Windows 10: Windows Installation Failure from USB

Discus and support Windows Installation Failure from USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I'm at my wits end with this. I've been trying to install Windows 10 on an old tower of mine that sat kinda dormant for a year. It's not too old,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TrystinBoie, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Windows Installation Failure from USB

So I'm at my wits end with this.

I've been trying to install Windows 10 on an old tower of mine that sat kinda dormant for a year. It's not too old, but I'm completely baffled as to why it just refuses Windows 10.

Okay so, I've tried 4 different USB sticks: 2x 32GB sticks and 2x 16GB sticks, all have been repeatedly formatted to both FAT32 and NTFS I lost count how many times I've tried installing Windows 10 on this PC. Media Creation Tool reports 0 errors and says it creates the media just fine every single time. But none of the drives will ever boot into UEFI mode, only Legacy.

When running setup on Legacy boot, the USB will run normally, allowing me to select the drive I want and then moving to the traditional installation steps. However, it instantlyfinishes the first step; "Copying files..." and works normally through the 2nd step. However, itinstantly finishes both the "Installing Features" and "Installing Updates" steps, which I know is wrong and those steps usually take the longest. It will then clear the final step and begin the restart countdown.

Upon restarting, it will attempt to boot into the newly imaged drive more on that later by flashing the Windows 10 logo for about a second, black screen, then rebooting/POSTing. After doing this about 3 times, I'll get the BSOD with error code 0xc0000001.

I have done this countless times with various BIOS settings, various USB sticks, various HDDs/SSDs/an M.2, and I get the same exact result.

So either the latest Win10 ISO is broken, or I need to replace a component on the PC in question.

Here's the rundown on the specs:

MB: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI

CPU: Ryzen 5 not familiar with exact model/speed, just know its a Ryzen 5 from a couple years ago, AM4 socket type

RAM: Corsair Vengance 2x 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD XFX RX 570

PSU: EVGA 1000w Gold

Current Storage: WD Black 500GB M.2 NVMe

Other attempted HDDs/SSDs: 2x WD 1TB HDDs both 7200RPM, 3.5in & 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD 2.5in

BIOS Settings I have changed:

-Cleared Secure Boot Keys, disabled Secure Boot

-Have tried both Legacy and UEFI boot options all of them I could configure and only Legacy works on the USBs but as stated before, actuall installation always "fails"

-SATA Configuration is set to AHCI but that doesn't matter now because only the M.2 SSD is slotted into the PC

Other information:

RAM passes memory checks and each DIMM slot status is displayed by the BIOS, with correct memory size total of 16GB DDR4.

When looking at PCIe slots in BIOS, it will only show up as "AMD GPU" in the x16 slot probably due to no drivers being installed on the system but I could be wrong. When looking further at that specific slot, it has "Select Valid GPU" greyed out.

I have tried every USB stick at least 3 times, formatting them in FAT32 and then NTFS; same result occurs. Not a single USB stick has been able to UEFI boot. Only Legacy.

I just want to know if I need to replace something and what. Is the mobo just going bad? If anyone has any information or a solid answer, that'd be much appreciated. I planned on using this PC for cloud computing and running Streamlabs OBS.

:)

TrystinBoie, Nov 21, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Nov 21, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 21, 2020
  4. 0pTicaL Win User

Windows Installation Failure from USB

"Application Install install package failure!" while installing 13.9

Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and MSI 6970 Lightning.

I was upgrading from 13.4 after I did a clean uninstall with AMD Catalyst Install Manager.

Doesn't say what installation failed in the install log. Everything in the log says Success but at the very bottom it says "Application Install: install package failure!" but doesn't say what failed to install.

I only install video drivers and no CCC.

The only thing I noticed is AMD Catalyst Install Manager is not listed in my programs list.

0pTicaL, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Windows Installation Failure from USB

1. Windows Installation Failure from USB - Similar Threads - Installation Failure USB

2. Can't install Windows from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install Windows from USB: Hi! My Windows 11 on laptop Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro crashed and laptop gone to perpetual error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I can't launch Windows in both normal and safe mode it was disabled by default.I had created installation media for Windows and launched from USB.I had 2...
  3. Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft: Looking for some help. Dell Inspiron 20 - 3048 All In One Windows 10 Initial issue: Computer stuck in "Automatic Repair" loop while attempting to boot. Went into the Boot Menu via F12 Ran Diagnostics: Result: Error 2000-0142 "Hard Drive 0 - DST Short Test** Fail...
  4. Failure to install windows 10 from a USB recovery drive

Failure to install windows 10 from a USB recovery drive: Last week i began experiencing persistent blue screens on my PC. After a day or so of this it finally died and brought me to the recovery screen for Windows. When I try to do automatic repairs it says there was a problem and my PC has to be restarted. I installed a fresh...
  5. Windows 10 from USB to SSD Installation Failure

Windows 10 from USB to SSD Installation Failure: I just finished building my new pc and am trying to install windows 10 onto the SSD. this is not me upgrading the pc's OS, but just installing one for the first time. I have Windows 10 on a USB drive and whenever I go through the installation process I get an error message...
  6. Installing windows from USB

Installing windows from USB: Hey, I am trying to install windows 10 from usb stick to ASUS E402A laptop (that is using emmc memory). I have 3 different usb sticks, one is official windows, one is kingston datatraveller ,and one is some random usb 2.x stick. Windows iso file i generated from windows...
  7. USB FAILURE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB FAILURE: 3 out of my 4 USB ports suddenly (a week maybe) quit working. I went to Device Manager and unchecked the power management option for power saving, but no help. Clicking on each individual port says this divice is working. Rebooting several times was no help. The one that...
  8. USB failure

USB failure: Problem with win 10 usb not recognizing devices ? Is there a better driver to fix usb recognition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-failure/d8ea8486-3e39-4588-bf65-26ba43f3c2ae
  9. Can't install windows from a USB

Can't install windows from a USB: Went into advance system start up, formatted windows from cmd. I try to boot from the USB to install windows, however it then says automatic system repairing, diagnosing pc and takes me to the system start up. Usb was formatted on FAT32 and I used Rufus to set make it...
  10. Asmedia USB 3.0 drivers installation failure.

Asmedia USB 3.0 drivers installation failure.: On a clean installation of Win 10 1703 I'm having an issue with the installation of the ASmedia USB drivers provided by Asus for my Z97-A mobo. The exact error message during installation is the Asmedia USB Host Controller was not found. I can't see any evidence manual or...