Windows 10: Windows is updating my apps without my permission. How to stop?

Discus and support Windows is updating my apps without my permission. How to stop? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; it looks like my alarms and clock app got updated. Start menu icon changed. I just rebooted, and all my sticky notes have their own taskbar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by link626, May 21, 2020.

1. link626 Win User

Windows is updating my apps without my permission. How to stop?

it looks like my alarms and clock app got updated. Start menu icon changed.

I just rebooted, and all my sticky notes have their own taskbar tab/button, whereas before, it would just have one button for all notes combined.

I have windows update set to metered connection.

how do i stop this?

on 1909

:)

link626, May 21, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

App Permissions

Hi Tony,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Some apps require certain permissions to work properly. However, you can change the permissions given to the apps by following the below steps:

1. Click on Start.
    2. Click on Settings and then click on Privacy.
    3. Under the App Permissions you can change the permissions which are assigned for the apps.

However, you can go through the
    Microsoft Privacy Statement

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 21, 2020
  3. Dos101 Win User
    Windows Phone users Clubhouse

I think I'll put a list of people's favourite apps in the OP, starting with my own until I get some suggestions, but you can take a look at the Windows Phone app store at the top apps to see what's popular Windows Phone-Apps – Microsoft Store

You are both now added, welcome! *Toast :toast:

Dos101, May 21, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows is updating my apps without my permission. How to stop? - Similar Threads - updating apps without

2. Microsoft, please stop installing apps without my permission. Any way to stop this from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft, please stop installing apps without my permission. Any way to stop this from...: Microsoft Windows 11 keeps reinstalling the apps that I uninstall manually. Those apps have no use for me so why does Windows 11 keep installing them?...
  3. Microsoft, please stop installing apps without my permission. Any way to stop this from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft, please stop installing apps without my permission. Any way to stop this from...: Microsoft Windows 11 keeps reinstalling the apps that I uninstall manually. Those apps have no use for me so why does Windows 11 keep installing them?...
  4. Will windows 10 update to 11 without my permission?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will windows 10 update to 11 without my permission?: Does anyone know if windows 10 will trick me into updating to windows 11 as part of typical automatic updates? Or will I need to tell windows I am ok with the update to windows 11?I am really not ready to upgrade yet and I do not want it to happen automatically....Thanks....
  5. Microsoft store installing apps without my permission

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store installing apps without my permission: Good day,Microsoft store installing apps without my permission even when Update apps automatically is tuned off. It just downloaded "Photos Media Engine Add-on" of 93MB and I have limited internet data!Any advice to stop this from happening?Fran...
  6. What with all the apps in my taskbar Windows installed without my permission?

What with all the apps in my taskbar Windows installed without my permission?: What the hell Microsoft?I tolerated the intrusive addition of the Cortana app to my task bar, which I can neither uninstall from my system or remove from my task bar, but now there's this "news" app also??Why do I even need to go to the trouble of complaining about this? How...
  7. Windows 10 "uninstalls" apps or tools without my permission.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 "uninstalls" apps or tools without my permission.: This has been happening for 3 days, every day an App "uninstalls itself" (Windows only deletes the .exe file) this is very uncomfortable to me, on tuesday it was Twitch (I don't use it very often), yesterday it was PUBG LITE, and today it was my browser (Opera GX) it is not...
  8. How Can I Stop Windows 10 from Rebooting Without my Permission?

How Can I Stop Windows 10 from Rebooting Without my Permission?: This is the second time in a few days that Windows 10 has rebooted itself --for a virus definition update of all things... totally wiped out my working setup.. I had several open projects and a LINUX session in a VM. All that's wiped out. I need to find a way to stop Windows...
  9. Windows 10 uninstalling apps without my permission

Windows 10 uninstalling apps without my permission: Hi. I am a CS student and there are several apps I need installed on my PC (even if they are not compatible with it or slow it down). Just now I have found out Windows 10 silently uninstalled Meld and Visual Studio Code without my knowledge, let alone my permission. I've read...
  10. Apps getting Installed Without my Permission

Apps getting Installed Without my Permission: This is really getting on my nerves that Windows 10 installs apps which I do not need without my permission. For example, I just noticed that an app called PowerBI just appeared on my Start Menu without me telling it to install it. This is just annoying and rude so to...