Windows 10: Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive

Discus and support Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Have Win 10Pro everything is fine except I can Not get a new NVMe M.2 to be recognized correctly by the OS it sees it as a SATA even though it is in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnBarsotti, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive

Have Win 10Pro everything is fine except I can Not get a new NVMe M.2 to be recognized correctly by the OS it sees it as a SATA even though it is in a M.2 slot on Motherboard. I need more of an order of things to be done between the BIOS and Win 10. I installed a Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB drive in a Z270X Gaming 7 MB and Win 10 has a problem and it sees it and formatted it as a Sata with only a little less than 500g of space???

:)

JohnBarsotti, Jul 18, 2019

2. How to reinstall windows completely on an m.2 nvme drive

How to reinstall windows completely on an m.2 nvme drive

cclark4379, Jul 18, 2019
  3. fjk61011 Win User
    Macrium Reflect Boot USB doesn't recognize ssd NVMe M.2 drives

Macrium Reflect Boot USBdoesn't recognize ssd NVMe M.2 drives.

Any ideas?

fjk61011, Jul 18, 2019
  4. Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive

How to Reinstall Windows Completely on an M.2 NVME Drive

So, you're experiencing issues with Windows 10, eh? Gone are the days of simply wiping a disk and doing a fresh install. My problem was that the Windows networking stack corrupted, and I was unable to launch wifi settings, and upon further investigation
    found that I couldn't even run an ipconfig command.

Whatever your reason is, I'll save you the hours of frustration of trying to reinstall Windows on an NVME by telling you exactly how. Wiping an NVME is not as simple as one would hope. You can only modify it while booted into it. That's right, no GParted
    in Linux, no DBAN, and running your reinstallation disk won't allow you to simply reinstall Windows. Windows 10 knows that there is already Windows on the drive, and will do everything possible to prevent you from nuking it. I would recommend first trying
    the "Reset Windows" option, and even running "Startup Repair", but if all else fails, or if Windows is corrupted, read on. The reason resetting your system or restoring to a previous version may not work is if Windows 10 itself is corrupted. You can mess around
    with sfc /scannow , but in the end if Windows is corrupted, you may not have a choice. This is the complete nuclear option, the last resort to your Windows-related issues.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage caused to your files, hardware, or software. Following this advice is at your own risk.

Step 0: Back Up Your Files

I think this one goes without saying, but please back up your personal files, as by the end of this tutorial you will lose EVERYTHING.

Step 1: Download the Windows Media Creation Tool

You can find it at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 . After downloading, open the tool. When prompted "What do you want to do?", select "Create installation media for another computer". When given the option of either directly
    to a usb or to a .iso file, choose an iso (the usb option is a little finicky). After the download completes, burn the iso to a usb with Rufus ( https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.18.exe ), or burn to a DVD of your choice.

Step 2: Change Motherboard Settings to Disable Intel RST RAID Storage

After creating the installation media, (and you better have already backed up those files), restart the computer and go into your BIOS settings. Depending on your specific motherboard, these settings might be different, or located elsewhere. Find "Storage
    Configuration", and scroll down to "SATA Mode". (If your M.2 is not detected, this will almost certainly fix the issue.)
    Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive [​IMG]

You'll want to change this to AHCI. Your M.2 should now be recognized. Save your changes and exit.

Step 3: Wipe the SSD

If you have any auxiliary storage drives, either unplug them or make a note of their capacities. You DO NOT want to accidentally wipe the wrong drive.

From here, boot into Windows as normal, and while holding shift, click the power button on the Start menu, and select "Restart". Continue holding shift until you have successfully rebooted into Windows Advanced Boot Options. From here, click "Advanced Options"
    and select "Command Prompt".

We will be using the DISKPART commands to wipe the drive. Ignore the quotation marks, as these are the commands inside.

Type "DISKPART"

DISKPART will launch. Next, type "LIST DISK".

Find your M.2, (Mine was a 256GB Adata XPG, shown as 236GB, and was "DISK 1").

Once you have identified your drive, type "Select disk #" (Where the pound is actually your drive number).

Type "clean". Your M.2 is now wiped. This next part is important.

Type "convert GPT".

Type "exit".

Close the window. Windows is officially wiped from our M.2 drive. Shut down the computer.

Step 4: Launch Windows Install Media

Plug in that USB/DVD, and boot from the Windows Install Media. Select your version of Windows to install (most likely Windows 10 Home), and proceed. You will now be able to see the M.2 drive listed in the drives you can install on. Select the M.2 drive and
    click "New". Hit "OK", and proceed through with the installation. Although pretty self-explanatory, if you need more help, there are vast amounts of tutorials on the web to help you.

Congrats, you have successfully wiped your NVME M.2 and reinstalled a fresh instance of Windows 10. I hope this tutorial was helpful, and that you succeeded in wiping your NVME and your computer runs good as new.

senpaireefer, Jul 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive

1. Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive - Similar Threads - recognizing NVMe drive

2. External m.2 NVMe drives suddenly not recognized in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External m.2 NVMe drives suddenly not recognized in Windows 11: I have 3 external m.2 NVMe drives in USB enclosures. These were working fine, then suddenly Windows 11 does not see them. The same problem on both my laptop and PC, so the problem must be common to both. Laptop running 22H2, PC running 23H2 PC updated from 22H2 on...
  3. External m.2 NVMe drives suddenly not recognized in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External m.2 NVMe drives suddenly not recognized in Windows 11: I have 3 external m.2 NVMe drives in USB enclosures. These were working fine, then suddenly Windows 11 does not see them. The same problem on both my laptop and PC, so the problem must be common to both. Laptop running 22H2, PC running 23H2 PC updated from 22H2 on...
  4. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  5. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  6. Windows installation tool not recognizing NVMe M.2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows installation tool not recognizing NVMe M.2: I have an Acer laptop, which it came with W10 pre-installed. I changed to Linux Mint, but recently I had to change it back to W10. The problem is, Windows Setup Tool does not list my SSD as a drive, I have a blank list instead written "No drives recognised"The SSD appears in...
  7. Windows installation tool not recognizing NVMe M.2

Windows installation tool not recognizing NVMe M.2: I have an Acer laptop, which it came with W10 pre-installed. I changed to Linux Mint, but recently I had to change it back to W10. The problem is, Windows Setup Tool does not list my SSD as a drive, I have a blank list instead written "No drives recognised"The SSD appears in...
  8. Windows installation tool not recognizing NVMe M.2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  10. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to find nvme m.2 drive in cmd

2. windows doesnt recognise nvme

3. windows doesnt see nvme drive

4. nvme drive not detected crystal disk,
  5. how to find m.2 drive,
  6. not recognizing m.2 drive,
  7. windows doesnt detect nvme,
  8. m.2 not recognized by windows,
  9. nvme enclosure not working,
  10. cant find nvme pcie drive in windows 10,
  11. cant detect my nvme,