Windows 10: Windows Installer folder and CSC folder taking an insane amount of space on drive

Discus and support Windows Installer folder and CSC folder taking an insane amount of space on drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ahoy! And good day to you. My overall Windows folder takes 80.8 Go of space on my hard drive, a ludicrous amount (I have a 256 Go SSD as primary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LucasDerboule, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Windows Installer folder and CSC folder taking an insane amount of space on drive

Ahoy!

And good day to you.

My overall Windows folder takes 80.8 Go of space on my hard drive, a ludicrous amount (I have a 256 Go SSD as primary drive CWindows Installer folder and CSC folder taking an insane amount of space on drive :)

According to TreeSize(Free):

- Windows Installer folder takes 37.5 Go of space

- CSC folder takes 23 Go of space, almost entirely due to what seems like an old copy of large files I had stored on my NES - as a "shortcut" maybe??

exact location is CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\[NameofNES]\[bunch of subfolders]

About the files in the CSC folders, I have tried to manually delete them but keep getting a "You must possess Admin rights to delete this file" error. I have followed all the tutorials regarding ownership of system folders and my user account does have all the rights for this folder and subfolders. Yet error message remains.

According to another topic on this forum, it is not possible (strongly advise against) to manually files in Windows Installer folder.

Last week I constacted the Microsoft support and they set me up for a "Windows repair" session, which, once completed, had cleared something like 15-20 Go. But less than a week later I'm back to the same space usage I had before.

I have also properly deleted the Windows.old file created following this "repair".

Has anyone experience anything like this and would have some tips/hints on how to get rid of these problems?

I would very much appreciate any help, before I resolve to a complete re-installation.

Thank you,

Lucas

PS: not sure if related to the Windows Installer folder size, but my current version of Win 10 is a free upgrade from a WIndows 7 pro version I had installed.

:)

LucasDerboule, Dec 13, 2018

2. Windows installation folder

A couple of years ago, I read that Windows has a special folder that contains files used during the installation process. Also, I heard there's another folder that Windows uses as a back-up of every system file, just in case the user wants to do a system restore. Where can I find both folders and are they safe to delete?

GoFigureItOut, Dec 13, 2018
  3. Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Dec 13, 2018
  4. Anusha Win User

Windows Installer folder and CSC folder taking an insane amount of space on drive

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Windows Installer folder and CSC folder taking an insane amount of space on drive ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows Installer folder and CSC folder taking an insane amount of space on drive

1. Windows Installer folder and CSC folder taking an insane amount of space on drive - Similar Threads - Installer folder CSC

2. How to access the CSC folder in Windows 11Pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access the CSC folder in Windows 11Pro?: I need to delete a 382 GB file in C:\Windows\CSC\Namespace folder. I am using Windows 11 Pro. I have tried several options which did not work. I haven’t been able to get access to the folder. This large file is filling my 1TB drive causing the computer to be almost unusable....
  3. Windows folder, column with amount of files and folders in a folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows folder, column with amount of files and folders in a folder.: I cant get the amount of folders in folder column to work?I have many folders with and without folders/files in it. I would like to have an overview of this before opening folders.Have do i fix this?...
  4. WindowsApps Folder taking huges amount of space

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    WindowsApps Folder taking huges amount of space: hello i notice a computer our compagnies that have a 256 GB HDD the windowsApps Folder is taking 190 GB of space some apps are not even installed like HiddenCityMysteryofShadows or DisneyMagicKingdoms etc...the folder is present with different version.so how can i remove...
  5. WindowsApps Folder taking huges amount of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WindowsApps Folder taking huges amount of space: hello i notice a computer our compagnies that have a 256 GB HDD the windowsApps Folder is taking 190 GB of space some apps are not even installed like HiddenCityMysteryofShadows or DisneyMagicKingdoms etc...the folder is present with different version.so how can i remove...
  6. WindowsApps Folder taking huges amount of space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Desktop Windows Manager taking insane amount of gpu power

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Windows Manager taking insane amount of gpu power: I noticed that recently my laptop hasnt been running as well lately, so i checked in task manager and Destop Windows Manager (dwm.exe) is taking anywhere from 5-40% of my gpu power, and I have a 1660 Ti! Is there any way to limit to only integrated graphics? I tried to use...
  8. CSC Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CSC Folder: Having a major issue with deleting the CSC Folder Tried to take ownership, access denied Even tried as Admin try the reg fix - same problem keep getting access denied you need permission All profiles deleted from the local machine HELP! tried going to sync centre,...
  9. "Users" folder taking up large amounts of disk space!

"Users" folder taking up large amounts of disk space!: I have a 512GB SSD and I went to delete some file as I have ~40GB left and realized that the "Users" folder was taking up over 300GB of disk space! I went through the folder and nothing using that much space showed up... How do I fix this? I really need space as I am a video...
  10. PCDr taking a huge amount of space in the ProgramData folder

PCDr taking a huge amount of space in the ProgramData folder: I've seen another thread in this forum regarding PCDr (a folder within the ProgramData folder) and a couple of answers suggesting it could be either Dell software or malware. I have a Dell desktop myself, and I looked a bit more carefully at the contents of this folder when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows csc using disk space

2. windows installer directory taking a large amoutn of space

3. csc windows 10 taking lots of space

4. windows installer folder is taking large amount of space