Windows 10: Windows lagging every boot.

Discus and support Windows lagging every boot. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home i9-9900k 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM All SSD drives RTX 2070 Super Hello, Recently I have encountered an issue where upon booting up my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Brantleycmd, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Windows lagging every boot.

Windows 10 Home

i9-9900k

32GB DDR4-3200 RAM

All SSD drives
    RTX 2070 Super

Hello,

Recently I have encountered an issue where upon booting up my PC, windows is extremely laggy. Given my hardware, even a little lag is noticeable but what I am experiencing is mind numbing. The following symptoms occur after every boot and reboot, and after about 5-10 minutes, everything is normal again. Some noticeable symptoms include:

-**Dragging open windows across desktop lags heavily behind mouse. Can let go of mouse and watch it continue moving the window for a few seconds.**

-Taskbar and Desktop icons take roughly 30 seconds to show up.
    -taskbar preview thumbnails are blank.

-Cortana search bar turns black and is unresponsive when either clicked or accessed via windows key, for at least 3-4 minutes after boot.

-When Search bar shows up again, typing lags heavily.

-UAC requests lag badly, blank screen, then finally the UAC pop up. About 10-15 seconds with visual stuttering of pop up.
    -Clicking any icon on right side of taskbar is unresponsive.
    -opening new windows lags.
    -Once the issues stop, I can make them occur again briefly by unplugging, or plugging in a USB device. For instance, if I plug in an external drive, the same issues occur, but for less than a minute.

Troublshooting so far:

-malwarebytes scan, windows defender scan.

-monitored Task Manager for resource hungry processes, found nothing out of the ordinary.

-restore point restore

-sfc scan

-dskchk

-checked mouse and keyboard drivers, fresh installed iCUE, adjusted DPI and polling some forums said this might be a problem
    -updated graphics driver. Found that Intel UHD graphics do not show up in device manager any more.
    -reseated all drives, RAM, GPU, and mobo connections.
    -ran intel troubleshooting and stress test to rule out processor.
    -disconnected from network and reboot, did not see a change, same issues persisted.

-Briefly suspected thermal throttling, as idle temps were in high 30s and low 40s. Installed a 240 AIO water cooler to replace my 120 AIO and replaced thermal paste.

-Fresh install windows. yes, I know it is an extreme step, but its not a big deal, I don't keep personal files or anything on this machine, it is solely for gaming and rendering and completely backed up

Any ideas on what might be causing these issues at boot would be appreciated.

:)

Brantleycmd, Feb 4, 2020
  2. Jose Est Win User

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Feb 4, 2020
  3. Windows 10 lags

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it is when the PC doesn’t perform the way it should be. We were checking the lag issue, but
    in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • How much is the CPU and Disk usage showing in Task Manager, also check if any particular program is having high CPU and Disk usage?

We would suggest you to refer the steps as suggested in this article (Exclude step 10):
    Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10

Meanwhile, put the PC in Clean Boot and see if you still get the PC lagging issue. Refer the article

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    . A ‘clean boot’ starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. If the settings app is working fine in Clean Boot then please refer the section
    How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot
    to determine the root cause of the issue.

Note: After you finish troubleshooting, follow the section
    Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to reset the computer to start normally.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 4, 2020
  4. GNJha Win User

Windows lagging every boot.

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows lagging every boot.

1. Windows lagging every boot. - Similar Threads - lagging every boot

2. Computer lagging for a period of time after every boot / restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer lagging for a period of time after every boot / restart: I have noticed that my computer will lag for a period of about 30 minutes each time I power it up or restart it. The lag is evident in characters appearing slower than normal when typing, as well as glitchy mouse cursor movements. When audio is played, the audio is also...
  3. Computer lagging for a period of time after every boot / restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer lagging for a period of time after every boot / restart: I have noticed that my computer will lag for a period of about 30 minutes each time I power it up or restart it. The lag is evident in characters appearing slower than normal when typing, as well as glitchy mouse cursor movements. When audio is played, the audio is also...
  4. Computer lagging for a period of time after every boot / restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows file explorer lags every now and then.......

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows file explorer lags every now and then.......: I have D Dell G3 I7 laptop, for a month now the windows lag now and then while switching apps in between or opening a file in it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-file-explorer-lags-every-now-and-then/90b11b7c-3dee-41ab-8361-cccfd043e30b
  6. windows 10 boot lag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10 boot lag: I am getting a extreme boot lag when i start my windows 10, i am facing a blank screen for about 5 minutes, this is so frustrating. I dont have any viruses or unwanted files. Help me to fix this....
  7. Computer Lag Every Other Reboot

Computer Lag Every Other Reboot: So my buddy helped build a pc for me with hardware from all over the place see below for general hardware information and the pc works well. However, I've run into an issue since windows was installed where on the first start up the pc "skips" or lags when doing anything....
  8. Mouse lag every few minutes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse lag every few minutes: Every few minutes, my mouse will lag for a very short amount of time. I first noticed this problem happening around 2 weeks ago. I have tried multiple mice/mousepads so I believe the issue has to do with my PC. I have also been using this PC for ~4 years with no prior...
  9. Windows lags every 3 seconds

Windows lags every 3 seconds: I had a problem with my laptop not updating. I updated all drivers including BIOS. After that the computer started lagging every 3 seconds, video playback and the mouse as well. I then did a clean install of Windows 10 and applied all the updates. It is now up to date. The...
  10. Lag Spikes Every 3 Seconds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lag Spikes Every 3 Seconds: So, just a few days ago, I got on my computer and started experiencing these lag spikes... It occurs every 2-3 seconds (and it's a second-long spike)... to equate to how this feels: It's like playing an FPS game with lag -- you're shooting a person, but the shots aren't...