Windows 10: Windows Installation / Sysprep - Recovery Partition at Beginning of Drive

Discus and support Windows Installation / Sysprep - Recovery Partition at Beginning of Drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've done reference images for a while now for my company - and whenever I've setup a VM on ESXi of Windows 10, and installed it on a 30GB partition,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/p4ch0m3, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Windows Installation / Sysprep - Recovery Partition at Beginning of Drive

I've done reference images for a while now for my company - and whenever I've setup a VM on ESXi of Windows 10, and installed it on a 30GB partition, then ran my stuff and closed it out and sysprepped - the recovery partition always started the drive - layout was

1. recovery
    2. system
    3. msr
    4. OS

This works while sysprep is going because the OS partition gets resized automatically depending on the size of the drive its being deployed to during the 'getting things ready' stage of Win10 bootup.

Upon creating my 2004 reference image, I have countless errors and issues using the exact same process as years past, because the machines I was deploying to never grew more than 29.3GB.

Turns out, recovery was partition 4. Because its in the way, sysprep's <extendospartition>true couldn't perform anything.

After looking back at my own setups, and stock installs, it seems that this happened relatively randomly. My personal laptop? recovery is 4. My 1903 and 1909 image? recovery is 1. The 20 installs of 2004 I've done to test? Recovery on 4. :shrugs

Any ideas on how to force recovery to the beginning again? I realize MS 'prefers' if you put it at the end, but for sysprep purposes I don't want it there. I could just delete it altogether but as these end up being computers supported by me, I'd prefer to have recovery just for ease of support.

Also, I do not use MDT/WDS. I use FOG Project to capture and deploy images and have no reason to want to switch as FOG works for my usecase.

submitted by /u/p4ch0m3
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/p4ch0m3, Jun 16, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jun 16, 2020
  3. Anusha Win User
    How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Rexter Win User

Windows Installation / Sysprep - Recovery Partition at Beginning of Drive

Help with HP System Recovery partition

I will try and cut this short:

So i have this HP pavilion DV5-1987 laptop, that came with windows vista home premium 32bit. A couple of months later i installed a 64bit version, and about a week ago i installed Windows 7 x64 RTM. Both installations was a fresh install on the C partition, leaving the recovery partition intact and alone.
    Now i have regrettet and want the original os to be reinstalled. But it doesnt work.
    The bios options does nothing, i press ESC to get to boot options, choose F11 for boot to recovery partition, and it goes straight to windows 7.
    i search the internet for options and try these suggestions:
    Mark drive D as active partition (the rec partition). it still boots to win 7.
    boot to super grub from a boot cd, and press "AUTO MAGIC BOOTER" (something like that). it then shows me two identical "vista boot loader" to choose from, and both goes into win 7, and a third (other OS) that gives me and error and returns to grub loader.

there a several other suggestions but either they wont work in my scenario or are another iteration of what i have already tried.

So uh... help? please? if you need anymore information please ask.

Rexter, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows Installation / Sysprep - Recovery Partition at Beginning of Drive

1. Windows Installation / Sysprep - Recovery Partition at Beginning of Drive - Similar Threads - Installation Sysprep Recovery

2. Help with partitions and recovery partitions on new drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with partitions and recovery partitions on new drive: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/AustinNotTexasDotCom [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m39ja1/help_with_partitions_and_recovery_partitions_on/
  3. Safe procedure to Remove Old Recovery Partition at beginning of Disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Safe procedure to Remove Old Recovery Partition at beginning of Disk: What is the best procedure (ideally without 3d party Soft) to remove an old, unused Recovery Partition which sits at the beginning of the Disk and then move the rest of the existing partitions left to the beginning of the disk. Winver 20H2 19042.630 [img] 169361
  4. Recovery partition after "C:" Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovery partition after "C:" Drive: [ATTACH] Does anyone know why this occurred & any way to fix that. It's not actually necessary but it hinders my ability to add more storage to the system. Thanks in advance...
  5. Windows installed recovery partition on second drive, now need 2 drives to boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows installed recovery partition on second drive, now need 2 drives to boot: I was tossing out an old laptop so decided to put it's 1TB HDD in my desktop. I formatted the drive, but apparently that doesn't remove windows recovry partitions. Now I want to remove it to put in an SSD, but windows won't boot without it. I have tried reformatting it, using...
  6. Recovery partitions not recovery DRIVE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery partitions not recovery DRIVE: I am working on a Toshiba laptop which my sister bought used with Win 8.0. The software was unfixable so I reinstalled 8.0 from a recovery drive I created with the Win 8.0 system. I then installed Win 8.1 from a microsoft store download and then installed Win 10 after...
  7. Windows 10 fresh install is putting recovery partition in front of EFI and C:/drive partitions.

Windows 10 fresh install is putting recovery partition in front of EFI and C:/drive partitions.: Several months ago my laptop was destroyed by malware and since then I have learned a lot about upgrading and general repair with Windows based PC's. I could have just replaced the HDD but without knowing what I know now I "bricked" it by locking up the BIOS/UEFI so I could...
  8. Clean install places recovery drive at beginning of disk.

Clean install places recovery drive at beginning of disk.: Hi all, I’ve just done a clean install of Windows 1903 & noticed it placed the recovery partition at the beginning of the drive. Drive is GPT which I believed placed the recovery at the end. Everything works so am not worried but thought I’d ask to see if anyone else had...
  9. Move recovery drive to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move recovery drive to a separate partition: Hi, I created the USB recovery drive successfully with the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive". Since I needed the USB for another purpose, I transferred the files from the USB to a separate partition on an external HDD and made this drive bootable using...
  10. Add recovery partition into C drive

Add recovery partition into C drive: I just deleted the content (through the recovery software) of the recovery partition (D drive) in my laptop which had an older OS in it. I would like to add the space in this partition into the C drive, basically eliminating this recovery partition and expanding C the amount...