Windows 10: Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?

Discus and support Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just downloaded Windows 10 and noticed both my "windows" folder and "old windows" folder are located in my HDD. How can I transfer windows 10 to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by C4Edgez, Aug 26, 2015.

1. C4Edgez Win User

Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?

Just downloaded Windows 10 and noticed both my "windows" folder and "old windows" folder are located in my HDD.
    How can I transfer windows 10 to my SSD? Windows 8 was originally on my SSD, I don't understand why it installed on my HDD.

I'm not really a tech wiz but hopefully someone can help me out.
    Thank you in advance

Edit - My computer is a lenovo Y500 for future reference, it has both a 1 TB HDD and a 25 GB SSD built in.

:)

C4Edgez, Aug 26, 2015

2. Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

Hi i made my own pc i have a hdd and a ssd when i installed windows for the first time it got installed on the hdd instead of the ssd and i have no idea of how to reinstall windows on my ssd instead of the hdd my pc is empty only windows on it so i dont
    mind how its done i just need a way that works !!

Prakticaljoke, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Win10 install onto external HDD with previous personal files?

I'm looking to perform a clean install of Windows 10 on my computer, but I've been thinking of actually performing an install onto my external HDD instead and make it the new primary HDD. The thing is, I currently use my external HDD as my backup drive for
    all my personal files.

There is no previous OS installed on the external HDD, only the backup files are present. If I install the external HDD into my computer and boot it as the primary HDD, and subsequently attempt to install Windows 10 (and necessary drivers) onto it, will
    all my previously backed up files be erased during the install? Or will they be preserved?

Rodriquez6890, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

How did you do the install? I hope you were booted to Windows 8.1 and did an upgrade to Windows 10. If not you will not be able to activate Windows 10.

Also, doing it that way should insure Windows 10 got installed to the same drive 8.1 was booted from.

Ztruker, Aug 26, 2015
  5. C4Edgez Win User
    Well I was up to Windows 8.1, it just decided to re-direct itself to my HDD for the weirdest reason.

C4Edgez, Aug 26, 2015
  6. How much free space was on the SSD? Maybe it determined there wasn't enough space and decided to install on the hard drive.

sciencegeek, Aug 26, 2015
  7. Word Man Win User
    Looks like the SSD on the Y500 is for system cache. Is it not in your case? I understand if WIn 8.1 was on SSD but I take it there was room for nothing else and Win 10 went to your HDD like science geek said. 25 GB seems like an odd number - Lenovo website describes Y500 with a 16 GB SSD.

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD? - Similar Threads - installed HDD instead

2. My PC keeps prioritizing HDD instead of SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC keeps prioritizing HDD instead of SSD.: Hello,Few months ago my reading and writing speed was running fine on big games I was using on Steam. When suddenly loading times and games crashed because of my HDD. I later found out that causing the problems was because of my SSD wasnt doing its job. I checked my folders...
  3. My ssd is not shown during install and win10 is installed on hdd instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My ssd is not shown during install and win10 is installed on hdd instead: Hello, I used windows 10 tool in pc, to reset my pc because it was lagging and low FPS in games, tool somehow didnt work as it should because in the past it always worked and was easy to do so I went to another pc for flash disk to get installation for win 10, after some...
  4. My ssd is not shown during install and win10 is installed on hdd instead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My ssd is not shown during install and win10 is installed on hdd instead: Hello, I used windows 10 tool in pc, to reset my pc because it was lagging and low FPS in games, tool somehow didnt work as it should because in the past it always worked and was easy to do so I went to another pc for flash disk to get installation for win 10, after some...
  5. My ssd is not shown during install and win10 is installed on hdd instead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...: So apparently when I installed Windows a long ago I had both drives plugged in and Windows decided to install System Reserved on my HDD instead of keeping it on the same drive SSD with the rest of Windows and Recovery. I only discovered this because I was attempting to enable...
  7. My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...: So apparently when I installed Windows a long ago I had both drives plugged in and Windows decided to install System Reserved on my HDD instead of keeping it on the same drive SSD with the rest of Windows and Recovery. I only discovered this because I was attempting to enable...
  8. Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd: Whenever I save something on my pc, it saves to my ssd but I checked off that I want it to save to my hardrive in settings but whenever it saves to somewhere without asking, it saves to my ssd. please help me....
  9. Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd: I just clean wiped my pc yet it still has the issue where for example: steam setup is set on my SSD C: where it is supposed to automatically install in my HDD D:. it does this for practically every setup. HELP!...
  10. Windows upgrade 1809 installed on HDD instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows upgrade 1809 installed on HDD instead of SSD: Hi, some months ago I added a 250GB SSD and cloned the OS and data to it from my HDD. (The BIOS was reset at that time to boot from the SSD.) All went well until the receipt of the 1809 version last week. I find that the Windows 10 Upgrade Folder on the SSD contains only some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. installing windows on a hdd instead of a sdd

2. is my windows installed on ssd

3. accidentally loaded windows to hdd instead of m.2

4. i accidentally installed windows 10 to my hdd instead of my ssd,
  5. how to install windows on hdd instead of ssd,
  6. how to install windows on ssd instead of hdd,
  7. windows 10 installed on hdd instead of ssd,
  8. is it bad to have windows on hdd instead of ssd,
  9. windows 10 installed os in my hdd instead of ssd,
  10. windows installed to hdd instead of ssd,
  11. windows installed on hdd instead of ssd,