Windows 10: Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time

Discus and support Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Before July 14th, My PC is able to boot up and get ready to be used under a minute or so generally. My Windows 10 is running off a Samsung Evo NVME... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/XT-248, Jul 18, 2020.

1. /u/XT-248 Win User

Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time

Before July 14th, My PC is able to boot up and get ready to be used under a minute or so generally.

My Windows 10 is running off a Samsung Evo NVME M.2 drive. I have AMD 1700X and 32 GB of RAM and Vega 64.

Now it takes more like 10 min to load desktop icon and app task on taskbar. Even more than that to load all of the various apps.

I have tried to turn off most stuff I could live without at boot up like *brand named* game launcher and not-important apps. It still takes the same length of time to boot up which is bizarre of itself.

This have the unfortunately side-effect of messing up with all different apps and their bootup. So *brand named* firewall will not work at bootup for example.

Does anyone have some idea or stuff to try speed up the boot up back to what it used to be? Is there anyway to look up boot-up logs or something like that to see what is taking so long?

submitted by /u/XT-248
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/XT-248, Jul 18, 2020
  2. Casey-boy Win User

KB4025342 causing extremely long boot time

Hi,

Installed update KB4025342 automatically through Windows Update on July 12. Noticed extremely long boot up times of the order of 10 mins for a laptop that normally gets to desktop in under 1 min. Repeatedly happened over several shut downs and boot ups.

So I uninstalled the update and PC is back to normal. Again, have done several shut downs and boot ups.

Seems like this KB4025342 is the culprit. Wonder if anyone knows how to report this and what I should do now? Wait for different cumulative update or try installing again?

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Casey-boy, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Steve C Win User
    Extremely long and incomplete boot

This may be a long shot. My PC hung at boot yesterday after typing the password - see Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps?

I ran chkdsk c: /spotfix and all is now fine. Someone has also suggested running chkdsk c: /r.

Steve C, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time

Windows 10 slowdown and extremely long boot time

Yesterday a HP ProBook laptop was running fine, with 8GB RAM and Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz CPU.

Today morning, the Windows 10 machine was extremely slow. Windows task bar was not responding. Using some OS features line network manager wasn’t possible. So decided to reboot the machine. After rebooting, the windows got stuck at the loading page.

1. I hard-reset the machine, and used diagnostic tools, but they didn’t show any problem.
    2. Pressing F8 at boot time, i.e. safe mode, led to automatic repair, which would eventually end up in a blank/black screen.
    3. Finally, I rebooted again and waited so long for Windows loading to finish. After some long minutes finally Windows showed login page.

The Windows is still slow, but it is unstable. Opening an application might take more than 2 minutes, maybe 3 or 4 minutes.

This is NOT the first time I run into such slowdowns. I wonder whether this behavior is occasionally expected? How can I prevent such slowdowns?

Laptop has HDD:

Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time Iwwz9.png

UPDATE

Two days later:

Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time WJGNA.jpg

Suddenly, I run into the blue screen. I wait long but it is stuck at 0% Complete. I restart manually. Restart takes maybe 15 to 20 minutes. Then I receive a login screen with no input field for password! I restart again, this time it's faster. I get a login screen WITH a password field. I login and opening any application takes 2 to 3 minutes.

As suggested by the accepted answer, probably I'm going to totally replace this OS =(

UPDATE

It is more than one month since I reinstalled Windows 10 and deleted all the old partitions which were MBR-based and created new GPT partitions. During this period, the new Windows 10 is responsive. I'm satisfied so far Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time :)

user3405291, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time

1. Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time - Similar Threads - July 14th update

2. extremely long updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extremely long updates: My computer runs on an Intel I7 8700 processor with 8 cores and a 3GHz clock rate, yet I'm seeing updates for Windows 11 Home that take what I think are excessively long times, of the order of 30 minutes or more. Is this unusual?...
  3. extremely long updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    extremely long updates: My computer runs on an Intel I7 8700 processor with 8 cores and a 3GHz clock rate, yet I'm seeing updates for Windows 11 Home that take what I think are excessively long times, of the order of 30 minutes or more. Is this unusual?...
  4. Win 10 HP laptop extremely long boot time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 HP laptop extremely long boot time: I am trying to troubleshoot my daughters less than 1 year old HP gaming laptops looooong boot time 10 min +. It started this behavior 1 or 2 months ago while at college. It is a windows 10 machine, fast start is not selected, it has been virus and malware scanned,...
  5. July 14th update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    July 14th update: Both My desktop and my laptop computers stopped working after the july 14th update. Same build on both Windows 10 machines . Both boot to the login screen. After i login i get an error that says a file is missing. Then a black screen. Can not do anything but force it to shut...
  6. Cumulative updates - July 14th 2020

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cumulative updates - July 14th 2020: This is a summary of the cumulative updates released on July 14th for all the supported consumer releases of Windows 10. Windows 10 2004 -KB4565503 Build 19041.388 Windows 10 1903 and 1909 - KB4565483, Build 18362.959 and 18363.959 Windows 10 1809- KB4558998, OS build...
  7. Long Boot Up Time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long Boot Up Time: Help appreciated. Couple days ago, my PC took about 2 minutes or more to boot. Ran malware/Virus scans with no errors. After powering up, I notice that the Blue Windows Logo shows up twice on solid black background, with animated spinning dots (CW), then thereafter that goes...
  8. Extremely long and incomplete boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Extremely long and incomplete boot: Greetings. My PC was working fine until yesterday. Today upon boot, it hung on the login screen (no password required) for about 25 seconds, displaying "preparing windows." When the desktop appeared, it was incomplete, as was the start menu. My sense is that programs that run...
  9. Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All: I have a Sony All-In-One (Model SVL241290X also known as SVL241A11L) computer loaded with Windows 10 Home. Since the later part of Nov; early Dec, I have been experiencing extremely long boot times. We’re talking in the neighborhood of several hours and sometimes it doesn’t...
  10. This Week on Windows July 14th 2017

in Windows 10 News
    This Week on Windows July 14th 2017: We hope you enjoyed today’s episode of This Week on Windows! Head over here for all the news from Inspire 2017, read our Windows 10 Tip on how to get started viewing and streaming with Mixer – or, keep reading for what’s new in the Windows Store. PCMxC223sdE Read...