Windows 10: Windows keeps telling me my file history backup device is disconnected.

Discus and support Windows keeps telling me my file history backup device is disconnected. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I can't run a file history backup but I can run an windows image backup which I've done. Windows tells me my device is disconnected but it's not. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FredHill2, Oct 4, 2018.

1. FredHill2 Win User

Windows keeps telling me my file history backup device is disconnected.

I can't run a file history backup but I can run an windows image backup which I've done. Windows tells me my device is disconnected but it's not. It also tells me backups run faster on a usb 3.0. I only have 2.0. I don't get it. it's a WD external hard drive, 4tb and the image backup is fine but I want continuous file history backup as well. What's up with this?

:)

FredHill2, Oct 4, 2018

2. File History does not backup automatically

Hi,

Thank you for writing us back.

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

• Press Windows key+I.

• Click on Update and security.

• On the left pane, click on backup and select on under automatically back up my files.

• Click on more option under on button.

• Select every hour (default) under back up my files.

• Select forever (default) under keep my files.

Also refer the link below link and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Also work in Windows 10

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Oct 4, 2018
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    File History

Hi Anastasia,

File History creates a backup of your files automatically and stores the backup on an external hard drive. It might be disconnected for too long that may cause interruption. To address your inquiry, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reconnect your File History drive.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 4, 2018
  4. Windows keeps telling me my file history backup device is disconnected.

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows keeps telling me my file history backup device is disconnected.

1. Windows keeps telling me my file history backup device is disconnected. - Similar Threads - keeps telling file

2. file history backup disconnected too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history backup disconnected too long: error msg "file history backup drive disconnected too long" Cannot re-establish backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup-disconnected-too-long/db0bfb53-f79b-4b2d-8f21-2765adcef4c7
  3. file history backup disconnected too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history backup disconnected too long: error msg "file history backup drive disconnected too long" Cannot re-establish backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup-disconnected-too-long/db0bfb53-f79b-4b2d-8f21-2765adcef4c7
  4. File History keep my backups for one month

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History keep my backups for one month: I have enabled File History and I've selected the option to keep my backups for one month. However I can see from the File History restore feature that I still have multiple backups saved for every day dating back to the 23rd of June, almost 3 months ago.Why isn't File...
  5. File History keep my backups for one month

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History keep my backups for one month: I have enabled File History and I've selected the option to keep my backups for one month. However I can see from the File History restore feature that I still have multiple backups saved for every day dating back to the 23rd of June, almost 3 months ago.Why isn't File...
  6. File History keep my backups for one month

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. File History - "Keep My Backups"

File History - "Keep My Backups": Does File History delete backup files that are older than the "Keep My Backups" setting, even if those files have not changed? Or, does it only delete older files for which more recent versions exist. I assume the former, but I have not found a description of how File...
  8. backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

backup and "file history drive is disconnected": Cannot backup due to "file history drive is disconnected", cannot even manual backup even though File Explorer shows external drive is active. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-file-history-drive-is-disconnected/9cf94ae3-6d24-4a02-9546-45658511b850
  9. File History is not keeping my backups up-to-date

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History is not keeping my backups up-to-date: I'm new to Windows 10. I turned on File History and selected a network device (a NAS) as the destination. I set "Backup my files" to "every hour" and "Keep my backups" to "forever." The backups have been running for several days now. My PC runs at least 12 hours a day, so...
  10. Any way to tell if File History backup is working?

Any way to tell if File History backup is working?: I am trying to keep my files backed up regularly (weekly). First, I cannot set an automatic weekly backup. Secondly, when I set the backup to run I can't tell if it's working (so a few times I've cancelled and started again, probably needlessly. Thirdly, can I sign out of...