Windows 10: Windows is used by over 1 billion users according to Microsoft

Discus and support Windows is used by over 1 billion users according to Microsoft in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It does not happen very often that Microsoft provides information on the number of devices or users of its Windows operating systems or other products.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 27, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows is used by over 1 billion users according to Microsoft

It does not happen very often that Microsoft provides information on the number of devices or users of its Windows operating systems or other products.

Yesterday was such a day, as Microsoft revealed that Windows had more than 1 billion users. The post, published on the Windows Developer blog, focuses on performance for the most part. Its title, "Delivering Delightful Performance for More Than One Billion Users Worldwide", and one of the paragraphs in the post claim that Windows has crossed the 1 billion users mark worldwide.

Microsoft writes: "Today, we’re going to give you a behind-the-scenes peek into how performance improvements are delivered! Windows operates at a massive scale – with over one billion users and a rich PC ecosystem, and there are innumerable combinations of usage patterns, key apps, and hardware".

The post focuses on performance, specifically how Microsoft improved performance in various ways. The company boasts that Windows 11 "is the most reliable version of Windows ever", that users see a "6% average reduction in energy consumption" if they follow Microsoft's Energy Recommendation advice, and that Windows 11's time to desktop has been cut by 10% and that the impact of startup apps was reduced by over 50%.

The article offers even more insights. Here are a few highlights:

• Microsoft runs "over one million machine hours of validation" each day.
    • Diagnostic data provides Microsoft with over 2.5 million cabs per day, over 12 million performance traces per year, and over 70.4 billion scenario performance data points per year.
    • The new Microsoft Teams up is two times faster than the old and uses half its resources.
    • Frequently used shell interactions were improved by "as much as 15%".

Microsoft explains that the new boot process improved startup significantly. Engineers cut the startup time of apps by ensuring "that apps the user is trying to interact with are responsive and prioritized" and by reducing contention.

File Explorer, the default file manager of the Windows 11 operating system, has seen improvements as well, according to Microsoft. The company claims that it has improved bulk file deletion operations by up to 67% and improved the launch time of the application as well.

Microsoft attached a long list of performance improvements that it made between the months of February and May 2023 to the post as well. Here is the entire list:

• Taskbar improvements to ensure Taskbar is readily available after logging in
    • Task View performance improvements when devices are under heavy load
    • Improved performance of Windows Notification Service
    • Improved launch time of Quick Settings and Notification Center
    • Reduced threads, dlls, and graphics device count in Explorer
    • Reduced CPU usage of explorer
    • Reduced memory usage of Notification Center
    • Touch keyboard performance improvements
    • Resource usage reductions in multi-user scenarios
    • Reduced voice access and Narrator latency in larger documents
    • Improved voice typing activation time
    • Improved speed of theme changes
    • Reduced size on disk by leveraging features-on-demand via the Store

You can check out the full article here.

Now You: have you noticed any performance improvements recently? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows is used by over 1 billion users according to Microsoft appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 27, 2023
  2. A Guy Win User

Microsoft Expects 1 Billion Windows 10 Devices In 2-3 Years

Source

A Guy, May 27, 2023
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft Expects 1 Billion Windows 10 Devices In 2-3 Years

Source

A Guy

Brink, May 27, 2023
  4. Windows is used by over 1 billion users according to Microsoft

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 27, 2023
Thema:

Windows is used by over 1 billion users according to Microsoft

1. Windows is used by over 1 billion users according to Microsoft - Similar Threads - used billion users

2. Billions upon billions of OpenWith.exe processes...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Billions upon billions of OpenWith.exe processes...: OK, not really billions, but probably like 100+ "OpenWith.exe" processes keep popping up over time. This has been happening since I built my new machine. I don't recall this happening with my previous build and I am at a loss as to why this is happening at all. I've scanned...
  3. Developing for all 1 billion Windows 10 devices and beyond

in Windows 10 News
    Developing for all 1 billion Windows 10 devices and beyond: This year, Microsoft Build 2020 is a digital-only event that we all get to experience from the comfort of our homes. We hope you enjoy learning about the new features and technologies that matter most to you. Today, I will have the privilege of sharing how developers can...
  4. Windows 10: Powering the world with 1 billion monthly active devices

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: Powering the world with 1 billion monthly active devices: [ATTACH] From the launch of Windows 10, our focus was on moving people from having, to choosing, to loving Windows. With the release of every new build of Windows 10, we have seen customer satisfaction improve as we have made fixes and added new capabilities and...
  5. Microsoft investing $1 billion in OpenAI to support AGI

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft investing $1 billion in OpenAI to support AGI: Microsoft Corp. and OpenAI, two companies thinking deeply about the role of AI in the world and how to build secure, trustworthy and ethical AI to serve the public, have partnered to further extend Microsoft Azure’s capabilities in large-scale AI systems. Through this...
  6. Microsoft to acquire GitHub for $7.5 billion

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to acquire GitHub for $7.5 billion: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) View on Twiiter[/quote] [quote] Today, we announced an agreement to acquire GitHub, the world’s leading software development platform. I want to share what this acquisition will mean for our industry and for developers. The era of the...
  7. Microsoft will invest $5 billion in IoT

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will invest $5 billion in IoT: Today, we are announcing that we will invest $5 billion in the Internet of Things over the next four years. The reason we are doing this is simple: Our goal is to give every customer the ability to transform their businesses, and the world at large, with connected solutions....
  8. Microsoft Expects 1 Billion Windows 10 Devices In 2-3 Years

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Expects 1 Billion Windows 10 Devices In 2-3 Years: At its Build developer conference today, Microsoft announced that it expects Windows 10, its forthcoming operating system, to run on 1 billion devices in two to three years. That’s the idea, at least. The goal is reasonable, given the company’s decision to offer Windows 10...
  9. Windows 10 won't hit 1 billion devices by mid-2018

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 won't hit 1 billion devices by mid-2018: A little over a year ago, with much fanfare, Microsoft execs drew a line in the sand, predicting that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. But Microsoft officials conceded today, July 15, that they likely won't make that deadline. My ZDNet...
  10. Microsoft buys LinkedIn for $26.2 billion

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft buys LinkedIn for $26.2 billion: Microsoft buys LinkedIn for $26.2 billion Microsoft is buying social-network vendor LinkedIn for $26.2 billion. [img] Microsoft is buying social-networking site LinkedIn for $26.2 billion, company officials announced June 13. The move fits in with Microsoft's...