Windows 10: Windows is Removing Program Defaults

Discus and support Windows is Removing Program Defaults in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just started using a different computer at work. This computer has Windows 10. I set my default photo viewer to the Photos app (because there was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Murrin26, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Murrin26 Win User

Windows is Removing Program Defaults

I just started using a different computer at work. This computer has Windows 10. I set my default photo viewer to the Photos app (because there was no default set), and I set my default internet browser to Firefox (it was set to Internet Explorer by default).

But every time I reboot my computer, Windows 10 is removing/changing these program defaults, such that there is no default photo viewer anymore and I have to reset it to the Photos app again. And it changes the default browser from Firefox to Internet Explorer...

So I figured out how to disable Internet Explorer, so I did that. Then, after doing that, I once again manually reset my default browser to Firefox and reset my default photo viewer to the Photos app.

Then, when I rebooted my computer again, Windows removed the default photo viewer again, and this time, it removed the default browser as well. (Presumably, it tried to change the default browser to Internet Explorer again, but since Internet Explorer was disabled, it changed the default browser to nothing).

Why would Windows remove the default photo viewer every time I reboot my computer? And why would Windows change the default browser to Internet Explorer of all things every time I reboot my computer (or change the default browser to nothing, when Internet Explorer is unavailable)?

And more importantly, is there a way to fix this? Is there a way that when I set my default apps, they will actually stay the default apps when I reboot my computer?

:)

Murrin26, Oct 13, 2019
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Windows is Removing Program Defaults :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Oct 13, 2019
  3. Add Remove Programs in Windows XP doesn't finish loading program list?!

Add Remove Programs in Windows XP doesn't finish loading the program list (It never even starts displaying any programs) and I believe it may be that a uninstall program messed up completely and Windows can't figure out what programs are installed because of it. What is the problem? Please?

ventusignis, Oct 13, 2019
  4. Windows is Removing Program Defaults

Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Oct 13, 2019
Thema:

Windows is Removing Program Defaults

1. Windows is Removing Program Defaults - Similar Threads - Removing Program Defaults

2. Default Program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Program: can't create an association in the Default Program. Can't email scanned item, "no email program is associated to forward scan as email." Followed directions to select the file type to change Mail to Thunderbird, but do not find an OK box to confirm the change....
  3. Default programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default programs: I just reinstalled Windows10 with latest updates and now when I go to Settings to set my defaults specifically Photos - ThumbsPlus , ThumbsPlus does not show up as a selection. The option to select another program from this PC is no longer there, the only options are various...
  4. Default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default programs: I have set up my default browser properly and when I start it, after startup, it asks me t;o make it the default browser; I have to set it up again and I still get the "make me the default browser" . I know how to do it properly, I've been doing it for years, also the...
  5. Remove duplicate default program entry

Remove duplicate default program entry: After a bout with some spyware, I found that I have two entries for Firefox in my list of default programs in Win 10 settings. One won't let me pick Firefox as the default browser when I choose that one. I want to remove it from the list. Is there a quick way? See the...
  6. Remove duplicate default program entry

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove duplicate default program entry: After a bout with some spyware, I found that I have two entries for Firefox in my list of default programs in Win 10 settings. One won't let me pick Firefox as the default browser when I choose that one. I want to remove it from the list. Is there a quick way? See the...
  7. Default Program

Default Program: Hi, I was wondering if there is any way to get back to the old Default Program Screen in Win 10. I'm using 10 Pro version 1803 build 17134.407 now. I just don't like the way the new setup is. Thanks much! 122096
  8. Default Program

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Program: Hi, I was wondering if there is any way to get back to the old Default Program Screen in Win 10. I'm using 10 Pro version 1803 build 17134.407 now. I just don't like the way the new setup is. Thanks much! 122096
  9. Remove uninstalled programs from Default Programs menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove uninstalled programs from Default Programs menu: Hi first post. I installed ImageGlass a while back and realized it was useless after I got Windows Photo Viewer to work via regedit. I uninstalled ImageGlass afterwards. When I try to set Windows Photo Viewer as my default Photos app, not only is it not there but ImageGlass...
  10. Default Programs??

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Default Programs??: I'm making a Windows 10 Pro image and I want to make some programs I installed from the administrator account to be default for all users that sign in from our active directory. Is this possible just by using the admin account?? 38787