Windows 10: Windows key "recovery" question

Discus and support Windows key "recovery" question in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I bought a HP Elitedesk 800 G1 PC a while ago that the original owner downgraded from Win 8 pro 64 bit to Win 7 pro 32 bit. I then upgraded to Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by busaboyz, Nov 26, 2016.

1. busaboyz Win User

Windows key "recovery" question

I bought a HP Elitedesk 800 G1 PC a while ago that the original owner downgraded from Win 8 pro 64 bit to Win 7 pro 32 bit. I then upgraded to Win 10 during the freebie upgrade period and got stuck with Win 10 pro 32 bit. At the time I thought my only option to get 64 bit was to either buy a Win 10 pro 64 bit key or downgrade to Win 7 64 bit using a spare key I had. I did the latter. I then upgraded to win 10 pro 64 bit.

I tried to "recover" the Win 7 pro 64 bit key by using ShowKeyPlus to identify the original Win 8 pro 64 bit and using the OEM Win 8 key to "re-activate" the install. Unfortunately the PC still shows the Win 7 key as the "Original Key".

The question is it possible to recover my Win 7 pro key?

:)

busaboyz, Nov 26, 2016
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Nov 26, 2016
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Windows key "recovery" question :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Windows key "recovery" question :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Windows key "recovery" question :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Windows key "recovery" question :)

musum, Nov 26, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If you are asking about the Windows 7 Pro 32-bit product key from your first sentence, the answer is no. You erased all traces of it when you installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with a different product key.

BTW: The same product key will work for both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Windows

NavyLCDR, Nov 26, 2016
  5. busaboyz Win User
    Just trying to recover the 2nd Win 7 key I used to downgrade, not the one the original owner used.

I should have added that I originally tried to use the Win 7 key that ProduKey x64 indicated but it didn't work when I tried to activate the new Win 7 pro 64 bit install. So I had to use a spare key.

I realize now I screwed up by not wiping the disk and started a fresh install of Win 10 and then use the Win 8 OEM key. Of course I'm unsure if this would have worked at the time.

busaboyz, Nov 26, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It would probably help to see what exactly showkey is displaying. Click on the product keys to blank them out:

Windows key "recovery" question [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 26, 2016
  7. busaboyz Win User
    Windows key "recovery" question [​IMG]

Here is the info

busaboyz, Nov 27, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

So, you've got a product key for Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8 Pro, and the generic for Windows 10 Pro. You can download ISOs for Windows 7 and Windows 8 here:

Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

You will have to use phone activation for the Windows 7 for sure. Just because it won't activate automatically on line does not mean the product key is no good.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2016
  9. busaboyz Win User
    The question is can I use the Win 7 key for a different PC?

busaboyz, Nov 27, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Oh, good point. It's OEM, so it isn't supposed to be moved from the first computer installed on per the User's Agreement.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows key "recovery" question - Similar Threads - key recovery question

2. Windows Recovery Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Recovery Question: I've noticed in Recovery there are 2 options: "Reset this PC' and "Restart now' Resetting removes all my apps I installed; I believe.Restart no is to access removable media among other things.My question is, is it possible to back up my system and all my apps today and...
  3. Windows Recovery Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Recovery Question: I've noticed in Recovery there are 2 options: "Reset this PC' and "Restart now' Resetting removes all my apps I installed; I believe.Restart no is to access removable media among other things.My question is, is it possible to back up my system and all my apps today and...
  4. Bitlocker To Go Recovery Key Question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker To Go Recovery Key Question: Hello, We currently are using SCCM to Encrypt OS, Fixed and Removable drives and all seems to be working as expected but did have one question and believe I already know the answer but wanted to still ask. "When encrypting Removable drives via Bitlocker To Go are users able...
  5. Bitlocker To Go Recovery Key Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker To Go Recovery Key Question: Hello, We currently are using SCCM to Encrypt OS, Fixed and Removable drives and all seems to be working as expected but did have one question and believe I already know the answer but wanted to still ask. "When encrypting Removable drives via Bitlocker To Go are users able...
  6. Bitlocker To Go Recovery Key Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Questions on Windows Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions on Windows Recovery: Hello everyone, I'd like to know: -If I need anything like an installation disc or usb drive with windows 10 installation files before doing a recovery on my laptop; -Will it remove viruses, malware, trojans, spyware and other bad stuff from my laptop?...
  8. Question about Windows 10 Product key online recovery

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about Windows 10 Product key online recovery: Hello, a few months ago while I was searching Microsoft Help I saw a suggestion to store my Windows 10 product key online. I was asked to make an account in Microsoft for that purpose and so I did. My thought was that if I came across any problem running windows in my pc...
  9. Recovery Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Question: Working with a laptop that was upgraded from 7 to 10. need to go back to 7 but its been a few months since the upgrade. I know I could do a clean install but would like to do a recovery if possible. There is a recovery partition. Wanted to be sure the recovery partition is...
  10. One key recovery question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    One key recovery question: I am having some issues connecting to Lenovo forums, hence I'm asking here. So, I did a clean install of Windows with this selection. I'am still having some issues. My question: can OKR still revert to factory settings? 57433