Windows 10: Windows in restart loop after changing a registry key

Discus and support Windows in restart loop after changing a registry key in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I was looking to change the display font for some applications in windows 10, I changed the key for MS Shell dlg2 in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ali Raa'ed, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Windows in restart loop after changing a registry key

Hi,

I was looking to change the display font for some applications in windows 10,

I changed the key for MS Shell dlg2 in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/FontSubstitues/

from "Tahoma" to "Segoe UI"

after restart I, windows wont start.

the boot dots moving, keeps on for about 20 seconds. and then restart. and repeat. it tries auto repair, nothing.

(keep in mind boot usually takes 2 seconds, this is a m.2 ssd with 16gb ram and Core-i7 7th gen laptop)

this is my work laptop and I can't afford to erase it, I also need it on a daily basis for work.

here is what I've tried so far.

- used command prompt to open regedit, load hive and fix the reg key back to normal.

- ran startup repair. (not successful)

- system restore. (which was successful)

- booting into all methods of boot (safe boot, low resolution, disable auto restart) [doesn't work, in case of "disable auto restart" it just display a black screen forever]

- ran sfc /scannow on the windows dir

none of them worked

I fixed the error that I made in the first place! what could be the problem??!

has this key change triggered something else to change?

why system restore hasn't fixed it?

I am out of ideas now.

:)

Ali Raa'ed, Jan 28, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

Modded Registry. Want Old Back....

did you try this

To restore the registry
    Open Registry Editor.
    Click Options, and then click Print to print these instructions. (If you are using the Help and Support Center, click Print above the topic area.) They will not be available after you shut down your computer in step 2.
    Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
    In the list, click Restart, and then click OK.
    When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
    Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
    NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.
    Caution

Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your computer.
    Notes

To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Choosing Last Known Good Configuration provides a way to recover from problems such as a newly added driver that may be incorrect for your hardware. It does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers or files.
    When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, Windows restores information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet only. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.

Frogger, Jan 28, 2019
  3. Windows 10 restart loop

Hi,

To understand the issue better, I would like to ask some questions:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa from the link provided below and check if it helps.

Windows 10 Restart loop

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 28, 2019
  4. Windows in restart loop after changing a registry key

Windows Registry Key

Does anyone know which registry key(s) report(s) to software which OS you are running?

Thermopylae_480, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows in restart loop after changing a registry key

1. Windows in restart loop after changing a registry key - Similar Threads - restart loop changing

2. Stuck in restart loop after restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in restart loop after restart: I restart my PC and it is stuck in a restart loop. I waited for 1 hour and a half but it won’t go into automatic repair. It just shows the start up screen with the HP logo and the loading circle as usual. But when the logo and the circle thing disappears, it reappears a few...
  3. Stuck in restart loop after restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in restart loop after restart: I restart my PC and it is stuck in a restart loop. I waited for 1 hour and a half but it won’t go into automatic repair. It just shows the start up screen with the HP logo and the loading circle as usual. But when the logo and the circle thing disappears, it reappears a few...
  4. Windows will occasionally stall when restarting possibly after registry changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows will occasionally stall when restarting possibly after registry changes: Hi there, I've had a reoccurring issue with my ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DD laptop for quite a while now. I purchased this laptop in 2019 running Windows 10 and soon after I noticed that the laptop would occasionally stall when restarting. Windows itself would seem to stop...
  5. Windows will occasionally stall when restarting possibly after registry changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows will occasionally stall when restarting possibly after registry changes: Hi there, I've had a reoccurring issue with my ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DD laptop for quite a while now. I purchased this laptop in 2019 running Windows 10 and soon after I noticed that the laptop would occasionally stall when restarting. Windows itself would seem to stop...
  6. News Feeds Registry Key Resets after restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    News Feeds Registry Key Resets after restart: In a previous question I asked how to completely disable the news feeds from the task bar because my son new how to reenable it and was blowing a lot of time looking at news articles.I can open his profile on the computer, open regedit, and then edit the...
  7. Registry change keeps reverting back after restart.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Registry change keeps reverting back after restart.: so my laptop has a popping sound problem and I fix it by using this method, I change all the registry value to 00 from the default 05. it keeps the registry value when I use shut down but it keeps reverting back to default (05) if I use a restart or if there's a windows...
  8. windows defender registry key change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender registry key change: hi, my windows denfender services become disable , not sure why. I already take ownership of registry key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend then change start key from 4 to 2, it still unable to change the key? any idea?...
  9. Change Registry-Key with Powershell

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Registry-Key with Powershell: Hi Forum I have a Problem with changing Registry-Keys with PowerShell. I use the following entry: $path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers \StorageOnArrival" Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name Default -Value...
  10. Change Registry-Key with Powershell

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Change Registry-Key with Powershell: Hi Forum I have a Problem with changing Registry-Keys with PowerShell. I use the following entry: $path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers \StorageOnArrival" Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name Default -Value...