Windows 10: Windows inexplicably not activated and more after recent update

Discus and support Windows inexplicably not activated and more after recent update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've had this PC for 2 years, never changed any hardware, but after the recent update it says it’s not activated. Tried re-entering my key at Change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by markt99, Dec 19, 2019.

1. markt99 Win User

Windows inexplicably not activated and more after recent update

I've had this PC for 2 years, never changed any hardware, but after the recent update it says it’s not activated. Tried re-entering my key at Change Product Key. Thatbriefly confirms it's activated, but the Settings page soon changes to say it can't be activated, AND several hours later the ‘Activate Windows’ watermark returns. The Settings/Activation page says the key has been used on another device, which is not true. Error code is 0xC004C020. Finally, the last 5 numbers of the key shown in Settings are not the same as in my actual key.

PC was purchased new from Dell with Windows 10 Pro preinstalled, but now claims to be WindowsEnterprise. It isn't complaining about that yet, but it's wrong.

Been on 2 long tech support calls with no results. One agent had me try the "default" key; that didn't work either. No other software has been installed or changed for several months, and again,no hardware has been changed, ever. I see posts from a year ago describing the same problem & saying it's an issue with MS's activation servers and is "temporary." Eh??

I know that normally, when Windows isn't activated, certain functions like changing display properties aren't allowed. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Any ideas? Will the next update reverse this? Will my system collapse in the meantime?

:)

markt99, Dec 19, 2019
  2. Terrypin Win User

Inexplicable restarts

Thanks for your patient help and analysis, zbook. I'll step through some of your suggestions over the next few days - there's a lot to do and some look a bit hairy! That is, for a PC that is working sweetly right now...

Meanwhile, as requested in the BSOD thread (sorry, I misunderstood and posted there by mistake), I've attached both ZIP files.
    --------------------
    One step I did try right away was to answer your question about whether my BIOS is up-to-date. I had no success at the AMI site but did get some info from this commercial site:

Windows inexplicably not activated and more after recent update [​IMG]

It was one of the '9' (I counted 10) listed here:

Windows inexplicably not activated and more after recent update [​IMG]

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, Dec 19, 2019
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Dec 19, 2019
  4. cl1001 Win User

Child account - Recent Activity & Web Browsing issues not collected

I tried the suggested action, but still not seeing any recent activities listed.

cl1001, Dec 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows inexplicably not activated and more after recent update - Similar Threads - inexplicably activated more

2. Windows update overrides a more recent intel driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update overrides a more recent intel driver: Graphic intel driver 31.0.101.2125 dated 2023 june 15th solves screen flickering problem occuring after installing KB5023706However, Windows Update overrides this driver with an older version 26.20.100.7926 dated 2020 Feb 25Please fix windows update process to make sure...
  3. Windows update overrides a more recent intel driver

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update overrides a more recent intel driver: Graphic intel driver 31.0.101.2125 dated 2023 june 15th solves screen flickering problem occuring after installing KB5023706However, Windows Update overrides this driver with an older version 26.20.100.7926 dated 2020 Feb 25Please fix windows update process to make sure...
  4. Recently Asked for Windows Activation after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently Asked for Windows Activation after update: For 2 years no issues and now unable to activate window 11 with Error 0XC004F213 . Troubleshooter unable to solve. And can't locate activation key which was in the packaging. I was able to find this: Software licensing service version: 100.22621.1555Name: WindowsR, Enterprise...
  5. Recently Asked for Windows Activation after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recently Asked for Windows Activation after update: For 2 years no issues and now unable to activate window 11 with Error 0XC004F213 . Troubleshooter unable to solve. And can't locate activation key which was in the packaging. I was able to find this: Software licensing service version: 100.22621.1555Name: WindowsR, Enterprise...
  6. Windows asking to be activated after most recent update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows asking to be activated after most recent update: Hello,My Recently updated a windows feature update the other day. the one that added the stupid weather thing to my taskbar. Now I have an overlay constantly telling me to activate windows. I have a legitimate copy of windows I've been using for years. I go to activation and...
  7. Windows 10 asking to be activated after the most recent update.

Windows 10 asking to be activated after the most recent update.: After the recent Update for windows 10 , my computer now says that I have to activate windows all of the sudden where I never had the issue for I have a legal version of windows 10. Please help me resolve this issue for I am not paying for another product key if I have the...
  8. Getting no more PC updates recently

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting no more PC updates recently: Hello, For as long as they had my PC I have been getting updates from Microsoft on a regular basis. Sometimes, I was able to schedule when the update will take place. Other times, I wasn't given an option. And a few times I only discovered that an update was pending when I...
  9. Inexplicable restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Inexplicable restarts: I'd be very grateful for some expert help on the following please. I run my PC 24/7. For the last two nights and again today it has restarted inexplicably. I'm trying to discover what caused it. Studying Event logs quickly leaves me wondering how my PC can be working at...
  10. windows won't activate after most recent update

windows won't activate after most recent update: i got a brand new computer recently that came with windows 10. i had to reinstall it a few times because of issues i thought were related to the installation (plus the first attempt asked me for a key which i didn't have, the second one didn't). i didn't activate right away....