Windows 10: windows keeps changing refresh rate of the display for certain applications

Discus and support windows keeps changing refresh rate of the display for certain applications in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have this happen to me on multiple machines running windows 10, when i would use windows 8.1 or 7. It cant be a driver issue because it happens when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ColinHirosky, Jul 26, 2019.

1. windows keeps changing refresh rate of the display for certain applications

I have this happen to me on multiple machines running windows 10, when i would use windows 8.1 or 7. It cant be a driver issue because it happens when i use an AMD or nvidia gpu so im convinced that it has to be something with the windows 10 framework with displays. I have a 144hz display and it gets annoying when the display is set to run at 144hz and when i open an application like spotify(happens the most on spotify) it goes down to something like 48hz. If anyone has a solution please tell me!

:)

ColinHirosky, Jul 26, 2019

2. Refresh rate Problem

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Screen refresh rate is the rate at which the data displayed on screen is refreshed; it may be an image or some text document. Most of the users would like to set it to a higher rate but this also depends on the capacity of graphic
    card and monitors. If the refresh rate is slow, the images on the display looks as flickering to the user eye and makes it uncomfortable to work.

Nowadays the latest monitors available in market will have minimum 60 Hz of refresh rate and it is very good option to set it to 70 Hz if you your monitor is compatible. Normally a high performance or quality monitors can reach
    120 Hz of refresh rate. So I would suggest you to set your monitor refresh rate as higher as possible, below given steps describes how to access this feature on your Windows 8.1/10 PC.

• The default refresh rate setting is 60 Hertz (HZ); however, your monitor may support a higher setting. Check your manufacturer's documentation for information about the settings that your monitor supports.
    • If you use a higher refresh rate, you can reduce the rate that your screen flickers; however, if you specify a refresh rate that is too high for your monitor, your screen may become unusable and your hardware may be damaged.
    • Changes to the refresh rate affect all users that log on to the computer.
    I would, as of now, suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's support website and install the latest display and chipset drivers available for the latest operating system (currently it would be 8.1 in the list).

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Jul 26, 2019
  3. MilkyWay Win User
    Where are the resolution/refresh rate settings in AMD Crimson?

Having to use Windows display settings manager to change resolution. Advanced display settings shows the resolution but to change refresh rate i have to go to display adapter properties!

It's just a longer step than it being right there one click away in CCC. Not only that but CCC is still there in Crimson if you use the advanced settings.

MilkyWay, Jul 26, 2019
  4. windows keeps changing refresh rate of the display for certain applications

How to set default refresh rate

I've no control in the resolutions dropdown, and of course I can select the exact mode I want from List all modes.

But what I'm trying to accomplish is for Windows to recognize 60hz as the default refresh rate when changing resolutions (when I'm not specifying the refresh rate).

That comes in handy when running applications (mostly games) which let you select resolutions but not refresh rates. And yes, those applications do support the resolution/60hz combination I want for them.

So that's why this thread is titled "How to set a default refresh rate". If it's no possible, then so be it. But I could swear that before the Windows Creator's update, changing resolutions didn't lower my refresh rate.

sauronnikko, Jul 26, 2019
Thema:

windows keeps changing refresh rate of the display for certain applications

1. windows keeps changing refresh rate of the display for certain applications - Similar Threads - keeps changing refresh

2. Display Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display Refresh Rate: My laptop screen was said to go up to 165 hz. However, I am unable to change it in the Windows settings. It is only able to go to 60 and 40 hz. My laptop has a AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics and a discrete Nvidia RTX 3050 ti laptop gpu. When going into the Nvidia...
  3. Display Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display Refresh Rate: My laptop screen was said to go up to 165 hz. However, I am unable to change it in the Windows settings. It is only able to go to 60 and 40 hz. My laptop has a AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics and a discrete Nvidia RTX 3050 ti laptop gpu. When going into the Nvidia...
  4. Display Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Refresh Rates Do Not Display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Refresh Rates Do Not Display: I am currently on Windows 10 system, and I am trying to lower my screen refresh rate to a lower number to run an older system that does not support above 60Hz. I understand perfectly fine how to change it; go to Display settings, Advanced Display Settings, and scroll down to...
  6. Display refresh rate not changing

Display refresh rate not changing: Hello, I am using the latest Windows 10 Home Single Language build for my ASUS TUF FX505DT ver: 20H2, build: 19042.906. My display is capable of upto 1920*1080 @120 Hz, and the default refresh rate options are 48 Hz and 120 Hz. I always switch to the choppy 48 Hz on battery...
  7. Monitor Refresh Rate Keep changes from 144 Refresh rate to 60 Refresh rate after running a...

Monitor Refresh Rate Keep changes from 144 Refresh rate to 60 Refresh rate after running a...: Monitor Refresh Rate Keep changes from 144 Refresh rate to 60 Refresh rate after running CS:GO, I've set it to 144 Refresh rate in nvidia Control Panel it keeps changing back to 60 Refresh rate same thing in Advanced Display Settings changing it to 144 Refresh rate it does...
  8. refresh rate on screen display

refresh rate on screen display: how do I to turn off on-screen intel refresh rate number at top left of screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refresh-rate-on-screen-display/7d038e48-7150-44fa-acb4-f9e4216ec5e8
  9. Script to change display refresh rate

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Script to change display refresh rate: Hi there, I'd like to know if someone knows a script or tool that I can use to automatically change the refresh rate in windows display settings to 75Hz when a specific program launches and then when that program closes it reverts to 60Hz Kind regards 105694
  10. Change Screen Refresh Rate of Display in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Screen Refresh Rate of Display in Windows 10: How to: Change Screen Refresh Rate of Display in Windows 10 How to Change Screen Refresh Rate of a Display in Windows 10 The refresh rate is the number of frames per second your monitor can display. Hertz frequency is used as the measurement at which the screen is...