Windows 10: Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck

Discus and support Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there, I have a very frustrating language/spellcheck problem with Windows 10. Office 365 Outlook in this example is arbitrarily using a language I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by djmcnz, Jan 9, 2020.

1. djmcnz Win User

Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck

Hi there,

I have a very frustrating language/spellcheck problem with Windows 10. Office 365 Outlook in this example is arbitrarily using a language I don't have installed English US to check some, but not all, spelling.

Outlook is set to spell check in English New Zealand:

Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck 9ad754fe-3d08-42d6-8c87-d06d8c5afc10?upload=true.jpg

But it's not, it's checking some of the content in English US - in this example "Prioritized" should be marked as misspelled and "Prioritised" should be considered accurate. The obvious other error here is that, regardless of the language selected, both instances of "Prioritised" should be treated the same and they are not:

Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck 7172408a-2f9f-4020-80be-1d72a241dd31?upload=true.jpg

There is only one language installed in Windows and that is not English US:

Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck 8e42df55-d7bb-4cc8-98c2-175269324668?upload=true.jpg

All other language settings throughout the OS reflect the "English New Zealand" setting. There should be no way for anything to even use another language.

I've always thought since Windows 95 really that language settings in Windows have been a nightmare, it really shouldn't be as complex and frustrating as it is.

Question 1: How is this happening and how do I fix it permanently?

Question 2: How do I expunge "English US" from Windows 10 so that it can never be used and will never come back? Ever.

Thanks.

:)

djmcnz, Jan 9, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Language selection windows and office

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for the interest in purchasing Microsoft products.

For us to make sure that you'll be getting a device and software with an English language, we suggest that you discuss the following with your sales representative.

• Test your laptop before purchasing it.
    • Make sure its not a single language Windows 10.

The language of Office products depends on your computer system. This is the reason why you need to check if its a single language device or not. From the word itself, single language has only one language available. Your computer settings will not give
    you any options to change it based on your preference.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jhessica Sur, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck

windows 10 spelling checker in multiple language

Hello Loizos,

If you did not resolve yet, I have a suggestion that worked for me.

1 - Add the Greek language - I think you already did that.

2 - Open Word and type something incorrectly (that the English spellcheck will underline)

3 - Then right click on the word you have typed and select Spelling.

4 - When the new window opens up with the spelling options, click on Options

5 - It will open a wider window, select Language on left hand side menu (see picture)

6 - There is a box name Editing language. It usually says that English Spellcheck is installed.

7 - At the base of this box, there is the possibility to add another editing language. Select Greek and click Add. It will show in the list underneath English, but it will show as Not Installed.

8 - Click on the Not installed link and it will take you to the Microsoft page for you to download the language pack for spellcheck. You will need to select your Word version (2010,2013,2016) and whether your system is 64 or 32 bit. The editing packs can
    be quite big (over 200MB).

Follow the steps indicated in the Microsoft page.

Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck b9f82a12-2578-44be-ad5b-91aee1f72317.jpg

Good luck.

RogerioBettu, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck

1. Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck - Similar Threads - Language Office Spellcheck

2. Change Word spellcheck in Office

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Word spellcheck in Office: How can I remove the spellcheck for words like it's I write its So it doesn't always require a 'Office 2019Old spellcheck, 2003, used to remember changes in a a document, but new spellcheck doesn't, is there any way to get this back?I really miss the old Word spellcheck, from...
  3. Change Word spellcheck in Office

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Word spellcheck in Office: How can I remove the spellcheck for words like it's I write its So it doesn't always require a 'Office 2019Old spellcheck, 2003, used to remember changes in a a document, but new spellcheck doesn't, is there any way to get this back?I really miss the old Word spellcheck, from...
  4. Change Word spellcheck in Office

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 doesn't support spellcheck for extra languages

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 doesn't support spellcheck for extra languages: Hi. I'm trying to set up spellcheck and input methods for extra languages. Seems like spellcheck is not supported for extra languages, which is weird, I could swear that used to work in the past. Any hints will be appreciated.[ATTACH]...
  6. In Office, when spellchecking, how to ignore all languages that are not in the proofing...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    In Office, when spellchecking, how to ignore all languages that are not in the proofing...: Basically I want Word, PowerPoint and Excel to ignore all languages that are not (installed) in the proofing list (in options), when I perform a spellcheck, otherwise it checks every word in the different languages, naturally, even if they're spelled correctly. I have two...
  7. Spellchecking wrong language

Spellchecking wrong language: I'm trying to use English as the default language for Windows and get it to spellcheck both Spanish and English but even getting Spanish as my default language Windows is not spellchecking my Spanish typing...
  8. [WHATSAPP/SPELLCHECK] WhatsApp doesn't spellcheck more than 1 language

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [WHATSAPP/SPELLCHECK] WhatsApp doesn't spellcheck more than 1 language: [ATTACH] So, I use both English and Portuguese in my Windows 10 but WhatsApp doesn't seem to recognize it. WhatsApp example Language panel Turning these option off still makes WhatsApp show the highlight submitted by /u/Hidwardo [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck

Windows Language vs Office Spellcheck: Hi there, I have a very frustrating language/spellcheck problem with Windows 10. Office 365 Outlook in this example is arbitrarily using a language I don't have installed English US to check some, but not all, spelling. Outlook is set to spell check in English New...
  10. office spellchecker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    office spellchecker: Hi the other day in my office 365 (insider last bulid) i see a rigth panel who have a list of how many errors i have in my document 100 ortographic 100 stile and grammar 100 inclusive languaje I like to see that list but i dont know how to show it. I does not have a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. spellcheck language windows 10