Windows 10: Windows Journal crashes after last OS update

Discus and support Windows Journal crashes after last OS update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've always used Windows Journal. After the lastest updates for Windows 10 (and after re-installing Windows Journal as usual), Windows Journal keeps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SamueleMongodi, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Windows Journal crashes after last OS update

I've always used Windows Journal. After the lastest updates for Windows 10 (and after re-installing Windows Journal as usual), Windows Journal keeps crashing after some seconds/minutes.

The error details (from the Event Viewer) are the following:

(sorry, it's in italian, but the names are standard)

Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: journal.exe, versione: 10.0.10586.237, timestamp: 0x57c92a33

Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: mshwLatin.dll, versione: 10.0.18362.1, timestamp: 0xe28ad227

Codice eccezione: 0xc0000005

Offset errore 0x0000000000093b84

ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x2688

Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d552b6d232a287

Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\Program Files\Windows Journal\journal.exe

Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\mshwLatin.dll

ID segnalazione: d00b8331-03e9-43a7-bd7e-fd94d73e811a

Nome completo pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:

ID applicazione relativo al pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:

I tried to reinstall WJ and various "cleaning" procedures, but to no avail. Even with a clean reboot, it happens after a while.

Any clue?

:)

SamueleMongodi, Aug 14, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Old Windows Journal

Hi,

It is possible that Windows Journal was removed from certain versions of the Windows operating system due to corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in article on how you can install Windows Journal on
    versions of Windows from which it was removed.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Windows Journal removal

Hi Gary:

I'm a Program Manager at Microsoft, and I may be able to answer some of your questions.

Windows 10 1511 refers to the version of Windows 10 you are running, which corresponds to the version number 10.0.10586. You can see the version 1511 reported by running winver.exe from the Run dialog (Windows+R) or a command prompt.

KB3161102 is the update which removes Journal from your system You'll know when it has been automatically installed when
    you can no longer run Journal, or you see KB3161102 in your list of installed updates.

The best proactive thing you can do is download and install the KB3161102 package yourself by following the links in the article. After Windows Journal is removed, if needed, you can install the Journal application by following the steps in

KB3162655
    . The Journal application works the same as before, with two differences:

• You will see a warning about opening untrusted Journal files
    • The Journal Note Writer has been removed. It allowed you to “Print to Journal” from other applications.

For information about the security issues with the current version of Journal, you can read the most recent security bulletin we issued for Journal,

MS16-056
    , to get an idea of the type of vulnerabilities we have patched to date. From that bulletin:

For an attack to be successful, this vulnerability requires that a user open a specially crafted Journal file with an affected version of Windows Journal. In an email attack scenario, an attacker could exploit the vulnerability
    by sending a specially crafted Journal file to the user, and then convincing the user to open the file. The update addresses the vulnerability by modifying how Windows Journal parses Journal files.

In other words, if you open Journal files from untrusted sources, you can be exploited. These issues will not impact you if you are using the Journal application from KB3162655.

Lastly, we highly recommend all customers use OneNote moving forward. We are aware that converting existing Journal files to OneNote is difficult, and are investigating how we can make that transition easier for our customers.

Thanks

--Jon, MSFT

Jon Fincher, Aug 14, 2019
  4. Windows Journal crashes after last OS update

Windows Journal functionality issue

Hello Werner,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Before troubleshooting any further from here, I suggest you to check if the latest version of Windows Journal Writer application is installed in your computer.

If it still does not help, I suggest you to check if you to check if running the program in Compatibility mode helps to resolve the issue. Follow the below steps.

• Right–click the icon of the program.

• Click Properties.

• Click Compatibility tab.

• To run the program for a different version of Windows, check the
      Run this program in compatibility mode for box and choose from the list.

• Click Apply.

• Click Ok.

Write to us with the updated information for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows Journal crashes after last OS update

1. Windows Journal crashes after last OS update - Similar Threads - Journal crashes last

2. Windows Calendar crashes after last update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Calendar crashes after last update.: The Windows Calendar now crashes when I try to open it. It just got updated from the Windows Store yesterday. This was when it started to happen. Any recommendations on how to fix it?...
  3. Windows Calendar crashes after last update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Calendar crashes after last update.: The Windows Calendar now crashes when I try to open it. It just got updated from the Windows Store yesterday. This was when it started to happen. Any recommendations on how to fix it?...
  4. All games are crashing after last Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All games are crashing after last Windows Update: After the last Windows Update all my games are crashing mid-game. Game freezes for 5 seconds then I get a black screen with the mouse cursor and then the game continues normally. This is repeating every 1 to 5 minutes making the gaming experience awful. I also tried to update...
  5. Windows journal

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows journal: Hi, I just want to install windows journal but my PC is saying the administrator has a policy that will not enable it. How do I install it please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-journal/7218734a-6edb-4ddb-81d7-636ff6c8caa9
  6. Photos App crashes after last Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App crashes after last Windows Update: The Windows Photos App has been affected since the last Windows update. If you open a JPG file and click on File Info, the application crashes. Tested with different versions of Windows 10 and different hardware....
  7. All games are crashing after last Windows Update

All games are crashing after last Windows Update: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron Notebook with i7 and AMD Radeon 530. I know I have not the best graphics card in the world but till last week I could easily play some basic games like League of Legends. After the last Windows Update all my games are crashing mid-game. Game...
  8. app crashing after last update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    app crashing after last update: the photos app is not working. it is crashing before opening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-crashing-after-last-update/a5d06eb6-c9df-4800-802f-801fec841c7b
  9. crash after last update

crash after last update: Hello, I allowed Windows to update itself last Saturday but since my PC does not start: black page with circle in dash points turning, turning... Is it possible to create a boot usb key and reach system to allow starting with last conform update? Thanks for return...
  10. windows journal

windows journal: Will windows journal work on windows 10 it was one of the best programs microsoft ever had and as usual they screw it up and come out with a hard to use program we are not all computer geeks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows journal keeps crashing

2. mshwlatin 10.0.18362.1

3. mshwlatin

4. One Note mshwLatin.dll