Windows 10: Windows key function is messed up!

Discus and support Windows key function is messed up! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello tech geniuses, OS: Win 10 Pro x64 Hope you may help! My Windows Key functions have changed for no apparent reason and I find no information... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KosPilot, Aug 24, 2019.

1. KosPilot Win User

Windows key function is messed up!

Hello tech geniuses,

Hope you may help!

My Windows Key functions have changed for no apparent reason and I find no information of how to change it back to default settings.

Example of what I want:

[Windows Key] + [E] = Open Explorer

[Windows Key] + [R] = Run

...And so on, which is default Windows Key operation.

Instead, my OS is now sorting and selecting desktop and menu items starting with the letter selected in combination with the Windows Key.

If I press [Windows Key] + [E] repeatedly while on the desktop, the icon names starting with 'E' are selected one by one (just as if single clicking an icon) and scrolled through in alphabetical order.

I would really like to have back my default Windows Key shortcuts!

Please help!

:)

KosPilot, Aug 24, 2019

2. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Aug 24, 2019
  3. Function Key Not Working

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the F key on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Form when are you facing this issue and have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you performed?

If you are using external keyboard, I suggest you to connect the keyboard to different port and to different computer and check if it is working fine.

This will help us to know if the issue is with port/ computer the keyboard is connected to or the keyboard it self.

If you are using laptop keyboard, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter it
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: Update the keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right click on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Update driver software
    • Restart the computer.

Hope it helps. Try the above and het back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 24, 2019
  4. Windows key function is messed up!

Inverting Function Keys

Hi Daeri,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Are you able to use function keys using on screen keyboard?

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you to try using on screen keyboard and check if you are able to use the functionality of function key.

To open on screen keyboard, type on screen keyboard in the
    search box on the taskbar and select on screen keyboard.

Reply to us with the status of your issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Aug 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows key function is messed up!

1. Windows key function is messed up! - Similar Threads - key function messed

2. Keyboard keys messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard keys messed up: yesterday i was playing a game on my laptop and my keys ''g'' and ''h'' weren't working at all but later they started typing again so i just assumed it was just because of the game but today when i press said keys they either get typed in 2-3x times even tho i press them just...
  3. Keyboard keys messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard keys messed up: yesterday i was playing a game on my laptop and my keys ''g'' and ''h'' weren't working at all but later they started typing again so i just assumed it was just because of the game but today when i press said keys they either get typed in 2-3x times even tho i press them just...
  4. Function keys at start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Function keys at start up: HiI’m just struggling with my function keys. I can’t boot my windows 10 via them certainly safe mode with F4, they are healthy and work while the windows are running....
  5. Function keys at start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Function keys at start up: HiI’m just struggling with my function keys. I can’t boot my windows 10 via them certainly safe mode with F4, they are healthy and work while the windows are running....
  6. Messed up keyboard keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Messed up keyboard keys: I own a Dell Inspiron series laptop. For a few days now, I have been having issues with my keyboard keys. Every time I press the Shift key, it seems to activate many other keys along with it. I am attaching a screenshot from the Laptop Keyboard Tester website to show all...
  7. New windows update messed up my function keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New windows update messed up my function keys: So like other laptops my f1-12 keys are tied to changing things. (F1 mutes volume, F11 dims brightness, ect.) But after my laptop updated last night now to use any of these keys I have to hold the function button to get them to work. Is there a way to change this? Or am I...
  8. Messed up keyboard keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Messed up keyboard keys: On my desktop, my keyboard just started to mess up everything, I can't use the @ anymore, (I'm using the phone for writing) and basically every sign is messed up, how do I fix it? It already happened with my previous laptop but never found a way to fix submitted by...
  9. Key bindings messed up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Key bindings messed up: I had a xbox controller connected to my computer when I installed Fallout 76. Now, my keybindings for the WASD keys have been switched with the arrow keys. Anyone know where I need to go, to switch them back? I tried under the language settings but it did nothing, even when I...
  10. My keyboard keys are messed up...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My keyboard keys are messed up...: Hii... I have a Gamdias Hermes M1 and i'm having an issue where if i press my backspace on that keyboard it types a 5... And Hera is'nt working... I'm now typing with another keyboard, but is there maby a way to clear the memory on my keyboard? I think that hera malfunctioned...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows screen is messed up

2. can a windows update mess up f key functions