on an ASUS MB ever since it was upgraded to Windows 10. The restart can be prevented by holding the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Viawind, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Viawind Win User

Windows immediately restarts following shut down from power menu.

I have had this problem with one of my PC's based on an ASUS MB ever since it was upgraded to Windows 10. The restart can be prevented by holding the shift key down when pressing shutdown. This is slightly inconvenient but I have put up with it for several years. However a second ASUS MB based PC I have running Windows 10 recently developed the same problem following an ASUS BIOS update. Searching the web and forums it is clear this is not a completely uncommon problem, nor confined to ASUS MB based systems. Suggested cures, including that from ASUS support, are to rebuild the all the software, indicating to me there is no generally understood reason for this behavior.

To try and understand the problem I experimented with the behavior of the ShutDown (shutdown.exe) command in the command window running administrative privileges. I found "shutdown /s" would have the restarting behavior but "shutdown /s /t 1", i.e. shutdown after a 1 second delay, did not. Miraculously after these experiments I found that the problem was cured with the windows key main Power Menu ShutDown selection. Clearly some variable in the operation of shutdown.exe had been set differently. Unfortunately I could not duplicate this fix on the second PC.

As a workaround I created a shortcut with the command "shutdown /s /t 1" (spaces are necessary). This reliably shuts down the second PC without invoking a restart. Perhaps someone with a detailed knowledge of the shutdown procedure can explain what is happening here and provide a reliable cure, perhaps via a registry variable.

:)

Viawind, Mar 5, 2019
  2. carbuff Win User

Menu shuts down

At the far bottom left corner of the desktop is the Windows 10 logo. When clicked by mouse, a menu screen and a search bar opens

On my computer the menu most often opens and immediately closes. There is not enough time to allow me to access any 3rd party programs on the menu or to employ the listed Windows 10 apps including restart and power down.

Suggestions to correct this problem are appreciated.

carbuff, Mar 5, 2019
  3. ilgoldman Win User
    Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Windows immediately restarts following shut down from power menu. :confused:*Mad Windows immediately restarts following shut down from power menu. :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Mar 5, 2019
  4. Windows immediately restarts following shut down from power menu.

Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

Try below command:

Code:
    Code:
    shutdown -h now
    If above command wont work try below suggestion.

1. Click the “K” menu in the bottom left corner.
    2. Click “Logout”.
    3. Knoppix will begin shutting down.
    4. The Knoppix CD will be ejected.
    5. Remove the CD and close the tray.
    6. Press Enter on the keyboard.
    7. Knoppix will attempt to turn off the computer automatically. If it doesn't turn off automatically, it is now safe to turn off the computer yourself using the power button.

FreeBooter, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows immediately restarts following shut down from power menu.

1. Windows immediately restarts following shut down from power menu. - Similar Threads - immediately restarts following

2. Constant “Shutting down…” and/or “Restarting…” following Cumulative Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant “Shutting down…” and/or “Restarting…” following Cumulative Update: I installed the most recent cumulative update for Windows 10 on my laptop. It did not install properly, and since then when I try to Shut Down I receive a constant “Shutting down…” message. Even after the computer has been shutting down overnight. Finally, I pressed the power...
  3. Constant “Shutting down…” and/or “Restarting…” following Cumulative Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant “Shutting down…” and/or “Restarting…” following Cumulative Update: I installed the most recent cumulative update for Windows 10 on my laptop. It did not install properly, and since then when I try to Shut Down I receive a constant “Shutting down…” message. Even after the computer has been shutting down overnight. Finally, I pressed the power...
  4. Constant “Shutting down…” and/or “Restarting…” following Cumulative Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Word document shuts down immediately

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Word document shuts down immediately: When i open a Word Document a window appears asking for Repair. Once I click on Repair it shuts down the document. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-word-document-shuts-down-immediately/2222cf3e-7022-4525-8c41-fc7e31ef70ab
  6. Computer Restarts Etc. When Shut Down from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Restarts Etc. When Shut Down from Start Menu: OS: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit, v. 1903, build 18362.476 Hi all. Yesterday when I wanted to shut down my computer (Start > on/off > shut down comp.), it did not shut down, but restarted and asked for password. I then tried again to shut down the compter (Start > on/off...
  7. laptop is immediately restarting after I shut it down

in Windows 10 Support
    laptop is immediately restarting after I shut it down: This happened to me for the first time earlier today. I clicked 'shut down' on my HP laptop, the screen did the usual thing and went black, but then just a few seconds later the screen lit up with the 'welcome' page. Did the same thing several times and then I had to leave...
  8. Power Shell Shuts Down Immediately

in Windows 10 Support
    Power Shell Shuts Down Immediately: Trying to fix a 'memory management error' on Win10 I'm told to run scannow. So I try to run PowerShell. It flickers into life and then immediately disappears. I try to find it in the search bar and find I can't type into the search field ! ? 125234
  9. power on/shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power on/shut down: I recently reset my laptop back to the original settings. Ever since when I want to shut down now my laptop I only see Sleep, Update and Shut down and Update and Restart. I don't see the simple Shut down option. I don't want to continually update. How can I get this fixed?...
  10. Menu shuts down

in Windows 10 Support
    Menu shuts down: At the far bottom left corner of the desktop is the Windows 10 logo. When clicked by mouse, a menu screen and a search bar opens On my computer the menu most often opens and immediately closes. There is not enough time to allow me to access any 3rd party programs on the...