Windows 10: Windows Key suddenly not working after 3 years

Discus and support Windows Key suddenly not working after 3 years in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've had my laptop for about 3 years now and everything has been fine until yesterday when I got a "Windows isn't activated" message. When I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheArduinoGuy, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Windows Key suddenly not working after 3 years

I've had my laptop for about 3 years now and everything has been fine until yesterday when I got a "Windows isn't activated" message. When I try to re-enter my key I get a message that says "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key."> WTF is going on? Please help.

submitted by /u/TheArduinoGuy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheArduinoGuy, Oct 24, 2020

2. Surface Pro 3 Windows key not working

Hi,

Thank you for writing us back.

Are you using docking station?

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

Steps: Try to run the Hardware and device troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key+X.

• Click on Control Panel.

• Click on Troubleshooting.

• On the left pane, click on view all.

• From the list, double click on hardware and devices and run the troubleshooter and check what it shows.

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Oct 24, 2020
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

4. Windows Key suddenly not working after 3 years

num key 3/pgdn key behaving erratically in windows 10

Hi Ashok,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience as mouse and keyboard not working fine after upgrade to Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to connect external keyboard and mouse and check if they are working.

If external keyboard and mouse is working, then follow the below:

Method 1: Start computer in safe
    mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select Safe mode and then press
      Enter.

Method 2: Try to update/install the drivers in compatibility mode on Windows 10.

Step 1: Uninstall and update keyboard driver.

Steps to uninstall keyboard driver:

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Uninstall.

Steps to Update the keyboard driver.

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Update driver software.
    Also, try to search for the drivers from Manufacturer's website and install them in the compatibility mode.

Step 2: Uninstall and update mouse driver.

Steps to uninstall mouse driver:

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand mouse.
    • Right on the mouse driver and click on
      Uninstall.

Steps to Update the mouse driver.

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand mouse.
    • Right on the mouse
      driver and click on
      Update driver software.

Step 3: Now, I suggest you to start the device in Normal mode to check if the issue persists.

Steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press Enter.
    • Under General tab, check mark Normal start-up and click on
      Apply and on Ok.
    • Now select Restart.

Also, try to search for the mouse
    drivers from Manufacturer's website and install them in the compatibility mode.

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right click the driver installation file and select
      Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the driver and check.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

Windows Key suddenly not working after 3 years

1. Windows Key suddenly not working after 3 years - Similar Threads - Key suddenly working

2. Windows 10 suddenly deactivated after a few years

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 suddenly deactivated after a few years: Hello, I have owned this copy of windows for more than 2 years and it was working fine a few minutes ago. but suddenly when I came to check, the Windows was deactivated somehow. I have not used the key on any other device either. Windows came pre-installed and I do not know...
  3. Windows 10 suddenly deactivated after a few years

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 suddenly deactivated after a few years: Hello, I have owned this copy of windows for more than 2 years and it was working fine a few minutes ago. but suddenly when I came to check, the Windows was deactivated somehow. I have not used the key on any other device either. Windows came pre-installed and I do not know...
  4. After years, my Windows installation is suddenly invalid?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After years, my Windows installation is suddenly invalid?: I have had a legit copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, bought and paid for, installed on my workstation for years, no problems. Recently, I allowed Windows Update to install an 'Important' update. Immediately after, I started getting messages about my Windows...
  5. After years, my Windows installation is suddenly invalid?

After years, my Windows installation is suddenly invalid?: I have had a legit copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, bought and paid for, installed on my workstation for years, no problems. Recently, I allowed Windows Update to install an 'Important' update. Immediately after, I started getting messages about my Windows...
  6. Can I use the Windows 7 Year 3 ESU MAK key after the end of Year 3?

Can I use the Windows 7 Year 3 ESU MAK key after the end of Year 3?: Hi,My organisation had purchased Windows 7 Year 1-3 ESU MAKs. From past experience, the Year 1 MAK was instantly invalid for further activation in Windows 7 workstations from the beginning of Year 2 on 13 Jan 2021. Subsequently, the Year 2 MAK was instantly invalid from the...
  7. Can I use the Windows 7 Year 3 ESU MAK key after the end of Year 3?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use the Windows 7 Year 3 ESU MAK key after the end of Year 3?: Hi,My organisation had purchased Windows 7 Year 1-3 ESU MAKs. From past experience, the Year 1 MAK was instantly invalid for further activation in Windows 7 workstations from the beginning of Year 2 on 13 Jan 2021. Subsequently, the Year 2 MAK was instantly invalid from the...
  8. Is windows 7 Home product key work after 3/4 years ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is windows 7 Home product key work after 3/4 years ?: I bought a dell latitude 3330 laptop 3/4 years ago. Behind the laptop, I found windows 7 Home product key. I don't use it before cause in my laptop there was already installed windows 10 pro without product key. Can i use my with windows product key which come with my laptop...
  9. 3 Keyboard keys suddenly stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3 Keyboard keys suddenly stopped working: Hello everyone So i just encountered this problem I have a dell inspiron 3542 laptop the J,H,K letters stopped responding Last thing i remember is i had a blue screen when using SCP TOOLKIT to identify usb controllers. The odd thing is when i press the J and K...
  10. Windows 10 Product Key All of a Sudden Not Valid after 2 years

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Product Key All of a Sudden Not Valid after 2 years: I purchased a digital copy of Windows 10 to install on a barebones NUC system. I've been using it with the product key provided at purchase with no problems until the past week. All of a sudden I'm been instructed on screen to Activate Windows and my once valid product key is...