Windows 10: Windows is prompting me to enter a password for an email that no longer is linked to my...

Discus and support Windows is prompting me to enter a password for an email that no longer is linked to my... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; The title says it all. Whenever windows needs to confirm my identity, like when trying to purchase something from the store or when trying to sync... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LucasHitt1, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Windows is prompting me to enter a password for an email that no longer is linked to my...

The title says it all. Whenever windows needs to confirm my identity, like when trying to purchase something from the store or when trying to sync passwords, it will ask for my computers PIN which I can enter no problem and then it asks for the password to a hotmail account that no longer is linked to this account. The email in question is not listed on my credentials manager, and I can not change its password as the email was deleted long ago.

This is my second ticket for this problem, I am not a happy camper :

:)

LucasHitt1, Oct 6, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Getting prompts to enter password in Windows Mail app

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the following questions to help you further:

• May I know who the Email Service provider is?
    • Are you able to login to the email account through your favorite web-browser?
    • What happens when you enter password?

In the meantime, please follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Reconfiguring the account

I suggest you to remove the account from the Windows 10 mail app and configure it again. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Windows Mail app by searching it from the
      Start menu.
    2. At the bottom of the left navigation pane, click on
      Settings (Gear icon).
    3. Select Manage accounts.
    4. Click on the account and select Delete account from this device.
    5. On the confirmation page, select Delete.
    6. After deleting the account follow the steps from the article

Set up email in the Mail app for Windows 10
      to add the email account.

Method 2: Resetting password

You can try resetting the password for the email account and check if that helps. To reset the password login to the website of the email provider in any browser and change the password.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 6, 2020
  3. 7.62 Win User
    Email clients not remembering passwords

Hi all

A friends computer will not remember his gmail password. He used to use outlook, and seeing that I use thunderbird and it would be easier to troubleshoot I installed that for him. Now that was working for a few weeks, and now the same problem is occuring.

We are 100% sure the password is correct, as we can access the email account through webmail, but the local clients will not remember the correct password. Of course the 'Remember password' button is checked, but still no good.

It returns with incorrect password.

Any suggestions?

7.62, Oct 6, 2020
  4. Windows is prompting me to enter a password for an email that no longer is linked to my...

UAC prompt asks to enter password in Windows 10

Hi Irinelonofrei,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to login to the built-in admin account and check:

1. Click on Start icon and select Command Prompt run as administrator
    there.

2. Accept the UAC prompt.

3. Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
    net user administrator /active:yes

Note: To disable the account follow the instructions : net user administrator /active:no

If you can log into the Default Administrator account, follow these steps to perform System Restore:

a. On the desktop, press Windows key + R to open a Run Dialog.

b. Type %systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe.

c. Press Enter and select a restore point before the account got deleted.

If issue persists, also try this:

Try to save the password in credential manager and check. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Click on "Credential Manager" and select "Windows Credentials".
    • Go down to "Generic Credentials" and select "MicrosoftAccount:user=<user_name>" (where <user_name> should be your user name).
    • Click "Edit" and Change the password and press "Save".
    • Check if issue persists.

Hope this helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows is prompting me to enter a password for an email that no longer is linked to my...

1. Windows is prompting me to enter a password for an email that no longer is linked to my... - Similar Threads - prompting enter password

2. OneDrive signs in without me entering email and password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive signs in without me entering email and password: After unlinking OneDrive and I come to sign back in, I find that my email address appears without me entering it. When I then click 'sign in' it opens OneDrive without me entering the password. This means that anyone can access my information if they got their hands on my...
  3. OneDrive signs in without me entering email and password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive signs in without me entering email and password: After unlinking OneDrive and I come to sign back in, I find that my email address appears without me entering it. When I then click 'sign in' it opens OneDrive without me entering the password. This means that anyone can access my information if they got their hands on my...
  4. USB will not prompt me for Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB will not prompt me for Password: When I plug a password protected USB in my laptop a pop up would appear asking me to enter a password. In the past week the pop up box has disappeared and I cannot open encrypted USB's - how do I get the pop-up back?...
  5. USB will not prompt me for Password

USB will not prompt me for Password: When I plug a password protected USB in my laptop a pop up would appear asking me to enter a password. In the past week the pop up box has disappeared and I cannot open encrypted USB's - how do I get the pop-up back?...
  6. USB will not prompt me for Password

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows 10 email app keep asking me to re-enter my email password

Windows 10 email app keep asking me to re-enter my email password: I have been having this issue for the past 4 days after my windows 10 last update. Windows email app keep asking to re-enter the password every time the app try to it search for email. I switch to outlook app but the same problem. I don't know what to do it's really...
  8. Windows 10 Repeatedly Prompts Me For Admin Password After Entering It

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Repeatedly Prompts Me For Admin Password After Entering It: Hello! I have been using Windows 10 on my PC with family restrictions and have been trying to run a program in administrator mode on my son’s account. I change it to Admin Mode in the properties menu and try to launch the application, but when I do so I receive a pop-up...
  9. My laptop wants me to "verify my identity" but the email it wants is no longer linked to my...

in Windows 10 Customization
    My laptop wants me to "verify my identity" but the email it wants is no longer linked to my...: As stated in the title my Laptop is repeatedly asking me to verify my identity, but when I click to verify the email it gives me to sign into is one no longer linked to my Microsoft account. It isn't a serious problem, but it is annoying that every time I open my computer it...
  10. My email link no longer works on my website.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My email link no longer works on my website.: I was updating my website. I noticed that my email link was not working. I get a notice saying the app is not installed or if it is installed, do this, do that, etc? Website has had no issues until recently. Can someone tell me what app is missing?...