Windows 10: Windows is ignoring Thunderbird as Default Email app

Discus and support Windows is ignoring Thunderbird as Default Email app in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Windows 10 (64-bit) v1909, Build 18363.778 has two user accounts. Myself (Administrator) and my wife (a Standard user). I have Thunderbird (TB) Email... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by wiganken, Apr 24, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

Windows is ignoring Thunderbird as Default Email app

Windows 10 (64-bit) v1909, Build 18363.778 has two user accounts. Myself (Administrator) and my wife (a Standard user). I have Thunderbird (TB) Email client installed (v68.7.0 32-bit) and this is recognised as being the default email app on both profiles. Both profiles are Local accounts.

On my profile if I right-click on a file and select "Send to" "Mail Recipient" it behaves correctly and attaches the file into a TB email.

On my wife's profile doing the same thing causes the procedure to create a Microsoft Outlook (MO) profile rather than launching TB.

Of course she can open TB first and then attach the file but she should not have to do it this way. Why is Windows ignoring the default TB email app and trying to push her into setting up a MO profile? Does anyone know how to stop this happening?

Thank you in advance.

Windows is ignoring Thunderbird as Default Email app [​IMG]

:)

wiganken, Apr 24, 2020

2. default email

Do the following:

- Press and hold Windows key and press I.

- Click Apps.

- Select Default Apps from the left pane.

- Select the application under the Email section.

- Select Thunderbird (Or an application of your choice) from the newly displayed list.

- Reboot and check if this solves your issue.

ChidumOsobalu [WIMVP], Apr 24, 2020
  3. Teemosan Win User
    Windows 10 not allowing me to select Thunderbird as the default mail app

I'm running Win 10 pro 1703 (build 15063.483) on a desktop PC

I use Thunderbird for email. I tried using Win 10 mail for a couple days but it was terrible. I'm trying to switch back to Thunderbird as my default app.

In Thunderbird > Options > Advanced I have selected "Always check to see if Thunderbird is the default ..." and selected Check Now. So it is set as the default within Thunderbird.

Yet when I got to Win 10 > PC Settings > Apps > Default Apps, under Email it isn't offering me the option to select Thunderbird. It's missing as an option. All I see is this

Windows is ignoring Thunderbird as Default Email app b9841275-1e2c-48c9-894f-e348db2b09ab.png

How can I get Windows to add Thunderbird to the list, so I can select it as default?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Teemosan, Apr 24, 2020
  4. Windows is ignoring Thunderbird as Default Email app

How do I make Thunderbird my default email client?

Try and set it within Thunderbird itself under options.

Although I'm surprised it doesn't show..

Mine wasn't listed as default, there was no entry. Maybe setting it as default in Thunderbird over rides W10. Mine is acting like it is default.

Torquemada, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

Windows is ignoring Thunderbird as Default Email app

1. Windows is ignoring Thunderbird as Default Email app - Similar Threads - ignoring Thunderbird Default

2. Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset: I followed the procedure to reset Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion-g Laptop. It was successful and the updates installed, but now I cannot download email to my Thunderbird app and get the message "Unable to write the email to the mailbox....". "Unable to write the email to the...
  3. Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Emails will not write to Thunderbird app after Windows 10 reset: I followed the procedure to reset Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion-g Laptop. It was successful and the updates installed, but now I cannot download email to my Thunderbird app and get the message "Unable to write the email to the mailbox....". "Unable to write the email to the...
  4. Windows Ignoring default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Ignoring default browser: Hi Alli currently use Windows 11I have set my Default browser to be chrome yet it still opens in edge, i have set which file types to open in chrome all is set to chrome, but for some unknown reason it still opens in Edge, is this a windows issue or am i missing...
  5. Windows Ignoring default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Ignoring default browser: Hi Alli currently use Windows 11I have set my Default browser to be chrome yet it still opens in edge, i have set which file types to open in chrome all is set to chrome, but for some unknown reason it still opens in Edge, is this a windows issue or am i missing...
  6. Can't Set Thunderbird as Default Email Application

in Browsers and Email
    Can't Set Thunderbird as Default Email Application: Hi, friends! I won't belabor the fact that Microsoft has failed us regarding setting file type assignments and default applications, even with tools that calculate the correct hashes. But all I'm trying to do is to set the default email application to Thunderbird, and that...
  7. Windows 10 Mail app ignoring email accounts

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail app ignoring email accounts: As you can see in the image below, I have setup (even two different) email accounts but the Windows 10 Mail app acts as if I have not setup any... [img] I already tried the official MS forums to no avail. I.e. deleting and re-adding accounts, reinstalling Mail app or...
  8. Mail app ignoring my email accounts

Mail app ignoring my email accounts: In spite of having created even two different Email accounts, the Mail app only shows the "Welcome to Mail" screen asking me to add an account... What is wrong? [ATTACH]...
  9. Thunderbird Email Problem

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird Email Problem: Every time I send email with Thunderbird I put multiple recipients in the Bcc: section and no one in the To: section and that is what is shown. However, when the people I'm sending it to get the email everyone is in the To: line and they can see everyone else's email address....
  10. Ignoring Default App Settings

Ignoring Default App Settings: New Windows 10 Home Computer, set up using PCMover from Windows 7 Home Premium Computer. A few problems, of course, so far mainly applications that did not transfer properly, and those easily solved. One problem however I don't understand, and, therefore, cannot fix. I've...