Windows 10: Windows is detecting a volume of an external hard drive as unallocated space.

Discus and support Windows is detecting a volume of an external hard drive as unallocated space. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Pictured above is the unallocated space in disk management. The 2016 GB of unallocated data can be turned into a volume, the 5404.04 GB cannot. There... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by The Best Nerd, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Windows is detecting a volume of an external hard drive as unallocated space.

Pictured above is the unallocated space in disk management. The 2016 GB of unallocated data can be turned into a volume, the 5404.04 GB cannot. There was a large sum of data in the 5404, which I am trying to recover. Is there any way I might be able to recover the volume or the data that was in it?

:)

The Best Nerd, Sep 15, 2021

2. problems with formating external hard drive. Drive shows as unallocated drive.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you with this issue.

Let's try to format the external hard drive from disk management and check if it helps. Follow the steps below:

1. Right click on the Start menu and select Disk management.

2. Right-click on a rectangle that represents unallocated space on a hard drive, and select "New Simple Volume".

Note: that the color code that corresponds to the unallocated space vary in different Windows versions; consult the legend in the bottom of the Disk Management window.

3. Click "Next" and then "Next" again to accept the default size of the new partition.

4. Choose the option "Format the volume (partition) with the default settings" and click "Next."

5. Click "Finish" to create a new partition on the hard drive and format it.

Try the above steps and check if it helps. Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 15, 2021
  3. nancy3243 Win User
    Move unallocated space in external drive

Windows 10 OS-I have an external drive with 200 GB of unallocated space on the E Drive Disk1. How can I move this unallocated space to the E Drive to allow for a larger backup.

how to use unallocated space on my external drive- Original Title

nancy3243, Sep 15, 2021
  4. Windows is detecting a volume of an external hard drive as unallocated space.

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Sep 15, 2021
Thema:

Windows is detecting a volume of an external hard drive as unallocated space.

1. Windows is detecting a volume of an external hard drive as unallocated space. - Similar Threads - detecting volume external

2. No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.: I am trying to create partition on a new external hard drive but it won't let me since there's nothing to right click. The hard drive is 1.9tb but when I look the details in disk management, none of that storage space shows up. It also doesn't show up in My PC. Is there...
  3. No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.: I am trying to create partition on a new external hard drive but it won't let me since there's nothing to right click. The hard drive is 1.9tb but when I look the details in disk management, none of that storage space shows up. It also doesn't show up in My PC. Is there...
  4. Unallocated Space on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated Space on Hard Drive: I had a disk failure caused by a failed UPS. Before I realised I had tried to repair Windows. The disk is 1Tb, I also had a 1Tb disk used for file storage but I think this is on the verge of failings although it can still be read.I purchased a 2Tb HDD and was able to clone...
  5. external hard drive cant be detected

external hard drive cant be detected: when i plug in my hard drive, it doesn't show up in file explorer and disk management but only in device manager. when i restart my computer with the hard drive plugged in, i get a blue screen. is it a problem with the driver or windows and how do i fix this?...
  6. Unable to detect external hard drive

Unable to detect external hard drive: I have been attempting to download files from my external hard drive on my surface but cannot seem to find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-detect-external-hard-drive/80f9a17b-73ac-4cc6-8d42-74714afeb773
  7. Unallocated space on hard drive

Unallocated space on hard drive: Hello: I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 Version 1903 got everything up and running good then looked @ my Hdd its only showing 2.47tb on a 3tb Hdd. ? Went into Disk Manager and this is what I have [img] 746gb unallocated that I can not do anything with other then go...
  8. "Unallocated" hard drive

"Unallocated" hard drive: Hi I've got a hard drive that just completely stopped working. Removed it, and connected it to my laptop. It kept on asking if i wanted to format the drive., after tying everything i could, i gave up and formatted the hard drive. Everything went okay, and without any...
  9. Hard drive unallocated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive unallocated: When i finished building my pc i installed windows 10 on my ssd and also i had installed a 2T hard drive. The computer in disk managment reads the hard drive as drive 0 and all of it is unallocated space. I have tried to assign it a letter in disk mangement but it wont let me...
  10. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

Toshiba external hard drive not detectible: I have a Toshiba DWC250 5TB external drive formatted ReFS that I cannot detect in either Disk Management or by using DiskPart/List Disk. Cabling and power are sound. The unit is not user serviceable because the case is not designed to be opened. I use it in a storage pool on...