Windows 10: Windows Installation doesn't recognize new SSD

Discus and support Windows Installation doesn't recognize new SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I got a new Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI drive. I have a X99 motherboard but it didn't have the M.2 slot so I purchased an adapter to attach the drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gzt7d8, Oct 30, 2015.

1. gzt7d8 Win User

Windows Installation doesn't recognize new SSD

I got a new Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI drive. I have a X99 motherboard but it didn't have the M.2 slot so I purchased an adapter to attach the drive and installed it into an open PCI slot.

When I first installed it and boot up under the current Windows 10, I could see the drive through Disk Management.

I disconnected the current Windows 10 version, put in the disk, booted up and selected the drive to perform a clean install. The initial copy and prepare for installation worked fine, then it needed to reboot and that's when I got the message:

Internal hard drive not found
    No bootable devices

When I reconnected the old hard drive and booted up, I could see the install files on the new drive, but it just won't boot to it.

So, what do I need to do to get the PC to recognize this drive as bootable?

Thanks,

:)

gzt7d8, Oct 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 on a SSD which doesn't work

Hello,

recently my SSD crashed and even though it is recognized by the computer, it seems empty. The problem is that I upgraded a Windows 7 into a Windows 10 pro and that it was installed on the SSD. If I can't get any of the SSD's data back, do I have to buy a
    new Windows 10 ?

Narcisse Nouridfer, Oct 30, 2015
  3. SSD formating for transwer

Sorry, but I don't know what you are referring to. The old computer had a SSD with W10. The new notebook has a UEFI type BIOS and since the old computer had a different type of BIOS that is not compatible with the new computer, the SSD that was booting perfectly
    on the old machine doesn't boot on the new computer although it is recognized.

My question is how to make the SSD drive to boot? Is there a way of making it bootable?

peter.t1013, Oct 30, 2015
  4. pbcopter Win User

Does the drive show in the BIOS?

pbcopter, Oct 30, 2015
  5. gzt7d8 Win User
    No it doesn't appear in the bios.
    I can see the drive through file manager, and the installation files loaded to it, and I can see it in disk management too.

gzt7d8, Oct 30, 2015
  6. Hully Win User
    Hully, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Installation doesn't recognize new SSD - Similar Threads - Installation doesn't recognize

2. New PC, first Windows install - BIOS recognizes M.2 NVMe SSD, Windows installer doesn't

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC, first Windows install - BIOS recognizes M.2 NVMe SSD, Windows installer doesn't: Hello, I recently configured new PC with B550 GAMING X V2 motherboard. I already did bios flashback and everything is recognized in gigabyte bios.But when i try to install windows 10 home from usb, it doesn't recognize Samsung 980 500 GB nvme SSD, yet, in BIOS, it does.Idk...
  3. New PC, first Windows install - BIOS recognizes M.2 NVMe SSD, Windows installer doesn't

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC, first Windows install - BIOS recognizes M.2 NVMe SSD, Windows installer doesn't: Hello, I recently configured new PC with B550 GAMING X V2 motherboard. I already did bios flashback and everything is recognized in gigabyte bios.But when i try to install windows 10 home from usb, it doesn't recognize Samsung 980 500 GB nvme SSD, yet, in BIOS, it does.Idk...
  4. New PC, first Windows install - BIOS recognizes M.2 NVMe SSD, Windows installer doesn't

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. New NVMe SSD not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New NVMe SSD not recognized: I bought a new WD Blue SN550 1TB nvme ssd to add to my laptop as additional storage however it does not appear as an available storage space. I can see it in the BIOS. I checked my storage controllers and don't see Windows Standard NVMe drivers there, is that the issue maybe?...
  6. Windows 10 doesn't recognize SSD

Windows 10 doesn't recognize SSD: I have an Asus X510UQ and a new 250GB Samsung EVO970Plus NVMe. I checked the BIOS, every single driver that popped up on Google and everything is up do date. My computer runs on an HDD drive and has an extra slot in the motherboard for an SSD drive. I looked online and...
  7. Windows Installer not recognizing SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Installer not recognizing SSD: Just got this laptop with no OS, Asus VivoBook S 14" S433EQ with an intel ssdpeknw 512gb ssd Bios recognizes ssd, i can easily install linux and format said ssd on it, but the owner of this computer needs windows on it, only problem is that when i try to install windows on...
  8. Windows 10 Install not recognizing new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Install not recognizing new SSD: Hey all, I'm currently trying to install windows on a new ssd through a windows 10 media creation tool install on a USB drive. I get as far as setup, where I try to install windows to a drive, and by new drive doesn't show up. The drive has never been partitioned or used...
  9. Installed Win10 on laptop and it doesn't recognize the mSATA SSD

Installed Win10 on laptop and it doesn't recognize the mSATA SSD: I've got a laptop with two SSDs - the main SATA SSD and a small mSATA SSD. I installed Win 10 to the main SSD (Win 10 installer could see both disks). Once Win 10 is installed, it no longer sees the mSATA SSD. In Disk Mgmt, I only see Disk 0 (the main SSD), which is...
  10. Windows not recognizing new SSD

Windows not recognizing new SSD: Hello everyone. Due to my computer's unbearably slow performance, I recently purchased a 8 TB Seagate Barracuda SSD and a USB to SATA cable. I connected it into my USB port; however, nothing appears in My Computer. Every help article on the web says to assign it a drive...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows wont recognize new ssd boot drive