Windows 10: Windows key on keyboard is not working, does not show start menu

Discus and support Windows key on keyboard is not working, does not show start menu in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have bought a new Windows 10 Dell Inspiron 13 7391 recently this Dec. 19, 2019, today Dec. 28, 2019 while using my laptop I noticed that when I press... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jian Chantal, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Windows key on keyboard is not working, does not show start menu

I have bought a new Windows 10 Dell Inspiron 13 7391 recently this Dec. 19, 2019, today Dec. 28, 2019 while using my laptop I noticed that when I press the windows key it does not show the start menu and when I use other shortcuts with the windows key it does not respond too. I have searched numerous ways to solve this issue online and on youtube using the windows powershell, binary, etc. but nothing works for me. The toggle keys, filter keys, gaming mode have all been turned off but still it does not work. I have learned that the start menu can be launched by pressing CTRL+ESC however the windows button cannot be utilized anymore for shortcuts. Hoping that anyone could help me with a fast reply especially from the Microsoft team, thank you very much!

:)

Jian Chantal, Dec 27, 2019

2. keyboard alt = start menu

Hey guys I'm having problem with my keyboard on my ducky shine II, whenever I press alt with the windows key disabled it starts showing start menu, it didn't happen before and I'm having problem playing dota 2 whenever I use shortcuts with alt. anyone can help me out?

edit: lol I found a fix. I was turning dip 2 instead of dip 3 when turning off windows key since dip 2 exchange alt and windows key lololol. close thread please.

Cotton_Cup, Dec 27, 2019
  3. Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Dec 27, 2019
  4. #VSingh Win User

Windows key on keyboard is not working, does not show start menu

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

I have tried till the troubleshooter and got this

"Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly.

Now how do install these applications

#VSingh, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows key on keyboard is not working, does not show start menu

1. Windows key on keyboard is not working, does not show start menu - Similar Threads - key keyboard working

2. My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else: Hello there,I am running Windows 11 Home 23H2. I am using a Logitech G815 keyboard. All my apps and Windows are updated regularly. I checked a couple of videos of YouTube for help, but unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same issue. At this very moment, I am typing...
  3. My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else: Hello there,I am running Windows 11 Home 23H2. I am using a Logitech G815 keyboard. All my apps and Windows are updated regularly. I checked a couple of videos of YouTube for help, but unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same issue. At this very moment, I am typing...
  4. Keyboard not working in Windows start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard not working in Windows start menu: Hi,I have the exact same issue as discussed here: Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs - Microsoft CommunityFollowing the instructions in the answer solved it for me, but only temporarily. Is there a way to solve this permanently?Thanks....
  5. Keyboard not working in Windows start menu

Keyboard not working in Windows start menu: Hi,I have the exact same issue as discussed here: Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs - Microsoft CommunityFollowing the instructions in the answer solved it for me, but only temporarily. Is there a way to solve this permanently?Thanks....
  6. My windows logo key will not work. pressing it does nothing. The start menu won't show, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows logo key will not work. pressing it does nothing. The start menu won't show, and...: On my Windows Surface, after a recent update, my system won't complete its boot-up process. My main screen appears, it recognizes me and login proceeds as normal, but no menu bar appears, the windows key is non-functional, but I am able to use the keyboard shortcut to bring...
  7. My windows logo key will not work. pressing it does nothing. The start menu won't show, and...

My windows logo key will not work. pressing it does nothing. The start menu won't show, and...: On my Windows Surface, after a recent update, my system won't complete its boot-up process. My main screen appears, it recognizes me and login proceeds as normal, but no menu bar appears, the windows key is non-functional, but I am able to use the keyboard shortcut to bring...
  8. Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs: Hi there.Recently, the start menu has been unresponsive to keyboard inputs. I cannot enter letters to search items, pressing escape does not exit out of the menu, etc.The mouse is still recognized and usable.This issue occurred out of nowhere. I have not edited any files or...
  9. Start key on keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Start key on keyboard not working: Hi , although my start menu is opening when i click on it with a mouse or touchpad but its not opening when i press start key on my keyboard . I have tried all the solutions like reinstalling the keyboard driver , running sfc/scannow and other stuff , but still it did not...
  10. keyboard's windows or start key is not working

in Cortana
    keyboard's windows or start key is not working: I want to know that why my laptop's keyboard 's window's key is not responding https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboards-windows-or-start-key-is-not-working/132caf12-c373-4db1-9d0a-a849a1dcf612"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shift key does not work windows 10

2. start menu not showing windows key not working