Windows 10: Windows keeps changing default printers

Discus and support Windows keeps changing default printers in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have two session hosts in Azure VDI that I am using for user sessions with FSLogix being utilized for user profiles. I have multiple users whose... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jimamj, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Jimamj Win User

Windows keeps changing default printers

I have two session hosts in Azure VDI that I am using for user sessions with FSLogix being utilized for user profiles. I have multiple users whose default printer keeps changing to a "virtual" printer such as the Adobe PDF printer or a Webex Printer that is installed. This happens randomly and at differing intervals. The printers are hosted on another server and deployed using group policy. Windows is not managing default printers. I have also tried the Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LegacyDefaultPrinterMode key to prevent windows from changing

:)

Jimamj, Dec 6, 2022
  2. Zaki_j Win User

Default Printer keeps changing in Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the default Printer keeps changing after you restart the computer.

1. Did this issue started recently? If yes, then what are the recent changes that you have made to the computer prior to this issue?

Method 1:

I suggest you to try turning off “let Windows manage your default printer” and check if you are still facing the issue. To do so follow the steps below:

Open Start and select Settings
    > Devices > Printers & scanners. Turn off
    Let Windows manage my default printer.

Windows keeps changing default printers e5a5440c-c8d4-4151-bd0b-71150386373f?upload=true.png

If you still have issues, please follow the suggestion in method 2.

Method 2:

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
    registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Please take a backup of the registry. Follow the steps given in the link below:

How to back up and restore
    the registry in Windows

• Open the
      Run
      dialog box by pressing the Windows key and the R key together.
    • Type
      Regedit
      and hit the Enter key.
    • When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

• In the right pane, right click on
      “LegacyDefaultPrinterMode” and click modify to change the value of
      LegacyDefaultPrinterMode from the default 0 to 1.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Try setting you default printer again.

Windows keeps changing default printers 2e34abe8-5655-4809-95c6-a159b665677b?upload=true.png

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Dec 6, 2022
  3. default printer keeps changing in windows 10 despite changes

Hi all,

I have 2 pc's both running windows 10 and 1 of the pc's has 2 printers installed.

The samung printer is default and a zebra thermal printers is the other printer.

The problem i have is that the other network pc which access's the printers keeps changing the default printer.

I have changed the "let windows manage my default printer" settings on both pc's but still it keeps changing the default printer.

Any ideas please as doing my nut in !

Thanks

hullstorage, Dec 6, 2022
  4. Windows keeps changing default printers

default printer keeps change

Hi,

I am using Windows 10. The problem is the default printer keeps change. For example, I set printer A as the default printer. Then I print to printer B. Then the system change my default printer to printer B. It is very strange and the problem is repeatable.

Please advise what could cause the problem.

Thanks,

graceyin39, Dec 6, 2022
Thema:

Windows keeps changing default printers

1. Windows keeps changing default printers - Similar Threads - keeps changing default

2. Windows keeps changing default printers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keeps changing default printers: I have two session hosts in Azure VDI that I am using for user sessions with FSLogix being utilized for user profiles. I have multiple users whose default printer keeps changing to a "virtual" printer such as the Adobe PDF printer or a Webex Printer that is installed. This...
  3. Windows keeps changing default printers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows keeps changing default printers: I have two session hosts in Azure VDI that I am using for user sessions with FSLogix being utilized for user profiles. I have multiple users whose default printer keeps changing to a "virtual" printer such as the Adobe PDF printer or a Webex Printer that is installed. This...
  4. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  5. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  6. default printer keeps changing to pdf printer

default printer keeps changing to pdf printer: My default printer is always set to my regular paper printer. Occasionally when I 'print to pdf' windows 10 keeps changing my default printer to the pdf and I have to manually go back to the settings and change it to my preferred printer.The 'let windows manage my default...
  7. Default Printer keeps changing

Default Printer keeps changing: it seems whenever i use a PDF printer like Microsoft Print to PDF or PDF Factory, my default printer changes to that PDF printer even though i have the option to let windows select the printer set to off. Is there a way to stop this?...
  8. Default Printer keeps changing in Windows 10

Default Printer keeps changing in Windows 10: We have two usb printers connected DTC1250E and DCP 132W As long as they are connected in that order . Then we can set the DCP132W to the default printer and the muster report runs to it . ie right click on a note pad file and it prints to the DC)132W We can log off and...
  9. My Default Printer keeps changing

My Default Printer keeps changing: I have a default printer which is a network printer for 99% of my printing. However, I do use a local printer when printing checks. I have the default set to the network printer and that is what I have set for the past several years through Windows 7 and now with my...
  10. default printer keeps changing in windows 10 despite changes

default printer keeps changing in windows 10 despite changes: Hi all, I have 2 pc's both running windows 10 and 1 of the pc's has 2 printers installed. The samung printer is default and a zebra thermal printers is the other printer. The problem i have is that the other network pc which access's the printers keeps changing the...