Windows 10: Windows is Auto Logging into last User Account

Discus and support Windows is Auto Logging into last User Account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Let me briefly explain as I have seen many of the post already on similar topics. I have multiple computers at multiple office and home locations all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavisBest, Sep 6, 2018.

1. DavisBest Win User

Windows is Auto Logging into last User Account

Let me briefly explain as I have seen many of the post already on similar topics. I have multiple computers at multiple office and home locations all running windows 10 home edition (32 and 64). Lately (maybe last 6 months or so) windows is now logging into the last account that was open prior to restart or boot up. And now this is where my question differs from the others I have seen: All users are password protected. The credentials must be put in before any user can sign, but the previous users account has already loaded.

For example: An employee logs in their account and works the day and restarts the computer (password protected). I come in the next day and start up the computer and log into my account (password protected). When I log in, their account is logged in also and I have to sign out via task manager.

Another example: I have two accounts on my home computer: wife and myself. both password protected, netplwiz box is checked. I start up the computer after she uses, she is logged in as well as me. I must sign out via task manager.

Another Example: I have a laptop with 1 account, it signs in automatically, load time is quicker.

To be clear, all the setting are correct for the users that I can tell. All have passwords, and cannot bypass the lock screen without credentials. This auto log in works great for example 3 where there is 1 user. But in the previous two, I have to manually kill user accounts. If the person signing in does not have admin privileges they cannot kill the other user and the computer is much slower for that individual.

The question is: how to disable this function so windows never loads a previous users account prior to entering credentials at the lock screen? It appears that previous answers all involve requiring users to have passwords, but it doesn't seem like people realize that there is another user running in the background.

Any insight would be appreciated.

:)

DavisBest, Sep 6, 2018
  2. slim142 Win User

How-to enable auto log-on in Windows 7?

I need the computer to boot and then automatically log into Windows 7.

The account would automatically log into a standard account (non-admin) with no password.

However, I also have another account in that same computer (which is an admin account).

If I was to enable auto log-on into this computer, how would I be able to log into the administrator account that I have later if it skips the log-in screen?

slim142, Sep 6, 2018
  3. WillRay Win User
    Auto logging into disabled account Windows 10

I was able to fix this by doing the following:

• Boot up the computer, then kill the power after startup is complete.
    • Do step #1 again. (Two crashes within two minutes after startup will cause Windows to boot into Safe Mode automatically.)
    • You will be forcibly logged in to Safe Mode with the Administrator account.
    • Enable the Administrator account, and setup your normal account as needed.
    • Restart again, you will auto login as the Administrator account (which has now been enabled).
    • Log out of the Admin account, and log in with the normal account.
    • Disable the default Administrator account once again.

WillRay, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Windows is Auto Logging into last User Account

Windows 10 user account immediately logs out

Hi Edward,

• Have you tried the steps provided above?
    • If you have tried the steps provided above, is issue still persisting?
    • What was the result of SFC scan? Did it find corruption or not?

Try to create new user profile as an administrator and see if issue persists in new user profile. For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided below.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type control userpasswords2 and click OK

• Click on add under users tab

• Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account

• Click on Local account

• Choose a name for the account

• Add password if you want to

• Apply and click OK.

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows is Auto Logging into last User Account

1. Windows is Auto Logging into last User Account - Similar Threads - Auto Logging last

2. Guest Account auto-logging in.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Guest Account auto-logging in.: Hello Microsoft Community,I've been having a problem with a guest account I want to add to my organizations systems. On each machine I want to add a local guest account that does not need a password to login, yet whenever you boot the system up, it automatically logs in to...
  3. Guest Account auto-logging in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Guest Account auto-logging in.: Hello Microsoft Community,I've been having a problem with a guest account I want to add to my organizations systems. On each machine I want to add a local guest account that does not need a password to login, yet whenever you boot the system up, it automatically logs in to...
  4. Guest Account auto-logging in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to STOP Auto Login of last user?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to STOP Auto Login of last user?: The same as How to STOP Auto Login of last user - Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.The issue still exists on Windows 11 v22H2! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-auto-login-of-last-user/4e72f814-315b-415b-bac7-715d2a1a0e10
  6. How to STOP Auto Login of last user?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to STOP Auto Login of last user?: The same as How to STOP Auto Login of last user - Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.The issue still exists on Windows 11 v22H2! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-auto-login-of-last-user/4e72f814-315b-415b-bac7-715d2a1a0e10
  7. [SOLUTION] Disable Auto-Login of Last User in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [SOLUTION] Disable Auto-Login of Last User in Windows 10: For those having the same problem as this post, I have created a simple batch script to automatically edit the registry and its permissions to bring back the ability to choose a user upon startup.For those who want to try, feedback would be great for me to see if my solution...
  8. How to STOP Auto Login of last user

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to STOP Auto Login of last user: How do I force Windows 10 to display a list of users instead of automatically logging to the last used account? I have seen "fixes" posted for Windows 8, but I have also seen lots of comments that these fixes won't work in Windows 10. I'm looking for a reliable fix for...
  9. Windows 10 is automatically logging on to last user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 is automatically logging on to last user: Hi All, I just upgraded to windows 10. I have 3 users (Me as administrator) my wife and kid as normal users. When my wife has been logged on and she shuts down the PC then it automatically logs on to her account when i start PC again. This is annoying. I would like it to...
  10. Windows logs automatically logs into last user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows logs automatically logs into last user: I just upgraded my PC to windows 10 and have already seen my first issue. I have two user accounts on my computer. Neither of them have passwords. In Windows 7 it would load up windows and give me the option to select the user I want to sign into. In Windows 10 to...