Windows 10: windows indexing options - removable drives - keep disappearing from included locations

Discus and support windows indexing options - removable drives - keep disappearing from included locations in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi i have a windows 10 pc. i mount removable drives to the pc's Y & Z. i open 'indexing options'. i add Y & Z. Y & Z are indexed. i reboot the pc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ScottFerrell4151, Jan 15, 2021.

1. windows indexing options - removable drives - keep disappearing from included locations

hi i have a windows 10 pc. i mount removable drives to the pc's Y & Z. i open 'indexing options'. i add Y & Z. Y & Z are indexed. i reboot the pc perhaps even put pc to hibernate then bring back from hibernate even tho removable drives still attached. i remount the removable drives to Y & Z required if a reboot the pc but not if i put pc to hibernate then bring back from hibernate. i browse the files on Y & Z... slow fast pc but a lot of files & folders. i open indexing options... Y & Z are no longer listed in the included locations. i select modify and add Y & Z. repeat repeat repeat. what are the best options for solving this problem? a less important problem... it appears that advanced options > file types > 'index properties and file contents' keeps re-setting to 'index properties only' as well. i am not opposed to a 'hack'. i already have a batch script that kicks off when i start up the pc that waits until it sees Y & Z to restart the windows indexing service. one theory that i have is... if i create junctions from a non-removable drive e.g. c:\indexY and c:\indexZ to Y & Z then will windows index the files on Y & Z thru the junction on the non-removable drive? in short, i don't want to have to keep adding Y & Z to the indexing 'included locations'. i could not find useful powershell commands or scripts for that matter e.g. Get-WindowsIndexedLocations to check then if needed Set-WindowsIndexedLocations -Add "Z:\" -IndexFileContent "True" thanks in advance �

:)

ScottFerrell4151, Jan 15, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Indexing included locations keep disappearing

I don't know how to find such a list for you- but Option 3 here includes resetting the search index.
    Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

Is that perhaps what you meant by 'rebuilding the index' - which is a different thing- that means deleting the search index and starting search with nothing indexed, but using the indexed locations without changing them.

So question as asked above remains outstanding.

dalchina, Jan 15, 2021
  3. windows 10 indexing and removing web results revisited

Hi,

Win 10 Pro version 1607

There alot of posts on these topics, and at least some are outdated. Hoping for some new insight that I couldn't find amongst all the older posts.

• Cortana web search suggestions interfere substantially in the usability of Windows 10 search functionality for me. How do I remove them entirely from the list of suggested results? There no longer seems to be a setting in Cortana to disable this.
    • Indexing has been "completed" on this new Windows 10 Pro machine. I have a 1TB data drive with 500GB of documents, images, videos, etc. The data drive is included in the indexed locations. Identically named files in one folder on the drive show up in
      search results, while those in another folder do not show up. Some word documents show up, others don't. Folder names also do not show up in the search results. The contents of this data drive were previously on a data drive in a Win7 machine, where the
      indexing and search results were instant, comprehensive, and accurate: the results list included any match or partial match of a file name, folder name, or (for certain file types) document content. How do I achieve a comparable level of performance in Windows
      10?
    Things I have tried:

• Running the troubleshooter as an administrator: no suggestions.
    • Rebuilding the index. I am unclear whether I "did this as an administrator". I did it while logged in as an administrator, but I cannot right click and run the Indexing Options "as an administrator".
    • I have verified that text document types (word docs, txt, etc.) have both properties and contents indexed.
    Thanks

Russell

RussellWyeth, Jan 15, 2021
  4. windows indexing options - removable drives - keep disappearing from included locations

Indexing included locations keep disappearing

Hey guys....

Usually I always have start menu and users in the indexing options...today they disappeared...I rebuilt the index..they came back ... An hour later again their not their..

Any ideas

Steven Campoli, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

windows indexing options - removable drives - keep disappearing from included locations

1. windows indexing options - removable drives - keep disappearing from included locations - Similar Threads - indexing options removable

2. How do I include App Data in the Included Locations in Indexing Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I include App Data in the Included Locations in Indexing Windows 11?: No matter what I try - removing AppData from the Excluded folders time after time, this keeps on being excluded. I am now rebuilding Indexing however the AppData has reappeared in Excluded once more. Is this some sort of default that can be overridden? Thanks....
  3. How do I include App Data in the Included Locations in Indexing Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I include App Data in the Included Locations in Indexing Windows 11?: No matter what I try - removing AppData from the Excluded folders time after time, this keeps on being excluded. I am now rebuilding Indexing however the AppData has reappeared in Excluded once more. Is this some sort of default that can be overridden? Thanks....
  4. Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive

in Cortana
    Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive: Searching any C-drive folders on my machine was taking a long time and not returning any results always returns "No items match your search", so I am attempting to change the indexing options to include my C-drive. However, when I select it on the Indexed Locations dialog,...
  5. Indexing included locations keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing included locations keep disappearing: Hey guys.... Usually I always have start menu and users in the indexing options...today they disappeared...I rebuilt the index..they came back ... An hour later again their not their.. Any ideas 134259
  6. Indexing included locations keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing included locations keep disappearing: Hey guys.... Usually I always have start menu and users in the indexing options...today they disappeared...I rebuilt the index..they came back ... An hour later again their not their.. Any ideas 134259
  7. Indexed Locations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Indexed Locations: Does anybody knows why this "csc://...." thing is in my indexed locations? I cant't get rid of it and everytime i uncheck it it comes again checked. Also when i scroll the mouse over it, it tells me that the location is not available. Help [ATTACH]...
  8. Indexing Options removed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Indexing Options removed: I have been using Windows Index search for years. I have all my data in one directory on my D:\. I have set the indexing options to include this location and some others. Recently Windows has been dropping my selections and reverting to the default locations. I have reset my...
  9. Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Locations for Search Index in Windows 10 By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the...
  10. Indexing Options keeps reverting to default

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing Options keeps reverting to default: Hi all, I have been trying to set my Windows 10 Home 64-bit computer to index only the Start Menu but not anything else (such as IE Favourites, Documents). I know exactly where all my documents are; the only time I use search is something like, I press the Win key, and...