Windows 10: Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

Discus and support Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, TL;DR: After building a new PC and installing Windows 10, the system freezes for 20-60s with a brief black screen at the end after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MaxLampe, Dec 29, 2020.

1. MaxLampe Win User

Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

Hello everyone,

TL;DR: After building a new PC and installing Windows 10, the system freezes for 20-60s with a brief black screen at the end after every 5-10 seconds of "normal" usability. Needless to say, the system is not usable like this. I've tried many things and I cannot even pin-point the source hardware or software of the issue.

As mentioned above, Windows runs fine for a 5-10 seconds and then all mouse / keyboard input is ignored mouse can still be moved for another 5 seconds followed by a complete freeze for 30-40s. At the end is a brief black screen, after which everything is fine again for another 5-10 seconds. Then the cycle repeats. No suspicious activities in the task manager.

Due to my efforts below, the only causes I can think of are an issue with the very old graphics card or maybe an issue with the CPU and SSDs? I am lost, to be honest.

Below are my hardware configurations and the things I've tried so far. I would be more than thankful for any help or even idea that I could try.
    Best regards!

Hardware all new except old GPU form 2012

Motherboard: ASUS B450-F ROG STRIX
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
    RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8TB

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 660

SSD: WD Blue M.2 SSD 2280 1TB

PSU: Corsair RM550x

History/Tried fix and result:

• Issue appeared during windows setup before first desktop, after resolution went up during the windows set-up process.
    • Get all Windows Updates - did not solve the issue
    • Get AMD update via ASUS Grid software - did not solve the issue
    • Activate Windows 10 and run updates again - did not solve the issue
    • Rung RAM Test normal settings: 2 Tests - Passed successfully
    • Getting WDC Dashboard for SSD status /driver - Everything fine. However, sometimes, during loading of the program, the freeze etc. is triggered and the program remains blank afterwards as it seems to be unable to load the SSD data
    • Getting Nvidia experience program for latest driver - did not solve the issue
    • BIOS update on ASUS Board - did not solve the issue

• Checked compatibility of M.2 SSD with mother board. Should be fine.
    • Checked slots for RAM in motherboard again and mechanical issues everything plugged in tightly etc overall.
    • Changing power plan in settings to not suspend the drive - setting value from 30min to 240min found that in a forum - did not solve the issue

• Rebooted without mouse and keyboard plugged in i.e. without USB devices plugged in - did not solve the issue
    • Using an older 750W Power supply - did not solve the issue
    • During one of the many trips to the UEFI, I tried the auto-tune i.e. automated overclocking settings of CPU and RAM. The SSD was not found afterwards, and I had to revert to default settings. Maybe hinting to an issue with CPU and SSD?
    • Removing and installing the SSD completely - did not solve the issue
    • Using an older SSD Crucial 128GB, reinstalling Windows - issue there again, however, not during Windows setup stayed in low resolution. Started happening on desktop on automated full resolution immediately again.

• The following was tried on the old SSD and hence all above steps new drivers etc. are not yet installed!
    • Via reg file, add AHCI link power management settings option to power settings in order to turn off LPM found that in a forum - did not solve the issue
    • Lowered resolution to 800x600 - did not solve the issue
    • Removed graphics card driver to use windows graphic driver - did not solve the issue I am not sure if I did that right though, as it reverted to some sort of Nvidia driver after all

Thank you in advance for everybody who reads this. I hope I was detailed enough.
    Best regards,
    Max

:)

MaxLampe, Dec 29, 2020
  2. Srimadhwa B, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Screen keeps going black for a second

Hi Bob,

This issue may have occurred due to several reasons. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• When does your screen goes black, is it during startup, or while opening an application?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have?
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Kindly get back to us so we assist you accordingly.

Xylee Del, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

Computer will let me log in then freezes and screens go black after a couple seconds

As the title says the computer will boot up fine and let me login once in my desktop after like 5-10 seconds it freezes and my screens go black. Please help me out with this.

AthanAsbeck, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

1. Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds - Similar Threads - keeps Freezing Black

2. Windows boots with black screen every couple of weeks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows boots with black screen every couple of weeks: Every couple of weeks my Windows will boot with a black screen.The solution is to boot it to safe mode, roll back the graphics display driver and then update it and then boot again and problem solved for a couple of more weeks.I have AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT with the latest...
  3. Windows boots with black screen every couple of weeks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows boots with black screen every couple of weeks: Every couple of weeks my Windows will boot with a black screen.The solution is to boot it to safe mode, roll back the graphics display driver and then update it and then boot again and problem solved for a couple of more weeks.I have AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT with the latest...
  4. Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds: Hello everyone, TL;DR: After building a new PC and installing Windows 10, the system freezes for 20-60s with a brief black screen at the end after every 5-10 seconds of "normal" usability. Needless to say, the system is not usable like this. I've tried many things and I...
  5. Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps Freezing + Black screen every couple of seconds: TL;DR: After building a new PC and installing Windows 10, the system freezes for 20-60s with a brief black screen at the end after every 5-10 seconds of "normal" usability. Needless to say, the system is not usable like this. I've tried many things and I cannot even pin-point...
  6. Mouse freezes for ~half a second every couple seconds.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mouse freezes for ~half a second every couple seconds.: This issue has been bugging me ever since a couple of weeks ago when I added another graphics card to my PC. I did not install any drivers for it and I actually removed it about a week ago and it did not fix the problem. I've updated my graphics card drivers, then rolled them...
  7. Computer freezes for a couple of seconds

Computer freezes for a couple of seconds: My computer freezes for a couple of seconds and then keeps working. Disk C shows spikes but I've scanned for problems and the disk is perfectly fine. I've already did a factory reset to my windows and still has the same problem. [ATTACH]...
  8. My screen keeps going black for a couple of seconds

My screen keeps going black for a couple of seconds: As in title - every few minutes the screen goes black for a second or two regardless of whether I'm on the Internet or not - very annoying!...
  9. Steam LEGO games keep freezing every couple of seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam LEGO games keep freezing every couple of seconds: Hello, I recently purchased LEGO Jurassic World from Steam. On one computer, it runs perfectly fine; but on another computer, which runs games far better, it freezes every couple of seconds. The computer runs other games without any difficulty at all, but when it runs LEGO...
  10. Black screen and then a couple of seconds video delay....?

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen and then a couple of seconds video delay....?: My laptop screen blanks every 15 minutes or so.... I can then bring it back with a touch to the mousepad. I did a W8> W10 upgrade and everything else seems to work okay. I did have to re-install the internal wireless adapter, but otherwise and excellent upgrade....