Windows 10: Windows installation failed

Discus and support Windows installation failed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Windows 8.1 desktop will not install Win10 using Windows Update as this fails every time. I have tried deleting all files in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vivski, Aug 3, 2015.

1. vivski Win User

Windows installation failed

My Windows 8.1 desktop will not install Win10 using Windows Update as this fails every time. I have tried deleting all files in C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download, running 'wuauclt.exe /updatenow' from an elevated command prompt after checking that it shows 'c:\windows\system32' but this makes no difference.

My latest attempt was to try using the Media Creation Tool and installing from the iso file. I got as far as step 16 with the screen showing 'Installing Windows 10' and then after it had reached about 25% saw the message to say that Windows installation had failed, but with no reason given. Trying it again but not downloading the updates first gave the same result.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

As I have been having problems with Win8.1 and some software not being able to update or run correctly I did a system file check which shows that there are some corrupt files which were not fixed.

At the moment the only thing I can think of is to reinstall Win8.1 as I have the disc and then trying again, but that means a lengthy period having to reinstall all of my software.

:)

vivski, Aug 3, 2015

2. win 10 failed installation failed - error code 800700C1.

After download installation failed - error code 800700C1. How can I fix? Must I download win 10 again?

Original Title: win 10 failed

Robert_Rho, Aug 3, 2015
  3. win 10 failed installation failed - error code 800700C1.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below suggestion provided by Vidyaranjan A V replied on July 30, 2015 from the below link and check if it helps.

Windows Update Installation Failure 80240020

I suggest you to follow the below suggestion provided by Andre Da Costa replied on August 3, 2015 dyaand check if it helps.

Windows 10 Upgrade failed error 80240020 then error 800700c1

Hope it helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Aug 3, 2015
  4. UKMedia Win User

Hi

Try working through this thread:

Failed four different strategies to upgrade to Win10 - Windows 10 Forums

Regards

UKMedia, Aug 3, 2015
  5. vivski Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion. I decided that I might as well go for a clean install as I might have the same problems if I was successful in installing Win10 over the existing Win 8.1.

It was pretty quick as I found that as soon as Win 8 had installed it recognised that Win 10 was available so asked me if I wanted to install it, which I did. I now have most of my software reinstalled and am looking forward to trouble free computing for a time.

Viv

vivski, Aug 3, 2015
  6. vivski Win User
    I believe that it has activated correctly.

Viv

vivski, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows installation failed - Similar Threads - installation failed

2. I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and...: I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and the package requires a os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-installed-win-subsystem-for-android-but-it-tells/b19485c9-aa1b-4c86-9d05-406750f79ee0
  3. I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and...: I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and the package requires a os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-installed-win-subsystem-for-android-but-it-tells/b19485c9-aa1b-4c86-9d05-406750f79ee0
  4. I installed win subsystem for android but it tells me that the installation was failed and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Update KB123456 Fails to Install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update KB123456 Fails to Install: Hello Community, I've been trying to install the latest Windows 10 update, KB123456, but it keeps failing during the installation process. Every time I attempt to install it, I receive an error message, and the update rolls back. I've tried running the Windows Update...
  6. Windows 10 Update KB123456 Fails to Install

Windows 10 Update KB123456 Fails to Install: Hello Community, I've been trying to install the latest Windows 10 update, KB123456, but it keeps failing during the installation process. Every time I attempt to install it, I receive an error message, and the update rolls back. I've tried running the Windows Update...
  7. Windows 10 Update KB123456 Fails to Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Updates are Failing to Install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates are Failing to Install: These updates fail to install. KB5036620 and KB5036893 Done the following:RestartCleared cache.Deactivated 3rd party anti-virusRan Windows troubleshooter. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-are-failing-to-install/a6e5e3b1-f670-4d97-8a1c-1120f505a035
  9. Updates are Failing to Install

Updates are Failing to Install: These updates fail to install. KB5036620 and KB5036893 Done the following:RestartCleared cache.Deactivated 3rd party anti-virusRan Windows troubleshooter. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-are-failing-to-install/a6e5e3b1-f670-4d97-8a1c-1120f505a035
  10. Computer failing to install update 2024-01 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer failing to install update 2024-01 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for...: I am assisting a friend with her computer. I am currently using that computer to type this. When I check for updates it lists "2024-01 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5034441" as a pending update that needs to be installed. When I attempt...