Windows 10: Windows keeps changing the multiple displays option from extend to show only on 2

Discus and support Windows keeps changing the multiple displays option from extend to show only on 2 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am asking this question again because the previous microsft helper's response was useless. I have recently plugged a secondary monitor into my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sam the guy, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Windows keeps changing the multiple displays option from extend to show only on 2

I am asking this question again because the previous microsft helper's response was useless.

I have recently plugged a secondary monitor into my laptop, i want it to extend the display - so i chose "extend", but it never saves this choice. My computer will go to sleep and when i wake it the setting will be changed to "show only on display 2". This has gotten very annoying as i expect windows 10 to be capable of saving a simple display choice and not automatically change it.

I do consider myself an experienced windows 10 user, so i doubt updating a driver or turning my system on and off again will fix it. I need a permanent fix like editing the registry to actually save what i change the setting to.

:)

Sam the guy, Jan 7, 2019
  2. Ariel Acu Win User

Display setting reverts to "Duplicate" instead of staying at "Second Screen Only" after sleep on Windows 10

Hi Sarah,

To better assist you, kindly please provide the following information:

• When does the issue start?
    • Is your laptop runs the latest Windows update?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Meanwhile, we recommend that you change the Multiple displays and set it to "Extended these displays", then perform the following steps:

• Click monitor 1, then check if it was marked as "Make this my main display".
    • If monitor 1 is set as the main display, click monitor 2 and you will see that "Make this main display" option is available to mark.
    • Set monitor as the main display, then change Multiple display to "Show only on 2".
    • Click Apply, then Keep Changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Ariel Acu, Jan 7, 2019
  3. Multiple display resizing

Hi,

Thank you posting on Microsoft Community.

We understand that you are facing an issue with the extending the display on multiple desktops.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Are you using multiple monitors to extend the display or using the multiple desktop screens on a single monitor?
    I would suggest you some steps which you can try resolving this issue.

Follow these steps to update graphics drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.

• Search for Display Adapters and expand it.

• Right click on the graphics driver and select Update driver software.
    Uninstall and Reinstall the graphics card drivers and check.

Refer:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Note: If you are using the multiple monitors to extend the display then please make sure the resolution of both the monitors are set equally same so that there is no issues with the size or any program or an app.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin V Rao, Jan 7, 2019
  4. Windows keeps changing the multiple displays option from extend to show only on 2

Multiple Displays - keep switching between extend and duplicate on their own

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This seems like a Display driver issue, hence I'd recommend you to download and install the most recent display drivers from the manufacturer's website.

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall display drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps:

Step 1: Uninstall the Display driver from Device Manager.

Follow the steps to uninstall the Display driver.

• Press Windows Key + X and then click Device Manger.
    • Search for Display Adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapters and select Uninstall.
    • Follow the prompt and restart the computer.
    Step 2: Install the Display driver in compatibility mode:

a. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select
    Properties

b. Select Compatibility Tab

c. Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode
    and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list

d. Let the driver to install and then check the functionality.

For reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance related to Windows, we will be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Mohammed Yaseer, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows keeps changing the multiple displays option from extend to show only on 2

1. Windows keeps changing the multiple displays option from extend to show only on 2 - Similar Threads - keeps changing multiple

2. Going from extend these displays to show only on 2 reset settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Going from extend these displays to show only on 2 reset settings: I have been trying to use my laptop on my tv to play games, wanted to use the high refesh rate avaliabe it is supported by my tv LG oled C2. i went to the advance setting once while i had it set to "show only on 2" and tried to change the frame rate under the display setting...
  3. Going from extend these displays to show only on 2 reset settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Going from extend these displays to show only on 2 reset settings: I have been trying to use my laptop on my tv to play games, wanted to use the high refesh rate avaliabe it is supported by my tv LG oled C2. i went to the advance setting once while i had it set to "show only on 2" and tried to change the frame rate under the display setting...
  4. How to change show only display 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change show only display 2: I had two moniters in which one i had not used and wanted to use it with my main computer so i bought a vga cable and connected it in the begening it was ok because it was on default extend these display . Next day i set it on only show display 2 and turned off my main...
  5. How to change show only display 2

How to change show only display 2: I had two moniters in which one i had not used and wanted to use it with my main computer so i bought a vga cable and connected it in the begening it was ok because it was on default extend these display . Next day i set it on only show display 2 and turned off my main...
  6. Multiple Displays "Extend these displays" option not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Displays "Extend these displays" option not showing: Hi,I have a Windows 7 laptop.I connected it to an external monitor/screen using VGA.However, when I go to Control Panel, I do not see the "Extend these display" option in the drop-down menu under "multiple displays".The only options are: Duplicate displays, show desktop only...
  7. Multiple Displays "Extend these displays" option not showing

Multiple Displays "Extend these displays" option not showing: Hi,I have a Windows 7 laptop.I connected it to an external monitor/screen using VGA.However, when I go to Control Panel, I do not see the "Extend these display" option in the drop-down menu under "multiple displays".The only options are: Duplicate displays, show desktop only...
  8. Multiple Displays "Extend these displays" option not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Displays "Extend these displays" option not showing: Hi all,I have a Windows 7 laptop.I connected it to an external monitor/screen using VGA. However, when I go to Control Panel, I do not see the "Extend these display" option in the drop-down menu under "multiple displays".The only options are: Duplicate displays, show desktop...
  9. Multiple Displays "Extend these displays" option not showing

Multiple Displays "Extend these displays" option not showing: Hi all,I have a Windows 7 laptop.I connected it to an external monitor/screen using VGA. However, when I go to Control Panel, I do not see the "Extend these display" option in the drop-down menu under "multiple displays".The only options are: Duplicate displays, show desktop...
  10. Multiple displays "Show only on 2" not working (at times)

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multiple displays "Show only on 2" not working (at times): I'm using my Dell Inspiron 64 bit laptop as a base station mostly, except when I go out of town. That's when I lug it with me. Attached is a ViewSonic display, and a Microsoft "natural" keyboard. Yes, I'd like the large display to be my main (and only) one but on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 11 keeps revferting to show only on 1