Windows 10: Windows Keeps Resetting Folder Settings

Discus and support Windows Keeps Resetting Folder Settings in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have set view type of all folders to 'large icons, and in many folders i have shorted files by either date, date created or date modified. But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ManishKumar_2210, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Windows Keeps Resetting Folder Settings

I have set view type of all folders to 'large icons, and in many folders i have shorted files by either date, date created or date modified. But windows keeps resetting view type of some folders to list and short files by name. For example i have 2 folders names Documents1 and Documents2 both having files shorted by date created. But after a couple of hours/days windows changes short file by to names (ascending).I am using Windows 10, I didn't have this problem in w8.1.

:)

ManishKumar_2210, Oct 7, 2019

2. Folder View and Icon Settings Keep Resetting

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with folder view and icon settings keep resetting in Windows 10 in the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix the issue.

Since you have already tried so many troubleshooting steps, I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

Run inbuilt Hardware & Device troubleshooter

Let’s try running inbuilt Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to get the problem automatically detected and fixed. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed
    correctly.

• Press Windows + W keys on your keyboard to get the search option.

• Type Troubleshooting and click
      Troubleshooting.

• Now click on view all option.

• Click on Hardware and Device and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.
    If the issue persist, I would suggest you to contact the system manufacturer and get the system checked.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Oct 7, 2019
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Windows Keeps Resetting Folder Settings :)

Frogger, Oct 7, 2019
  4. Windows Keeps Resetting Folder Settings

Gripe with Windows 7/Vista

Googled "vista folder view settings".

First hit:

How to Reset Windows Explorer Folder View Settings to Make Vista Remember
    Windows Explorer Folder View settings

If that one doesn't work, there are lots more on the list.

Static~Charge, Oct 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows Keeps Resetting Folder Settings

1. Windows Keeps Resetting Folder Settings - Similar Threads - Keeps Resetting Folder

2. After the recent update, my folder view settings keep resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After the recent update, my folder view settings keep resetting: I always have my folder view set to a specific preference, in terms of order, icon/list view/size, with absolutely no grouping honestly I just find that grouping thing annoying. However, ever since a recent update, every single folder has reset to plain list view, ordered by...
  3. prefetch folder setting resets

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    prefetch folder setting resets: hi,Why is it every night, when I go to open the prefetch folder, it will not open? Have to set to full control every night. The steps are in the screenshot. In the daytimes, no issues....
  4. Power Settings keep resetting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Settings keep resetting: I made this PC a while ago and it keeps having this annoying problem. Whenever i put the PC to sleep or restart it the power settings keep resetting to the AMD Balanced Plan, and even if i change, swap or do anything with that plan it will always revert to its defaults,...
  5. My downloads folder display settings keep resetting.

My downloads folder display settings keep resetting.: No other folders. Just the Downloads folder keeps going back to grouping them by "date modified" and displaying as "details" I want large icons and no grouping. But it resets every time I close the file explorer....
  6. Folders settings keep changing

Folders settings keep changing: Something has happened with Windows 10 folders settings. For example, in Downloads, I grouped the folders by creation date but they are mixed up. Sometimes the icons are of different sizes. Why is it happening?...
  7. Folder settings keep changing

Folder settings keep changing: I'm using Windows 10 and have this problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-settings-keep-changing/f07ac397-5638-4da3-ae16-646179e56ac7"
  8. Windows keeps resetting to factory settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows keeps resetting to factory settings: Windows updated several weeks ago and since then it has reset the desktop to factory setting 4-5 times. All shortcuts are gone, background personalization is lost, ShareFile and Dropbox have to be reconfigured, items added to Quick Access have to be re-added, my desire for...
  9. Cleartype settings keep on resetting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cleartype settings keep on resetting: I am unable to change the default clear type settings. I change the setting an finish the process, the window closes but there are no changes in the text view. The setting reset to the default values everytime I click on finish......
  10. MPC-BE settings keep resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MPC-BE settings keep resetting: i use MPC-BE version 1.5.3 Build 4428 Beta and is there a way to keep it from resetting settings as i use it to watch movies and other videos on it. 127516