Windows 10: Windows keep changing my WiFi profile to Public

Discus and support Windows keep changing my WiFi profile to Public in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I've been having a problem for last few weeks maybe longer with my wifi disconnecting every 10 minutes for a few seconds. I thought it is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SzymonKonsek, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Windows keep changing my WiFi profile to Public

Hello,

I've been having a problem for last few weeks maybe longer with my wifi disconnecting every 10 minutes for a few seconds. I thought it is the fault of my new phone, since I'm connecting to its Wi-Fi hotspot, but after a lot of troubleshooting it turned out to be a dead end.

However I read somewhere that Windows 10 after certain update keeps disconnecting Public networks every 10 minutes or so. Well I checked and and network was set to public although I remembered setting it to private at the beginning. I set it back to private and logged into a game. After 10 minutes, right on the clock, internet disconnects again. After I have finished the game I checked settings again and it was set to Public!

I tried evertyhing I could, forgetting the network and logging again, resetting Wifi adapters to default, deleting every wifi network via command prompt, turning off Windows Security Defender and Windows is still changing my network to Public, which I believe casues periodic disconnect.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Except maybe total recovery, which I doubt will fix the issue anyway.

Regards

:)

SzymonKonsek, Mar 23, 2019

2. Can't connect to certain public WiFi.

Hi,

To better assist you with the public WiFi connection issue, please answer the following questions:

• Which Windows version is currently running on your phone?
    • Are you able to connect your phone to other public WiFi hotspot?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Regards.

Rommel Diw, Mar 23, 2019
  3. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Mar 23, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

Windows keep changing my WiFi profile to Public

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Mar 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows keep changing my WiFi profile to Public

1. Windows keep changing my WiFi profile to Public - Similar Threads - keep changing WiFi

2. Public wifi connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public wifi connection: My laptop is not able to connect to public networks despite detecting them...."Do you want your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network?" This is what I see only.please help....
  3. Why are the network profile types public and private incorrectly labeled in the Wifi...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are the network profile types public and private incorrectly labeled in the Wifi...: In Settings -> Network and internet -> [Your wifi network]; the labels for 'Public' and 'Private' are muddled.My settings state:"Public Recommended Your device is not discoverable on the network. Use this in most cases - when connected to a network at home, work, or in a...
  4. Change the WSL network profile from public to private.

Change the WSL network profile from public to private.: using Windows insider build 22463Hi,I had a Problem with WSL a few days ago.I now figured out that the problem was that I had set the Windows firewall to block all connections incomming from a public network. Since this includes the WSL network, I wasnt able to do a DNS...
  5. Changing wifi settings from public to private

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing wifi settings from public to private: I have seen the same question being asked with the same answer that apparently does not exist: I want to change my WiFi connection from public to private. The suggestion I keep seeing is: On the right side of the taskbar, select the Wi-Fi network icon. Under the name of...
  6. How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows: So Everything Ive Googled says go to settings --> network and internet --> Ethernet, then click on the Ethernet network name and change the toggle there. However, When i click on the Ethernet network name , all i get is Metered connection setting. Theres nothing about being...
  7. changing WIFI from public to private

changing WIFI from public to private: win 10 is saying NOT CONNECTED TO NETWORK but I can go to YOUTUBE and every where else except in my own lan I went to settings....where there is supposed to be an option to pick public or private network BUT THE OPTION IS NOT THERE I have researched the internet inclubing...
  8. Cannot change network profile from Public to Private

Cannot change network profile from Public to Private: I have searched and seen numerous posts about the latest builds of Windows 10 removing the easy way to change your network profile from Public to Private, and vice versa. I have tried both the Powershell (Admin) method and the registry change method. With both, the changes do...
  9. wifi keeps switching from private to public

wifi keeps switching from private to public: Hello everyone. I have a strange problem on my laptop (Windows 10 home, ver 1803). My wireless connection worked for a year and a half without any problems, but this morning it suddenly switched from private to public and its name from the right one to "unidentified...
  10. public wifi msftconnnecttest

public wifi msftconnnecttest: Hello I continue to have problems connecting to public wifi sites which require a login page to accept terms. I am redirected automatically (regardless of browser I use) to msftconnecttest/redirect which goes to nowhere. No one seems to be able to help me solve this issue....