Windows 10: Windows keeps wanting to initialise some disks since GPU install

Discus and support Windows keeps wanting to initialise some disks since GPU install in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I built a new PC some months back with mostly new components but with a few HDDs and SSDs from my older build (though some HDDs were quite new anyway)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nomadski, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Nomadski Win User

Windows keeps wanting to initialise some disks since GPU install

I built a new PC some months back with mostly new components but with a few HDDs and SSDs from my older build (though some HDDs were quite new anyway) and had no bother with them.

Finally managed to get a new Nvidia 3080 GPU but after installation I noticed some drives were missing from My Computer. In Manage I was prompted I had to initialise 4 of the 7 drives I have installed. After doing so and formatting them all was well.

Then a few days later after quite a few reboots the same HDDs and SSDs were gone again, and looking at Manage again I was again prompted to initialise (and then format) those same disks.

After doing so I checked the health status on each drive but Windows cannot see any problems with them.

I thought maybe the SATA cables were bad, so I replaced all of them and after initialising again all seemed well. Today I booted and they were there, but when I went into Manage I saw a cross near the same four drives, and looking back at My Computer they were all gone again. Reopening Manage I was again prompted to initialise the disks.

I'm basically stumped now. I thought maybe the extra power draw from the PSU may be an issue, but its a Corsair 850W modular PSU so I would have thought I had plenty of juice to cover everything?

My specs are up to date on this site (basically AMD 3700x CPU, Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 motherboard and 32GB of 3200 RAM), and I'm using Windows build 19042.685.

FTR these are the drive details I have installed with the drive number they have in Windows.

Good Drives (never need initialising)

0. 1TB Sabrent NVME m.2
    1. 2TB Sabrent NVME m.2
    5. 4TB Seagate ST4000DM004 HDD

Bad Drives (always the ones that need initialising)

6. Samsung 850 Pro SSD
    2. Samsung 840 EVO SSD
    3. Seagate 2TB ST3000DM001 HDD
    4. Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001 HDD

For obvious reasons I've avoided putting anything on these 4 drives recently, but I did lose a lot of stuff from the first time I formatted, but that boat has sailed I know.

:)

Nomadski, Jan 13, 2021

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Initialising a disk

Hi Sumit,

Thanks much for replying.

Yes I did format the hard drive before installing Windows in SSD.

If I initialise disk 1, won't it affect the files in SSD drive?

ShreyaGoyal, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Windows keeps wanting to initialise some disks since GPU install

Disk Initialisation

I was advised to go to TechNet, but its solution did not work. Although the drive in question does not exist, I initialised it (GPT selected) as given in the solution and a panel said "The specified disk is not convertable because the size is less than
    the minimum size required for GPT disks". I have added 'DiskPart' below. I am reluctant to initialise using MBR.

I feel I am still at 'square one'

Regards

Julian

Windows keeps wanting to initialise some disks since GPU install db143e56-44c3-4d31-8301-8e7f0aafb0d5.jpg

Julian Grenfell, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Windows keeps wanting to initialise some disks since GPU install

1. Windows keeps wanting to initialise some disks since GPU install - Similar Threads - keeps wanting initialise

2. SSD will not initialise

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD will not initialise: Hello,When I open disk management, I se my C: drive and also my SSD drive which shows as "Not initialised".However, whenever I select the "initialise" option, the screen appears where I have to select the disk and either MBR or GPT, but when I do so and click OK, the screen...
  3. SSD will not initialise

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD will not initialise: Hello,When I open disk management, I se my C: drive and also my SSD drive which shows as "Not initialised".However, whenever I select the "initialise" option, the screen appears where I have to select the disk and either MBR or GPT, but when I do so and click OK, the screen...
  4. Windows Update Wants to Install Wrong GPU Drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Update Wants to Install Wrong GPU Drivers: I recently installed Windows 10. When I installed it the PC had an NVIDIA Quadro K5000. A couple days later I removed the GPU and uninstalled all of the drivers without issue. I replaced the GPU with an NVIDIA RTX 2070, installed the drivers and all was well. But, now Windows...
  5. Windows Update Wants to Install Wrong GPU Drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Wants to Install Wrong GPU Drivers: I recently installed Windows 10. When I installed it the PC had an NVIDIA Quadro K5000. A couple days later I removed the GPU and uninstalled all of the drivers without issue. I replaced the GPU with an NVIDIA RTX 2070, installed the drivers and all was well. But, now Windows...
  6. Windows Update Wants to Install Wrong GPU Drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Not initialised

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Not initialised: Hello I have installed (I think) XP virtual on my Win 10 PC. Should I be able to see it here, please, under My PC: [img] I do get a message to this effect when I click on my Windows XP file: [img] I am not sure how to proceed. Thank you for any advice. Steve 174754
  8. Disk Cannot Be Initialised - Device Isn't Ready

Disk Cannot Be Initialised - Device Isn't Ready: Hi there, I've tried everything under the sun to get this to work but so far nothing has. I have a WD Passport not ssd that is unable to be initialised by every third party software, disk management windows and CMD/powershell. It is listed on disk management but not in...
  9. Initialising a disk

Initialising a disk: Hi, I recently added an SSD drive on my laptop. It's working fine. All my files are stored there. But only one disk is visible on my computer and that's the SSD. I can't locate the second disk. I went to Disk management and Disk 2 , i.e, my system's internal storage is...
  10. Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised

Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised: Hi, I have made a stupid mistake by resetting my windows 10 using the advanced start-up option without any device or disc( just my laptop). Later, I have found that the computer can only recognise my C drive, and when I go to my disk manager, it shows my other drive to be...