Windows 10: Windows key 7 vs 10

Discus and support Windows key 7 vs 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an old laptop that has Windows 7. I also have a Windows 10 on my pc. I want to have a clean install of Windows 10 on laptop because i am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Dumitru Virlan, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Windows key 7 vs 10

I have an old laptop that has Windows 7. I also have a Windows 10 on my pc. I want to have a clean install of Windows 10 on laptop because i am changing the hdd to ssd.If i create a boot disc for windows 10 and install it on the laptop, can i use the windows 7 activation key? if not, do i have to isntal7 and upgrade to 10? is there any other way?

:)

Dumitru Virlan, Jun 29, 2022

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jun 29, 2022
  3. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Jun 29, 2022
  4. ironwolf Win User

Windows key 7 vs 10

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Two quick ways to use your Windows 7 key during the install:

1. When asked for the serial #, put in that Windows 7 serial # and continue on. It should activate as soon as it hits an internet connection.

2. When asked for the serial #, at bottom of window click on the I don't have a serial # text (or whatever it says). It will then ask what version you want to install, ie. Home or Pro. Be sure to install the right version that matches your Windows 7 key. Then once you get into windows you can activate by putting in the key. Some people prefer this method, not sure why honestly. Easier to do #1, since the installer will see your key and know which flavor of Windows 10 you are trying to install.

ironwolf, Jun 29, 2022
Thema:

Windows key 7 vs 10

1. Windows key 7 vs 10 - Similar Threads - key

2. Different activation key by itself. 0xC004003 error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different activation key by itself. 0xC004003 error: For some reason in the past couple days my laptop changes it's windows key by itself where is says XXXXX-XXXXX-... its a different one then what I activated my new windows with about half a year ago. What I mean is every day or not even day, hour, when I log in it says that I...
  3. Different activation key by itself. 0xC004003 error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different activation key by itself. 0xC004003 error: For some reason in the past couple days my laptop changes it's windows key by itself where is says XXXXX-XXXXX-... its a different one then what I activated my new windows with about half a year ago. What I mean is every day or not even day, hour, when I log in it says that I...
  4. How to factory reset laptop without bitlocker recovery key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to factory reset laptop without bitlocker recovery key?: Hello,I'm lock out of using my laptop by bitlocker recovery key. Unfortunately my Microsoft account got disconnected from my laptop and my bitlocker recovery key is no longer accessible through it. I have most of my hings stored therefore the biggest issue is to be able to...
  5. How to factory reset laptop without bitlocker recovery key?

How to factory reset laptop without bitlocker recovery key?: Hello,I'm lock out of using my laptop by bitlocker recovery key. Unfortunately my Microsoft account got disconnected from my laptop and my bitlocker recovery key is no longer accessible through it. I have most of my hings stored therefore the biggest issue is to be able to...
  6. brightness key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    brightness key not working: brightness key is not working and f9 also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brightness-key-not-working/6832a75b-699d-4cd3-8391-4e8a140fbeec
  7. brightness key not working

brightness key not working: brightness key is not working and f9 also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brightness-key-not-working/6832a75b-699d-4cd3-8391-4e8a140fbeec
  8. How to retrieve windows activation key for my new studio 2 laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to retrieve windows activation key for my new studio 2 laptop?: I recently purchased my Microsoft Studio 2 laptop, and when I attempted to dual boot with Linux, I deleted my Windows boot manager. I am now unable to load Windows. May I ask how I may obtain the Windows 11 OEM license key? so that I can reinstall Windows. On the laptop box...
  9. How to retrieve windows activation key for my new studio 2 laptop?

How to retrieve windows activation key for my new studio 2 laptop?: I recently purchased my Microsoft Studio 2 laptop, and when I attempted to dual boot with Linux, I deleted my Windows boot manager. I am now unable to load Windows. May I ask how I may obtain the Windows 11 OEM license key? so that I can reinstall Windows. On the laptop box...
  10. i want my product key that i had forgotten

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want my product key that i had forgotten: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-my-product-key-that-i-had-forgotten/0476df78-8a5b-484e-8e0c-0740d146a941