Windows 10: Windows is forcing me to use VLC to open a magnet file and I cant find a way to change it.

Discus and support Windows is forcing me to use VLC to open a magnet file and I cant find a way to change it. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I tried going to config -> App -> Default Apps and then change the default app but all the options it shows for .magnet are either using VLC or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/siggy164, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Windows is forcing me to use VLC to open a magnet file and I cant find a way to change it.

I tried going to config -> App -> Default Apps and then change the default app but all the options it shows for .magnet are either using VLC or something from the Microsoft store. My torrent client doesnt show up in the options. Is there any other way to change it ?

Edit: OS Build 19041.867, Version 2004

submitted by /u/siggy164
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/siggy164, Mar 26, 2021
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

vlc is not opening

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This issue could occur when there are multiple VLC process trying to execute in the background or the player is corrupted, you can try the troubleshooting methods provided below to fix this issue.

Method 1: End duplicate process.

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key on your keyboard together, it will open task manager.
    2. Click on More details, if the task manager is open in minimal Window.
    3. Unser the Processes tab, search for VLC process.
    4. If you see multiple process Right click and Click on End Task for duplicate processes.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall VLC player.

If you still face the issue, I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall VLC player by downloading the latest version from the manufacturer website.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps,

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Mar 26, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 26, 2021
  4. Sh3en Win User

Windows is forcing me to use VLC to open a magnet file and I cant find a way to change it.

My .bin file opens with VLC

I downloaded a file earlier that is in the .bin format but when I open it it opens with VLC? Is that normal or can I change it?

Sh3en, Mar 26, 2021
Thema:

Windows is forcing me to use VLC to open a magnet file and I cant find a way to change it.

1. Windows is forcing me to use VLC to open a magnet file and I cant find a way to change it. - Similar Threads - forcing VLC open

2. cant clean temp files becouse i cant find the open files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant clean temp files becouse i cant find the open files: I have a Dell Latitude 5520, windows 11. I have been trying for 2 days to clean my temp files. Still, it says there are files open that need to be closed ,I'm not a professional and got the laptop for school so I don't know anything about programs or what file does what,I did...
  3. cant clean temp files becouse i cant find the open files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant clean temp files becouse i cant find the open files: I have a Dell Latitude 5520, windows 11. I have been trying for 2 days to clean my temp files. Still, it says there are files open that need to be closed ,I'm not a professional and got the laptop for school so I don't know anything about programs or what file does what,I did...
  4. My computer forces me to change my password and I have little to no way of changing it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer forces me to change my password and I have little to no way of changing it.: My computer makes me randomly change my password every few weeks, with little to no input on who is causing this.It keeps saying 'my organization' requires me to change my password, but... my computer doesn't have one.What's worse, when I to fix this issue, going into local...
  5. My computer forces me to change my password and I have little to no way of changing it.

My computer forces me to change my password and I have little to no way of changing it.: My computer makes me randomly change my password every few weeks, with little to no input on who is causing this.It keeps saying 'my organization' requires me to change my password, but... my computer doesn't have one.What's worse, when I to fix this issue, going into local...
  6. Magnet

in Windows 10 Customization
    Magnet: Today Magnet handlers no longer work I tried with two different torrent clients made no difference. Tried in three different browsers same result. Disconnected my anti-virus program, no difference. Looked up the issue on the IE didn't help First instruction said said to open...
  7. VLC is not opening

VLC is not opening: My VLC is not opening. I tried to restart the computer, and install the latest version. But still not opening. I can see VLC is open in the task bar, but not showing the media window. Hope someone can help me out, thanks!...
  8. My .bin file opens with VLC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My .bin file opens with VLC: I downloaded a file earlier that is in the .bin format but when I open it it opens with VLC? Is that normal or can I change it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-file-opens-with-vlc/1881a9e5-11c1-44fa-b0ab-fada18ee5aab
  9. Is there a way to find the location of an open file?

Is there a way to find the location of an open file?: I'm coming from the MacOS environment where I'd right click on the filename in the titlebar and it'd show me where the file I'm working on is currently saved. Is there a way to find that information in the Windows environment? Thanks in advance for your response! Janvin...
  10. Files that I cant find.

Files that I cant find.: I was downloading a steam game. Then when it was still locating disk space I cancelled it. Now when I try to clear up storage it says there 80 gb being used but when I click on it to fix it. Nothing shows up....