Windows 10: Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition

Discus and support Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey there, I am trying to install Windows 10 10130 onto my laptop's blank partition that is 400 GB. Upon installing I noticed it gives me an error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Michaelvas17, May 29, 2015.

1. Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition

Hey there,

I am trying to install Windows 10 10130 onto my laptop's blank partition that is 400 GB. Upon installing I noticed it gives me an error that says "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." I'm not sure what this means, as I have repeatedly formatted and erased the partition to no avail. I do have another partition with Windows 8.1 installed, so I am trying to salvage that and get the Windows 10 installed onto the other one.

P.S. for some strange reason. On boot, It asks me to pick either Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, and Windows 8 isn't installed...

This laptop is a mess. I bought it used, and it has only given me issues. Luckily I have my Desktop so it's not like I rely on this laptop. I appreciate your assistance! *Smile

:)

Michaelvas17, May 29, 2015

2. Error when trying to reinstall Windows 10

Hi

I'm trying to re-install Windows 10 on a system that was upgraded from Windows 7 Home.

I was unable to repair the install and got a "drive locked" error, so I decided to wipe the partition and re-install from scratch but I now can't create the partition.

I get the following errors:

Windows setup "We couldn't create a new partition" Error 0x8cb209a0

If I try to install to the existing partition I get the error:

"Windows cannot be installed This is an MBR partition EFI systems need to install to GTP disk" (or words to that effect)

Installing from a USB memory stick created by the media creator tool.

Any advice gratefully received.

Andrew Sayers, May 29, 2015
  3. Recovery Problem-Can't Setup Windows

But now when I tried to install Windows 7 and I formated C (a error message pop up tell that Partition not formated but it formated!) anyway when I press install, a new screen pop up and on it "The
    installation was cancelled"

"windows could not format a partition on disk 0. the error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057"

MahmoudHashem1, May 29, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition

It would help if you post a screen shot of Disk Management then we can go from there.

topgundcp, May 29, 2015
  5. Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition [​IMG]
    @topgundcp This is the Disk Management Window.

6. topgundcp Win User
    Ths is very strange partition arrangement. You have an unallocated partition sitting in between the recovery and C partition. and Windows might get confused of how to install it. You might want to move the C partition to the left and have the unallocated partition at the end.

You can download: Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition
    and use: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    Boot up your Laptop and move drive C: to the left next to the Recovery partition.
    Try to install Windows again. (It looks like that you are using the legacy MBR, so you need to install with MBR stype partition)

WARNING: When working on partition. It is advisable to make a backup image of your current Windows first.

topgundcp, May 29, 2015
  7. What Igor said to Dr Frankenstein, "Sir, you have created a Monster!"

Resize that C: partition to include all of the Unallocated space and you should be good to go.

good luck

*Cool

TechnoMage, May 29, 2015
  8. Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition

Is this program something I have to run in Windows or do I have to boot into it?

EDIT: I tried booting into it and it gave me an error.

9. topgundcp Win User
    After you download the ISO. From Windows, use Rufus to create a bootable USB stick to boot up from then you can move the partition. You should get a screen similar to this, right click on C: drive and select Move/Resize, then click Apply to commit the change:

Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition [​IMG]

topgundcp, May 29, 2015
  10. EDIT: Used the program. Will attempt installing Windows once more.
    EDIT 2: The program ran into an error saying it was an I/O failure. I restarted the laptop and I noticed that I was able to extend the C:\ partition into the space. I will now try to shrink the volume and install Windows 10.

11. It works! Thank you @topgundcp *Smile
    Yet, it still says Windows 8 is installed *Redface

12. EDIT: Removed that strange image tag... See latest post for image.

Michaelvas17, May 30, 2015
  13. Edwin New Member

That's a BIG picture! I won't reply with quote! *Wink

Edwin, May 30, 2015
  14. Sorry I was able to fix it... I guess the forum doesn't like Spartan *Wink Here's the Disk Management window, for real this time...

Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition [​IMG]

Michaelvas17, May 30, 2015
  15. Here's what I suggest, this is a bit of work, but in the long run the system will run better.

Now you have a way back to where you started.

Download Win8.1 install media and create a bootable DVD or Flash drive
    Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

Here's why you backed up your system:
    Boot to the install media and press Shift F10 at the first screen - this launches a Command prompt window

Launch diskpart and enter the following commands (*** are comments, not part of the commands)

lis dis *** This gives you a list of drives, select the 400 GB drive sel dis 0 *** Verify the disk #, the 400 GB drive might be a different number lis dis *** the selected drive will have an asterisk '*' on the left
    *** be certain you select the correct drive, the next command wipes it clean clean *** this erases the first and last 100 MB on the drive-essentially removing all disk partitioning information exit *** exit diskpart Then, press the [X] in the upper right corner of the Command prompt window to close it
    -- typing exit in the Command prompt might exit the install - not sure. You're back at the install
    See: Clean Install - Windows 8

When Win8.1 is finished installing and you have an account set up
    Shrink the C: drive to 100 GB

Minitool Partition Wizard might be easiest for the next steps since Windows Disk Mgmt doesn't have the option to create an extended partition - diskpart does, but Disk Mgmt just keeps creating primary until there are three of them, then it 'helps' you and creates the next (4th) partition as an extended partition.

Create an extended partition using the rest of the space
    Create a 100 GB logical drive in the extended partition for your data
    Create a 40 GB logical drive in the extended partition for a 2nd OS (Win10)There's plenty of space left - you can leave it unallocated or slice it any way you see fit. I carve off a good chunk at the end of the drive for cold storage (program install packages, infrequently accessed data, some backups-but the back is on the same drive, so if the drive fails......these are not important files)

Read through the tutorials and ask any questions before taking that step.

I think the main issue is the 39 MB System Reserved partition - it should be a minimum of 100 MB.

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Installation Error; Will not install on Partition - Similar Threads - Installation Error install

2. Installing windows on a logical partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing windows on a logical partition: Hello Microsoft community,I recently wanted to dualboot Windows Vista and Linux on my old Linux computer. When I got the ISO file and flashed it to a USB drive, went through a regular Windows Vista installation process all the drives were detected by setup and opting to...
  3. Partition error when installing windows in SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partition error when installing windows in SSD: No windows installedMy laptop has 120gb Ssd trying to clean install in it. I got error every time we "couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one".installing windows in SSD inserted inside in Hdd slot.I'm installing windows from usb.... & Caddy carrying a hdd...
  4. Partition error when installing windows in SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition error when installing windows in SSD: No windows installedMy laptop has 120gb Ssd trying to clean install in it. I got error every time we "couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one".installing windows in SSD inserted inside in Hdd slot.I'm installing windows from usb.... & Caddy carrying a hdd...
  5. Partition error when installing windows in SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Installer requires MBR partition for installation

Windows Installer requires MBR partition for installation: I've got a 1TB NVMe drive with Windows 10 installed and I had a few problems with it so far where I would boot up the computer and it the BIOS would not see my drive. Today this whole issue apparently corrupted my system and I had no choice but to use Media Creation Tool to...
  7. Installed Linux in windows partition!

Installed Linux in windows partition!: Helllo guys, I have installed linux for college purposes. While doing so I've chosen the wrong partition and installed in main windows drive. Now when I try to boot it up, "Advanced repair options" comes up and i'm unable to get the windows back. Please help me to get...
  8. Windows 10 partitions - instalator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 partitions - instalator: Hello, I have one problem with the attempt to format Windows 10. Namely, the idea is that a few days ago my disk probably starter to corrupt, the system no longer wanted to run, I was getting UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE bsod and disk was not detectable in the bios. Yesterday I...
  9. Windows 10 partition installs?

Windows 10 partition installs?: I have windows 10 build 1511 on a USB stick made by windows media creation tool now when install windows the drive has zero partitions. When i install the copy from the USB stick i end up with 3 partitions one is 450MB (recovery partition) and another partition at 100MB...
  10. Can't install. possible partition error

Can't install. possible partition error: I've come here to beg for some help from you lovely windows techies. My issue is that the CD that I bought wont install on the laptop i have (prev win 7 and ubuntu 14.4) The main details can be found here, if you would be so kind, along with what attempts ive made to...