Windows 10: Windows just randomly crashed on me and forced an update that could not be completed

Discus and support Windows just randomly crashed on me and forced an update that could not be completed in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just got a new laptop and was playing a game on it and in the middle of said game, my entire system crashed and it forced me into a windows update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/oathakafaze, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Windows just randomly crashed on me and forced an update that could not be completed

I just got a new laptop and was playing a game on it and in the middle of said game, my entire system crashed and it forced me into a windows update where I waited super long and eventually it went to Unable to complete updates. Undoing changes don't turn off the pc. Eventually it just put me back into the login screen and then I checked for updates and it said my windows is up to date.......... This is extremely frustrating.

submitted by /u/oathakafaze
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/oathakafaze, Feb 21, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows just randomly crashed on me and forced an update that could not be completed :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Feb 21, 2020
  3. Naby Win User
    10 Crashing Randomly and During Updates and File Downloads

This is a re-post from here.

I have a Windows 10 PC that I run 24/7. I have Windows Updates disabled through the Group Policy Editor. I still perform updates manually every few days. Windows Defender updates work fine. Other Windows updates cause the PC to crash, no BSOD or anything, it just turns off. I've looked for 1074, 6006, and 6008 event log files to explain why and I haven't been able to find anything.

Other times the computer just randomly crashes and also sometimes when downloading files. The symptom is the same, I check on it and find it powered down or it just shuts off while I'm using it. It boots back up fine and I see no cause listed in the event logs.

I have been through the 3 tests suggested to me on the old thread. SMART looked good, memtest ran for 33 hours for 8 passes with no errors, and prime was run for 3 hours with no errors.

I think the next step was to run V2 Log collector, that data is attached.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

4. peach1971 Win User

Windows just randomly crashed on me and forced an update that could not be completed

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Feb 21, 2020
Thema:

Windows just randomly crashed on me and forced an update that could not be completed

1. Windows just randomly crashed on me and forced an update that could not be completed - Similar Threads - randomly crashed forced

2. Windows 11 update will not complete, It just keeps telling me to retry.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update will not complete, It just keeps telling me to retry.: 2023-05 Cumulative update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5026372. I also have another problem that may be linked to this, which is whenever my computer first turns on it scans my storage for errors every time....
  3. Windows 11 update will not complete, It just keeps telling me to retry.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 update will not complete, It just keeps telling me to retry.: 2023-05 Cumulative update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5026372. I also have another problem that may be linked to this, which is whenever my computer first turns on it scans my storage for errors every time....
  4. Laptop just randomly crashing

Laptop just randomly crashing: Hi,My laptop just randomly crashes every time I do heavy tasks on it eg browing the internet and doing things on photoshop. Its a fairly strong machine, rtx 2060 so I dont know why this is happening. I'm on windows 10Heres my recent DUMP file:...
  5. Laptop just randomly crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop just randomly crashing: Hi,My laptop just randomly crashes every time I do heavy tasks on it eg browing the internet and doing things on photoshop. Its a fairly strong machine, rtx 2060 so I dont know why this is happening. I'm on windows 10Heres my recent DUMP file:...
  6. Windows update could not be completed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update could not be completed: I can't install updates on my computer KB5005565 error 0x800f0831 please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-could-not-be-completed/edbe9059-7c34-4855-b63e-1e040e3c960b
  7. Windows update could not be completed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update could not be completed: I can't install updates on my computer KB5005565 error 0x800f0831 please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-could-not-be-completed/edbe9059-7c34-4855-b63e-1e040e3c960b
  8. Windows update could not be completed

9. Windows 10 could not complete updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 could not complete updates: Hi I'm getting this message after it has restarted - "Windows 10 could not complete updates", Update I'm installing: July 24, 2018—KB4340917 (OS Build 17134.191) I have installed the standalone package also, but it didnt work. Everytime, windows would say restart to...
  10. Windows 10 completely different after latest update, is it just me?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 completely different after latest update, is it just me?: Edit: Although I received a message of "Updates were successfully installed" right after I opened my computer to all these changes on 8/23, the last update registered is for 8/20 (I did use my computer between these dates), so it may not be an update issue, but those updates...