Windows 10: Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus?

Discus and support Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; It's getting pretty suspicious. I've tried almost everything I've found on activating my Windows Defender. I've uninstalled MalwareBytes for sure the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Edward Agadjanian, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus?

It's getting pretty suspicious. I've tried almost everything I've found on activating my Windows Defender. I've uninstalled MalwareBytes for sure the only third-party malware software I had and restarted my computer kind of stupid that there's no neat remover like that just to make sure. I've tried starting the running of Windows Defender Antivirus Service in the Services registry, and it just gives me an error:

Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus? 02ba5d65-ee40-4296-8957-71c1fdc7c01c?upload=true.jpg

I've tried running the latest security intelligence update, but it fails:

Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus? bcd7de81-ca68-4f2d-b898-6e519e3d731c?upload=true.jpg

I've tried all kinds of things in Command Prompt, but it doesn't recognize many of the file paths:

Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus? 20d5453d-3cb7-4e44-a5f9-169c557bae23?upload=true.jpg

I've tried manually installing a Windows Defender update, but it doesn't launch...

Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus? fac5c103-af1e-408a-8f5a-6f5d85f3eb3c?upload=true.jpg

At this point, I'm just getting heavily suspicious that I have a virus, or is Windows just this unnecessarily complicated?? Please help...

Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus? 777eff4c-739f-4927-9866-14a9a7fe6c59?upload=true.jpg

Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus? 04df5b02-3b77-4e2d-8814-100d1b4a214e?upload=true.jpg

:)

Edward Agadjanian, Mar 29, 2020

2. Windows defender's process running despite it being disabled.

Windows Defender is integrated within Windows 10. So you have it and it is running (as it should be) unless you installed a 3rd party "real-time" anti-malware solution. If you are using an alternative security solution, it should have registered itself with Windows Action Center which would then disable the real-time component of Windows Defender - unless you specifically told the 3rd party solution not to register itself.

For example, if you purchased Malwarebytes "Premium", it has a real-time scanner (the free version does not). When you install Malwarebytes Premium, it registers itself in Windows Action Center. But because Malwarebytes and Windows Defender play very well together without hogging resources or causing conflicts, it is often recommended to allow each to run at the same time. So to allow that, the user has to manually go into the Malwarebytes control panel Settings menu and select the option to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center".

I suspect other 3rd party solutions provide similar options so you might check that out if you did indeed, install a 3rd party security solution.

Both Windows Update and Windows Defender are supposed to step way back in to the background so they do not interfere with system performance when you are actively using your computer. But this is not always possible, especially if you regularly shut down your computer when you step away from it (instead of just letting it go to sleep), as too much time may have passed and your system is too far behind in Windows and security updates.

Without you noting which program was actually consuming the lion's share of that 80%, there's no way to tell what, at this point, was causing the problem. However, I would not put it past a browser. Chrome, for example, is very good (or bad, I should say) at eating up a lot of RAM and failing to let it go when exited.

Bill_Bright, Mar 29, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/let-your-windows-8-defender-update-itself-automatically.34359/

P4-630, Mar 29, 2020
  4. malware Win User

Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus?

Windows Defender Released

Microsoft has released the final version of its Windows Defender anti-spyware utility. Windows Defender is a product of the Microsoft acquisition of GIANT Software. Previously known as Windows AntiSpyware, after a two years beta period it's now available for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 under the name Windows Defender. Windows Defender incorporates Real-Time Protection to monitor systems for spyware activity, automated spyware removal with scheduled scans, full integration with Internet Explorer 7.0 and automatic spyware definition updates from Microsoft. Windows Defender is available freely to all customers running a genuine copy of Windows. Microsoft has also announced that customers will each be allowed to report two support incidents for free with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Source: DailyTech

malware, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus?

1. Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus? - Similar Threads - letting run Defender

2. I have a virus that wont let me do anything in settings. if I try to Factory reset it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a virus that wont let me do anything in settings. if I try to Factory reset it...: any help would be much appreciated, please ask questions! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-virus-that-wont-let-me-do-anything-in/4fb704e1-57aa-45e3-a19c-2c44cd3396d5
  3. Microsoft defender not letting me remove a virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft defender not letting me remove a virus: I have a virus or something on my computer and when I click remove and then take action it just tries to make me do a scan, I have done about 10 scans and it doesn't do anything. I want the virus off my computer....
  4. Windows Defender keeps telling me I have a virus

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender keeps telling me I have a virus: I've downloaded a file which turned out to have a virus. I've removed it manually, but Windows Defender keeps telling me that there is a malicious file present, despite the file no longer existing. I've did a deep ESET and Norton scan that found nothing, but Windows Defender...
  5. Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus?

Windows is not letting me run Windows Defender...Do I have a virus?: It's getting pretty suspicious. I've tried almost everything I've found on activating my Windows Defender. I've uninstalled MalwareBytes for sure the only third-party malware software I had and restarted my computer kind of stupid that there's no neat remover like that just...
  6. I want to run an application but Windows defender wont let me

I want to run an application but Windows defender wont let me: I am trying to run an application which the windows security keeps blocking. I opened the Virus and Malware section but it is showing that it is managed by my organisation... Then when I tried to open the application, a message pops up that "your IT admin has limited access...
  7. Virus wont let me boot or do anything

Virus wont let me boot or do anything: So i accidentaly installed a virus on my laptop then I ran both AVG and Avast to check for virus in the computer it said that all threats had been removed, then i reboot my laptop and it froze while booting so i ran the Windows Resoution and i checked the disk at cmd now...
  8. Windows wont let me do anything due to a virus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows wont let me do anything due to a virus: Hello, I had recently gone to install a game on my laptop but accidentally clicked on an ad instead and downloaded a virus called "Word Web". I tried deleting it off my hard drive but it still kept showing up. One day I booted up my laptop and found that it had started...
  9. Windows defender in v1703 does not let me run app

Windows defender in v1703 does not let me run app: Where is the "allow exclusion" in this version of windows? So frustrating. 84137
  10. Windows Defender letting me down

Windows Defender letting me down: Hey guys, Like everybody else i am on Build 14946. Since yesterday i get a notification "found some malware ...Windows Defenders removing it". Strange because i installed AVG antivirus, let it run and nothing found. Add to remove AVG, because it interferes with...