Windows 10: Windows is taking extremely high time to start.

Discus and support Windows is taking extremely high time to start. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. I am having a problem starting up windows. Its taking too much time to start up. A black screen appears and a loading circle begin to spin. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mohammad Hosen Saikat, May 30, 2023.

1. Windows is taking extremely high time to start.

Hi. I am having a problem starting up windows. Its taking too much time to start up. A black screen appears and a loading circle begin to spin. It takes almost 5-6 minutes to start.It also take huge time to shut down. Need solution very badly.Thanks

:)

Mohammad Hosen Saikat, May 30, 2023
  2. bumgarb42 Win User

Extremely High RAM utilization, high Paged Pool

The issue started in mid-February when I received multiple warnings and critical alerts from my RMM software for several PCs I administer - the RMMs settings for RAM alerts are a warning at 85% and critical at 90%.
    All of these systems have been deployed for over 2 years and I've never had any of them give high memory alerts before. Now, of the 12 PCs in the office, 10 PCs are going to critical alert with the RAM use slowly creeping up over a 4+ day period. The users are complaining of the PCs becoming slow, lagging, or unresponsive. A reboot tends to make the PC usable again until the RAM gets critical again.

Image 1 is RMM metrics from a users PC showing RAM (purple line) before the issues started, and after February 12th, the RAM creeping to +90% after the issues started
    Image 2 is a current image of the RMM metrics for the last month

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324743d1616799818t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-cjw_tmp_1.png

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324742d1616799846t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-cjw_tmp_2.png

To make the issue more obvious, here is an image from our conference room Intel NUC, that is idle most of the time. I know that the spikes are the right side are while the PC was mostly idle and I was rebooting the PC to get the RAM to drop:

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324744d1616799901t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-conf_tmp_1.png

To help you understand some of the things I have tried, here are samples of the alerts I got from my RMM software:

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324745d1616799971t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-conf_alert_1.png

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324746d1616799971t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-cjw_alert_1.png

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324747d1616799971t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-jgw_alert_1.png

As I mentioned above, I have 10 PCs, some are idle, having this issue. I have 2 actively used PCs that are NOT having the issue. In trying to troubleshoot, I have basically compared the idle systems with the issue to the 2 active user PCs that are not having the issue.
    Here are images from Process Explorer, Task Manager and RAMMAP from an idle system that is having the issue:

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 748d1616800736t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-20210326_dwa_idle_processexplorer.png

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324749d1616800736t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-20210326_dwa_idle_rammap.png

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 750d1616800736t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-20210326_dwa_idle_taskmanager_ram.png

Initially seeing epsecurityservice at the top of Process Explorer and in the RMM alert, I thought BitDefender Endpoint Security (GravityZone) was the issue. I applied a “disable” policy to BitDefender on an idle system and the issue did seem to stop after a reboot.

HOWEVER, seeing svchost in the list, I also tried a Clean Boot, but disabled everything EXCEPT BitDefender and my RMM software so I could continue to connect to the system.

Again, the issue seemed to stop with a Clean Boot and BitDefender still enabled.

So I compared Process Explorer metrics for a system with the issue and one that doesn’t have the issue and found that epsecurityservice.exe had roughly the same RAM use between the two systems… and the numbers were not increasing steadily over time.
    This made me think BitDefender isn’t the issue but perhaps something it uses in the OS.

So I then looked at RAMMAP and Task Manager, and that is when I saw the extremely high Paged Pool on the idle system and a relatively small Paged Pool on the system in use. So I checked all the systems with the issue and they all have extremely high paged pools, even on systems that have been rebooted and left idle for days.

Here are screenshots of for one of my systems that is not having the RAM issue:

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324751d1616800994t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-20210326_lgs_processexplorer.png

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324752d1616800994t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-20210326_lgs_rammap.png

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324753d1616800994t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-20210326_lgs_taskmanager_ram.png

And just for a comparison reference, here is what my RMM metrics for RAM look like on one of my PCs that doesn't have the issue:

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324755d1616801054t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-lgs_tmp_1.png

Here is a quick rundown of these systems configurations which is making it hard to determine if it is a driver issue since 4 different configurations are having the issue:

Windows is taking extremely high time to start. 324757d1616802014t-extremely-high-ram-utilization-high-paged-pool-mfsok_pc_config_brief.png

I'm not sure whether the huge Page Pool is okay, but it doesn't seem normal when compared to how my RAM utilization is for the 2 systems that are not having any issues.

If anyone has suggestions on what else I should try to resolve this, I’d greatly appreciate it.

If you want more information, please give me step-by-step simply to save time – I don’t want to waste any time assuming I know what you want and giving you the wrong info.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

bumgarb42, May 30, 2023
  3. Updates are taking extremely long times to download in Windows 10

HI,

I did a cean windows 10 install,I tried to update my windows but its taking extreme amount of time. My laptop is on since 11 hours and so far only 22% of it got downloaded.

Same problem with downloading Office 2016, it doesn't get downloaded.

Can anyone please suggest a fix.

Thanks,

Janmajay

JanmajayAdhikari, May 30, 2023
  4. bennetwa Win User

Windows is taking extremely high time to start.

Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All

Thanks for the suggestion but this didn't work. And for completing step 3 and 4 I had to reverse them and perform step 4 1st and then step 3 next. I don't know if going out of order makes a difference but the two times I'd try to do step 3, it came back with a message saying my only options were On or Off.

And just for clarification on Step 2 what kind of file did you place in the c root to take up the hiberfile space? A video file? That's what I did, specifically Back to the Future, with a little bit of wishful thinking that it would take my system back in time to a point when it was working.

bennetwa, May 30, 2023
Thema:

Windows is taking extremely high time to start.

1. Windows is taking extremely high time to start. - Similar Threads - taking extremely high

2. Windows 11 cloud install is taking an extremely long amount of time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 cloud install is taking an extremely long amount of time.: I had some issues with my pc where the startup and shutdown could take up to 10 minutes, so I decided to reinstall windows with a cloud install, however the install has currently been going on for 3 hours and I'm worried if the install is broken. If it is, what should I do?...
  3. Windows 11 cloud install is taking an extremely long amount of time.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 cloud install is taking an extremely long amount of time.: I had some issues with my pc where the startup and shutdown could take up to 10 minutes, so I decided to reinstall windows with a cloud install, however the install has currently been going on for 3 hours and I'm worried if the install is broken. If it is, what should I do?...
  4. Windows is taking extremely high time to start.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is taking extremely high time to start.: Hi. I am having a problem starting up windows. Its taking too much time to start up. A black screen appears and a loading circle begin to spin. It takes almost 5-6 minutes to start.It also take huge time to shut down. Need solution very badly.Thanks...
  5. Windows is taking extremely high time to start.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows is taking extremely high time to start.: Hi. I am having a problem starting up windows. Its taking too much time to start up. A black screen appears and a loading circle begin to spin. It takes almost 5-6 minutes to start.It also take huge time to shut down. Need solution very badly.Thanks...
  6. For 3rd time... Extremly high ping issues on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    For 3rd time... Extremly high ping issues on Windows 11: So this is my third time opening this in hope someone will give me a answer..."Since I have updated to Windows 11 I have issues with my ping constantly. When I updated it used to reach amounts of 2k+ ms. Around 2 months ago whilst searching for answer I was desperate I found...
  7. For 3rd time... Extremly high ping issues on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    For 3rd time... Extremly high ping issues on Windows 11: So this is my third time opening this in hope someone will give me a answer..."Since I have updated to Windows 11 I have issues with my ping constantly. When I updated it used to reach amounts of 2k+ ms. Around 2 months ago whilst searching for answer I was desperate I found...
  8. Windows 11 Insider builds take an EXTREMELY long time to install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Insider builds take an EXTREMELY long time to install: Since around introduction of Build 25267 in the Dev Channel, the update process started to take more than 2 hours after the first reboot. The indication of progress "Working on updates [some number] %. Don't turn off your PC. This will take a while." gets stuck at around...
  9. Restarting system taking extremely long time

in Windows 10 Support
    Restarting system taking extremely long time: Hello forum. I purchased an all in one Desktop which is running windows 10 home. Because this was a display model, the salesperson told me I'd have to restart the system in order to delete all the stuff which had been installed while on display, various apps and software. So...
  10. restarting after update is taking extremely long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    restarting after update is taking extremely long time: last time after update 1511 i tried restarting my laptop was 1 hour please help me 43413