Windows 10: Windows installed recovery partition on second drive, now need 2 drives to boot

Discus and support Windows installed recovery partition on second drive, now need 2 drives to boot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was tossing out an old laptop so decided to put it's 1TB HDD in my desktop. I formatted the drive, but apparently that doesn't remove windows recovry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Serious69er, May 28, 2020.

1. Windows installed recovery partition on second drive, now need 2 drives to boot

I was tossing out an old laptop so decided to put it's 1TB HDD in my desktop. I formatted the drive, but apparently that doesn't remove windows recovry partitions. Now I want to remove it to put in an SSD, but windows won't boot without it. I have tried reformatting it, using diskpart, etc. and I cannot find a solution. How can I fix this without reinstalling windows?

:)

Serious69er, May 28, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 28, 2020
  3. Dia01 Win User
    Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, May 28, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Windows installed recovery partition on second drive, now need 2 drives to boot

Installing windows from usb hard drive

You can install Windows on seperate partitions from an existing Windows install. The difference with doing it from the desktop is that you'll be able to select which OS you'd like to boot to, without entering bios at all...it will give you a list of each OS, and 30 seconds to choose(the time waiting before it automatically boots the first one on the list can be adjusted as well).

There was a time when I was running XP, Vista, and Win7, all off of the same drive, with each OS on it's own partition.

cadaveca, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows installed recovery partition on second drive, now need 2 drives to boot

1. Windows installed recovery partition on second drive, now need 2 drives to boot - Similar Threads - installed recovery partition

2. My D drive now thinks it's a recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My D drive now thinks it's a recovery partition: My laptop went wonky and the D drive disappeared. Disk management shows it as a recovery partition and won't let me do anything with it right clicking only shows "help" and the actions menu only shows "refresh", "rescan", "create VHD", and "attach VHD". Virus scans are clear....
  3. My D drive now thinks it's a recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My D drive now thinks it's a recovery partition: My laptop went wonky and the D drive disappeared. Disk management shows it as a recovery partition and won't let me do anything with it right clicking only shows "help" and the actions menu only shows "refresh", "rescan", "create VHD", and "attach VHD". Virus scans are clear....
  4. Windows can’t be installed on drive 0 partition 2.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows can’t be installed on drive 0 partition 2.: I updated my BIOS version and used my windows 10 USB to boot and during the install it says that I can’t choose the drive for my SSD because it is MBR and has to be GPT. When the “where do you want to install windows?” Window comes up I have 3 partitions on drive 0. I’m not...
  5. recovery boot partition in not on my C drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovery boot partition in not on my C drive: recovery boot partition in not on my C drive, and I have two of them the newer one is larger, and I can't seem to delete either https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-boot-partition-in-not-on-my-c-drive/9024d0dc-ef26-44f3-861c-5e73c4987839
  6. Windows Installation / Sysprep - Recovery Partition at Beginning of Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Installation / Sysprep - Recovery Partition at Beginning of Drive: I've done reference images for a while now for my company - and whenever I've setup a VM on ESXi of Windows 10, and installed it on a 30GB partition, then ran my stuff and closed it out and sysprepped - the recovery partition always started the drive - layout was recovery...
  7. Windows boot/efi/recovery partitions are not on the C drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows boot/efi/recovery partitions are not on the C drive: I bought a 500gb nvme ssd for my pc and I installed while my old sata 250gb drive was still in there (which had windows installed on it). I installed windows on it and instead of creating those partitions on the drive, it treated it like a dual boot system and it just used...
  8. Cloned drive, need to create recovery partition to fix windows.

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned drive, need to create recovery partition to fix windows.: Hello all. I've been attempting to deal with this issue for a while now. About two months ago I cloned my entire drive from a 500GB disk to a 1TB disk. The cloning process broke the boot record I believe, and that had to be fixed using a bootable windows 10 usb and the...
  9. Recovery partitions not recovery DRIVE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery partitions not recovery DRIVE: I am working on a Toshiba laptop which my sister bought used with Win 8.0. The software was unfixable so I reinstalled 8.0 from a recovery drive I created with the Win 8.0 system. I then installed Win 8.1 from a microsoft store download and then installed Win 10 after...
  10. No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive: Hey all, It's an age old story, probably.. I was running Win7. Had a crash that munged me being able to boot and I have never had success creating a repair disk for 7 with USB3 drivers (I'm on Z170 chipset). So I decided I should finally jump into Win10 as I reserved...