Windows 10: Windows keep moving and resizing after monitors wake from sleep

Discus and support Windows keep moving and resizing after monitors wake from sleep in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have dual monitors and every time they wake from sleep, the windows that are open in the second monitor are resized and moved to the primary monitor.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cs342, Mar 23, 2020.

1. /u/cs342 Win User

Windows keep moving and resizing after monitors wake from sleep

I have dual monitors and every time they wake from sleep, the windows that are open in the second monitor are resized and moved to the primary monitor. This is incredibly frustrating because it disrupts my workflow and I have to rearrange my windows every single time I wake my screens. Is there a way to stop this from happening? Both my monitors are DisplayPort btw.

submitted by /u/cs342
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cs342, Mar 23, 2020
  2. 1Dana1 Win User

Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep

This question was asked before but with a different type of monitor. I have an ASUS MG28U. I am running Windows 10 and all updates are current. The problem is that every time I wake my computer from sleep status, all of the open windows will have been
    resized and moved to the upper, left-side corner. Is there a solution for this yet?

1Dana1, Mar 23, 2020
  3. 1Kurgan1 Win User
    W10 Moving Windows to Monitor 1 After Waking.

I run a two monitor setup, got a 1920x1080 main screen and had a 4:3 1280x1024 second monitor for a long time. But finally upgraded my second monitor last week to a 24" 1920x1080 Samsung LED. Scored it for $30, and super happy with it except one thing.

I use my main monitor for gaming. The second monitor holds my Steam Friends List and Steam Chat Windows. As well as Twitch App or Discord. The problem I'm having is since changing the monitor, when I wake the computer back up it moves all windows back to my main monitor. I don't ever let me HDDs sleep, just my screens turn off after a bit. Before the monitor swap it worked fine, nothing moved. After that just the windows move. I didn't change anything else, and icons still stay on screen 2.

But it's frustrating moving those windows back to monitor two every single time I wake the screens. I tried updating video drivers, but it doesn't fix it.

It works fine and remembers when not sleeping. I can move them over, then close the windows and fire them back up and they start on screen two. But once the monitors turn off, back to square one. Any ideas here?

Well, it seems to be some issue with how Display Port works. My 4:3 was running off my DP with a VGA converter. I figured the 1080p would be no different, was using a DP to HDMI adapter. But I guess DP turns off the signal and doesn't know what to do with the windows or something and moves them over the the HDMI monitor (since they must handle sleep differently). Using a DVI to HDMI adapter instead fixed it.

1Kurgan1, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Canzara Win User

Keeps resizing after sleep

Hopefully I can explain this properly.
    I'm having an issue with video. Ever since i upgraded to a gtx 660 ti when returning from sleep the resolution seems to change.
    I keep having to "resize" the desktop slightly.
    Its fine returning from games, or anything else seems to be fine...but everytime my monitor goes into sleep and I wake it, the screen is wrong. Either it will have black bars all the way around the screen, or it will be too large for the screen.
    Its easily fixed using the resize button in the nvidia control panel, but its getting old.

The system was freshly formatted when I upgraded.
    I've tried uninstalling drivers and re-installing using the latest versions to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Canzara, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows keep moving and resizing after monitors wake from sleep - Similar Threads - keep moving resizing

2. Windows 10 resizing and moving open windows after waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 resizing and moving open windows after waking from sleep: Like many others I found this to be a giant pain. Lock your computer or just walk away with programs up and come back to find them small and in the upper left corner.Well, this post by AndrejPirman...
  3. Windows 10 resizing and moving open windows after waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 resizing and moving open windows after waking from sleep: Like many others I found this to be a giant pain. Lock your computer or just walk away with programs up and come back to find them small and in the upper left corner.Well, this post by AndrejPirman...
  4. Windows 10 resizing and moving open windows after waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 resizes and moves my windows after waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 resizes and moves my windows after waking from sleep: Hi, How can I stop my windows and programs from being shifted to the Top Right hand side of my primary monitor after my computer wakes from sleep?SystemDesktop PC, Asus B540 MotherboardRyzen 5 5600x CPUAMD RX6700xt Graphics CardMSI G273Q Monitor Connected via Display Port...
  6. Windows 10 resizes and moves my windows after waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 resizes and moves my windows after waking from sleep: Hi, How can I stop my windows and programs from being shifted to the Top Right hand side of my primary monitor after my computer wakes from sleep?SystemDesktop PC, Asus B540 MotherboardRyzen 5 5600x CPUAMD RX6700xt Graphics CardMSI G273Q Monitor Connected via Display Port...
  7. Windows 10 resizes and moves my windows after waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows are moved & resized after waking up from Sleep Mode.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows are moved & resized after waking up from Sleep Mode.: When I put my computer to sleep with the Sleep button on my Microsoft keyboard, when I wake it up again, the windows are moved & shrunk to half the length of the screen. How can I prevent this?...
  9. Windows move to 3rd monitor after PC wakes from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows move to 3rd monitor after PC wakes from sleep: Hi, I've got 3 monitors connected to my PC. 2 are normal monitors and the 3rd is a TV that sits above my desk visible to the rest of the office. In my display setting they are set up as follows: [ATTACH] Displays 2 & 1 are the displays I use for work applications....
  10. Intel NUC: windows resized after waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Intel NUC: windows resized after waking from sleep: System: Intel NUC 54250WYKH Monitor: Acer T232HL (1920x1080) OS: Windows 10 Pro (clean install) When my NUC wakes from sleep mode, existing windows are sized and positioned as if the display resolution had changed to a much lower value (e.g. 1024x768) during sleep but...