Windows 10: Windows Insider Builds: Cannot boot into Windows after 18298 Windows Update install fails

Discus and support Windows Insider Builds: Cannot boot into Windows after 18298 Windows Update install fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Before I state my issue, why is it that I can't find a link for critical Insider build issues? If there is one I should be using then please point me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by creetisvan, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Windows Insider Builds: Cannot boot into Windows after 18298 Windows Update install fails

Before I state my issue, why is it that I can't find a link for critical Insider build issues? If there is one I should be using then please point me to it.

Last night Windows Update installed Windows 10 Insider Preview 18298.1000 (rs_prerelease). When I returned to my pc today I found my pc hung with only the Dell logo displaying. Upon hard reboot the system ran diagnostics: no issues found. The pc then gets into a perpetual loop where each hard reboot alternates between hung-with-Dell-logo and running diagnostics. When I boot using a Windows Recovery USB and choose to repair a message appears stating that the repair attempt failed and to choose advanced options. This pc (Dell Inspiron 7327 laptop) has no disc drive so I don't have a image file, and I have no system restore point--though I am creating one now it doesn't resolve the core problem as it will still be an old Insider build.

Searching the web (using another source, of course) I tried different possible solutions in the Recovery Command Prompt that involve the boot partition, BCD, Diskpart, ReAgent, WInRE--you name it, it's basically me flailing about trying to fix the damn thing. I don't know what I did but eventually upon reboot I get an "undoing recent changes" message, and voila, I'm able to boot into Windows--and the build displaying is 18290re_prerelease.181121-1501.

Below is a screen grab of what I see in Windows Update History: that 18298 was successfully installed on 12/13/2018 (???) but failed last night. Settings/Windows Update shows this same build downloading at 0% but if it ever gets to 100% I refuse to install that build until I get some help to ensure that I'm not going to go through this huge waste of time again--I'm not even going to turn the pc until I get this resolved just to be safe.

Some help/direction please? Thanks.

Windows Insider Builds: Cannot boot into Windows after 18298 Windows Update install fails 6d4546cf-c3b3-4ae9-880d-2737a4ce49fb?upload=true.png

:)

creetisvan, Dec 19, 2018
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Dec 19, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Windows Insider Builds: Cannot boot into Windows after 18298 Windows Update install fails

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

Windows Insider Builds: Cannot boot into Windows after 18298 Windows Update install fails

1. Windows Insider Builds: Cannot boot into Windows after 18298 Windows Update install fails - Similar Threads - Insider Builds Cannot

2. Windows fails to install insider updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows fails to install insider updates: Hello, I joined Windows insider dev version couple weeks ago to test it out and it installed the 1st insider update well but for some reason now it keeps showing green screen of death after the computer is restarting. # What I have did - Retried to update insider. -...
  3. Windows updates and insider builds

Windows updates and insider builds: purchased used laptop in may with Windows 8.1 installed. Did upgrade to windows 10. Not receiving updates and not receiving insider builds. Problem is cannot do downloads of such …. current build is 17134.799 version 1803. Please help....
  4. Announcing Windows Server vNext Insider Preview Build 18298 - Dec. 18

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows Server vNext Insider Preview Build 18298 - Dec. 18: Hello Windows Insiders! Today we are pleased to release a new Insider build of the Windows Server VNext Semi-Annual Channel release. What’s New In this preview build we are adding support for Network Policies using Tigera Calico for Windows Containers. The latest Tigera...
  5. "No Audio Output Device is Installed" Windows 10 Home Insider Preview Build 18298

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "No Audio Output Device is Installed" Windows 10 Home Insider Preview Build 18298: Just as the title says. Once updating my PC to Windows 10 Home Insider Preview Build 18298, the error message on the Sound icon reads "No Audio Output Device Installed". Troubleshooter says cannot find the problem. Device Manager options: Disable, enabled -- nothing....
  6. Build 18298 upgrade failure

Build 18298 upgrade failure: Now I'm on the 18290 build. - Update center proceeds as usual (downloading, installing, etc) - Then it asks to restart. Doing it's preparation. Still as usual. - And next it reboots and I see the upgrade screen just for a second and it reboots again and "Undoing...
  7. No sound after install 18298

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No sound after install 18298: Installed the new insider 18298 and after install there is no sound. Tried an old driver => no sound, removed the driver and search with WU => found an older driver and installed => no sound. Tried with troubleshooter => couldn't identify the problem. It shows me that "no...
  8. What’s new and improved in Windows 10 Build 18298 for Insiders

in Windows 10 News
    What’s new and improved in Windows 10 Build 18298 for Insiders: Microsoft today surprisingly released a new Windows 10 Build 18298 for Insiders in the Fast Ring. The latest build is from the next update dubbed ’19H1′ and it comes with many new improvements. There are no new features included in the build but Microsoft has made a lot of...
  9. Windows Insider build: 17758.1 fails to install

Windows Insider build: 17758.1 fails to install: Good day, I am having issues installing Windows Insider build 17758.1. I am able to download the update and install it onto my machine. The issue occurs when I restart my machine. After restarting my machine I am presented with the progress of the install. After the...
  10. Windows won't install update to insider build

Windows won't install update to insider build: I have registered my account to get insider builds, and am currently signed up under the "Active development of Windows" category with the pace of new builds set to slow. I am currently on build 17134.228 and trying to update to 17713.1002. Windows Update (via settings) shows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kernel dma protection turn on

2. windows tablet not able to boot build 18298