Windows 10: Windows keeps randomly having issues loading thumbnails / icons, and general Explorer.exe...

Discus and support Windows keeps randomly having issues loading thumbnails / icons, and general Explorer.exe... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; https://i.imgur.com/cfHLVF7.png At some point during the day, Windows will just start glitching out like this and not loading any thumbnails for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NostalgiaSchmaltz, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Windows keeps randomly having issues loading thumbnails / icons, and general Explorer.exe...

https://i.imgur.com/cfHLVF7.png

At some point during the day, Windows will just start glitching out like this and not loading any thumbnails for images, or even the proper icons for filetypes. Nothing seems to fix it other than a complete reboot.

Also, trying to open Quick Access or the My Computer page, it just gets stuck loading forever:

https://i.imgur.com/8JkRuej.png

https://i.imgur.com/Dy4oxBw.png

If I use Task Manager to restart explorer.exe, that seems to fix it...for maybe 1 or 2 minutes, before it goes right back to having the same issue. It doesn't truly "fix" until I fully reboot the computer.

Any idea what's going on here? This is pretty bizarre; never had anything like this happen before.

EDIT: Also discovered that trying to use the "Open With >" context menu causes Explorer to entirely freeze up. Like, instantly. As soon as I hover over "Open With", it instantly freezes.

https://i.imgur.com/8kuYUIM.png

submitted by /u/NostalgiaSchmaltz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/NostalgiaSchmaltz, Mar 5, 2021
  2. wanabrar Win User

COM Surrogate using too much CPU, Thumbnail and Icon problem.

Hey guys i've been using Windows 10 for almost a month now, and I'm having some issues with it at the moment. I have too much videos and picture for work, that most thumbnail just won't load or generate.

Issues:
    • Thumbnail not generating
    • This PC/My Computer keeps loading and saying "Working on it" (File Explorer)
    • High CPU usage for COM Surrogate, using 10% of my CPU all the time.

The way to solve it for me at the moment is killing the COM Surrogate process. But I'm looking for a permanent fix, which doesn't involve me killing the process all the time.

Killing the process of COM Surrogate will make:
    • Thumbnail and icon to generate (although sometimes it still doesn't)
    • This PC/My Computer instantly loads properly, without it saying "Working on it"

Any solution guys?

wanabrar, Mar 5, 2021
  3. am13 Win User
    COM Surrogate using too much CPU, Thumbnail and Icon problem.

Your player is incompatible with your system. I just solved this issue by uninstalling 32 bit VLC Player and installing 64 bit version.

am13, Mar 5, 2021
  4. jsmin Win User

Windows keeps randomly having issues loading thumbnails / icons, and general Explorer.exe...

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

Windows keeps randomly having issues loading thumbnails / icons, and general Explorer.exe...

1. Windows keeps randomly having issues loading thumbnails / icons, and general Explorer.exe... - Similar Threads - keeps randomly having

2. Windows Explorer thumbnail issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer thumbnail issues: I have dozens and dozens of PDF and SGV sewing pattern files which I keep organised in folders on Windows Explorer with the image of the garment assigned as cover. For many years, there was no problem with that, but since a couple of years ago, the assigned image of the...
  3. Windows Explorer thumbnail issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer thumbnail issues: I have dozens and dozens of PDF and SGV sewing pattern files which I keep organised in folders on Windows Explorer with the image of the garment assigned as cover. For many years, there was no problem with that, but since a couple of years ago, the assigned image of the...
  4. Windows Explorer thumbnail issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Explorer randomly bugging out and not loading thumbnails

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer randomly bugging out and not loading thumbnails: https://i.imgur.com/cfHLVF7.png Seemingly at random, Windows will just start glitching out like this and not loading any thumbnails for images, or even the proper icons for filetypes. Nothing seems to fix it other than a complete reboot. Also, trying to open Quick Access or...
  6. Thumbnails not loading properly in Windows Explorer

Thumbnails not loading properly in Windows Explorer: Hello, My thumbnails recently haven't been loading properly. I attached some pictures to show what they look like. For some folders, the thumbnails are just blank white pictures, and for other folders, the thumbnails are just blank black spaces. How can I fix this? I...
  7. Thumbnail loading issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnail loading issue: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/HuntersPad [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j54njl/thumbnail_loading_issue/
  8. No image thumbnail in explorer Icons

No image thumbnail in explorer Icons: Image icons shows up as blank dokument, i.e there is no image preview. I have checked that the option "allways show icons, never thumbnail" is not checked. I have used "Cleanmgr" to clean out thumbnails. I have deleted the thumnail cashe. Nothing of this works I have...
  9. File Explorer: Issues loading thumbnails, loading times, and more

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer: Issues loading thumbnails, loading times, and more: I'm having a bizarre problem on my Windows 10 PC. For some reason, lots of image thumbnails won't load (particularly PNG files and AVI files), which is extremely frustrating. Sometimes it shows the file type icon, sometimes a generic file icon, and something literally...
  10. Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer: I'd like them to load faster, what can I do? I've tried this but it didn't help. 66519