Windows 10: Windows install wont boot even after repeated attemps to refresh or to reset EFI,attempt to...

Discus and support Windows install wont boot even after repeated attemps to refresh or to reset EFI,attempt to... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So i Have a windows 10 Home install on my laptop, i had been using it for about a year after which upgrading to the 1809 update everything went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by -AjDj-, May 17, 2019.

1. -AjDj- Win User

Windows install wont boot even after repeated attemps to refresh or to reset EFI,attempt to...

So i Have a windows 10 Home install on my laptop, i had been using it for about a year after which upgrading to the 1809 update everything went downhill BSODS (related to my graphics drivers misbehaving ) apps not working and windows straight up just giving CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. and after this BSOD windows wont boot i could get to the command prompt where i attempted to reset EFI as suggested online on other forums, which screwed me harder, my laptop has 2 partitions 1 for Windows and 1 for recovery. Now after doing this my System would still not boot but every time i attempted to boot to the recovery environment it would come back with another error screen. And somehow the internal display of my laptop broke so i currently use it with an External HDD (which boots to 1607) hooked up to my TV. I also dont have a a pendrive greater than 4GBs right now so im stuck ,besides i cant open the bios cause my screen is dead. So i attempted to download the windows 1809 iso and hook up my internal HDD to a VM ,and that wont boot to the installer for some reason it always defaults to the windows install which i am attempting to repair , i assume this was because of Windows bootloader, i have disabled booting from the HDD in the VM, this was in BIOS mode ,i then tried EFI mode where the installer starts doing the spinning animation and then stops and comes to a black screen.

My Specs

AMD Radeon 520 (its an OEM card)

AMD A9-9420 (7th Gen,dual core )

16GB of dual channel RAM DDR4 at 1866Mhz

the internal HDD is a Toshiba 1TB HDD.

The laptop model:- "HP 15q-by002ax"

:)

-AjDj-, May 17, 2019

2. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

Background

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a boot sector technology poised to replace the venerable Master Boot Record (MBR) principally because MBR has a maximum capacity of 2 TB for a single partition (some single disks have reached 3 TB). Installing Windows on a GPT is a bit tricky because Windows wants to default back to MBR. In order to force Windows on to a GPT, we have to pre-format the drive prior to Windows installation. You can do that during Windows setup using the console.

Requirements

• Windows Vista or 7 (must be 64-bit no matter which OS is used)
    • A motherboard with EFI BIOS
    • A means to EFI boot the Windows setup (I had to use a USB DVD drive on MSI Z77A-G65, the internal SATA Bluray drives didn't have an EFI option)
    Instructions

• Boot into Windows setup using EFI. On the MSI Z77A-G65, it showed up as UEFI:USB-ATAPI DVD ... This will change according to your motherboard and how you are attempting to enter setup. This step is critical. Without booting into setup via EFI, only MBR is available to the setup. There's no easy way to tell from within setup if it is running via EFI or not.
    • Once you have booted into setup, continue through the process as you would normally until you reach the dialog which shows you the available drives. Load a driver, if necessary, then press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt.
    • In the command prompt, enter the following lines, pressing enter after each one. Note that the <id> field below is the disk ID that you want to format as GPT from the "list disk" command. If there's only one drive, <id> will likely be 1. Note: All data on the drive will be lost during this process. Make sure to select the correct drive.
      • diskpart
      • list disk
      • select disk <id>
      • online disk
      • attributes disk clear readonly
      • clean
      • convert gpt
      • create partition efi size=102
      • create partition msr size=32
      • create partition primary
      • format fs=ntfs label="Operating System"
      • assign letter=C
      • exit
      "online disk" and "attributes disk clear readonly" are likely to fail. Don't worry, they are only precautionary. Change the drive letter and label to whatever you want. Also, the above command (specifically "create partition primary") will consume all remaining space on the drive. If you want multiple partitions with fixed sizes, substitute what you want in place of "create partition primary."
    • You may now close the command prompt and click on "Refresh" back in the dialog to choose where to install Windows. You should now see at least 2 partitions (I think Microsoft Reserved is hidden) and it will only let you install on a non EFI/MSR partition. Click on the primary partition and proceed with the installation as normal.
    • Note that in the EFI BIOS after installing Windows via EFI, you can no longer directly boot the volume Windows is installed on. Instead, you must boot via "Windows Boot Manager" (on MSI Z77A-G65, it was "UEFI: Windows Boot Manager"). Keep that in mind if you wish to tweak the boot order.
    Conclusion

That should do it. You should be in Windows with >2 TB of hard drive capacity available if you had more than 2 TB on the Windows partition. Congratulations being on the bleeding edge of technology! *Rockout :rockout:

FordGT90Concept, May 17, 2019
  3. Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, May 17, 2019
  4. niko084 Win User

Windows install wont boot even after repeated attemps to refresh or to reset EFI,attempt to...

Insurgency wont install and run for me....

I have played and have fully updated CS and Half life 2....
    I am using the newest client and installed the SDK.

I am completely blown away, if i click the desktop icon it starts the sdk and then closes, and it doesn't show up in my game list...

First mod attempt install here, followed the directions step by step on the mods website...

Any ideas?

niko084, May 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows install wont boot even after repeated attemps to refresh or to reset EFI,attempt to... - Similar Threads - install wont boot

2. Repeated bluescreens, even after Windows reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeated bluescreens, even after Windows reset: Hello,I had repeated Bluescreens at random times, there doesnt seem to be any obvious consistency when the bluescreens happen and with the error code that I got, I tried most thing the internet gave as suggestions. In the mean time I changed GPU and PSU and the issue still...
  3. Repeated bluescreens, even after Windows reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repeated bluescreens, even after Windows reset: Hello,I had repeated Bluescreens at random times, there doesnt seem to be any obvious consistency when the bluescreens happen and with the error code that I got, I tried most thing the internet gave as suggestions. In the mean time I changed GPU and PSU and the issue still...
  4. Repeated bluescreens, even after Windows reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows not booting even after windows reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not booting even after windows reset: My computer went off after a power cut. I tried to turn my computer back on after power was restored but my windows wasn't booting. Decided to reset my PC as a last recovery resort. However, my PC is still not booting after the recovery process. The screen has been blank for...
  6. After attempting to reset windows pc doesn't boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After attempting to reset windows pc doesn't boot: Today I tried to wipe my hardrive through windows 10 and it did so, at first I did keep my files which got stuck at 88% for 3 hours, so I turned my pc off and went into recovery, then I decided to wipe my while disc I have a media creation usb which doesn't do anything as now...
  7. Repeated BSODs, even after fresh install.

Repeated BSODs, even after fresh install.: Hi. I"m not new to the PC game by any means and I've done all the troubleshooting I can think of and even learned some new tricks. I got a new PCIe capture card Elgato 4K60 Pro for Christmas. I went to put it in. Everything worked fine for a couple hours, then multiple...
  8. Windows wont boot after installing

Windows wont boot after installing: I am trying to install a clean install of Windows 10 on my Gateway all-in-one. It wont boot after doing the install. It will restart once, then again and after the second restart, it wont boot. I have been trying for the better part of a year to try to get it to run. Windows...
  9. Boot issues after windows install attempt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot issues after windows install attempt: I have a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB which is being used as my boot drive. I also have a Samsung SM951 m.2 NVME 128GB drive which is much faster. I used to have windows installed on my m.2 drive, but due to unfortunate circumstances, everything on my pc was wiped and the 850 Evo was...
  10. Programs Not Responding repeatedly even after resetting Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Programs Not Responding repeatedly even after resetting Windows 10: My 3-year old Windows 10 Home laptop is repeatedly unresponsive. The open programs will display "Not responding" for 1-2 minutes, then works for a few seconds before the cycle repeats. I've done everything I can think of to try to fix this (full list of what I've done is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delete microsoft attemps to reset

2. windows update 1903 does not install after repeated attemps