Windows 10: Windows laptop cannot find desktop on network

Discus and support Windows laptop cannot find desktop on network in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On my home network, my desktop can see and access my laptop. However, my laptop cannot see the desktop.My desktop is running Windows 10 Home 20H2, OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DN SMITH, Sep 13, 2021.

1. DN SMITH Win User

Windows laptop cannot find desktop on network

On my home network, my desktop can see and access my laptop. However, my laptop cannot see the desktop.My desktop is running Windows 10 Home 20H2, OS build 19042.1165. My laptop is running the same version.The network is routed through an ASUS router. The desktop is connected by ethernet. The laptop is connected through WiFI. The ASUS router shows both devices on the network maps. Also, my mobile devices can see my desktop on my network.I have jumped through about every easily googled hoop I can find, but I cannot get the laptop to find the desktop. I thought for the longest time that the issu

:)

DN SMITH, Sep 13, 2021

2. Laptop won't show list of available networks

We suggest checking the list of available Wi-Fi networks on your laptop.

Please follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo.
    • Go to Settings (gear icon).
    • Select Network and Internet.
    • Then Wi-Fi.
    • Make sure the Wi-Fi radio button is On.
    • Select Show available networks, then you'll be able to see the list of available Wi-Fi networks.

Update us with the outcome so we provide further assistance.

Robert Caw, Sep 13, 2021
  3. sarahk Win User
    Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop

Hi

My network is really simple. A win10 laptop and a win10 desktop. The desktop has a couple of hard drives and the laptop needs to see one of them.

At various times it's all been good but then something mysterious happens and we're back to square one.

So
    • I've set up a homegroup and both computers belong to it
    • I've set up sharing so that the homegroup can read/write
    • I've added my husbands email address as a user on the desktop and accepted the invitation so that it doesn't show as pending

Yet, when I go to the laptop
    • I can see the homegroup and the two computers that are in it
    • I can see the network and the same two computers
    • If I click on the drives I get a no-permission error

I've obviously missed a step somewhere and I've gone over tutorials and guides but can't work out what it is. Any ideas?

sarahk, Sep 13, 2021
  4. Sharkman Win User

Network a wndows 7 desktop with a windows 10 laptop

New to this stuff... Can someone detail what has to be done to each PC step by step so that I can share files, printer etc between the systems? The desktop has a wired connection to the router and the laptop is using wifi. Desktop is windows 7 home.

thanks

Sharkman, Sep 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows laptop cannot find desktop on network - Similar Threads - laptop cannot find

2. Cannot find network adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot find network adapter: I have been using a Asus a15 laptop and recently came across a problem where my internet kept disappearing.So I deleted my network adapter and tried to reinstall it but I cannot find it anywhere. I have tried multiple methods and I have even factory reset my laptop. None have...
  3. Cannot find network adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot find network adapter: I have been using a Asus a15 laptop and recently came across a problem where my internet kept disappearing.So I deleted my network adapter and tried to reinstall it but I cannot find it anywhere. I have tried multiple methods and I have even factory reset my laptop. None have...
  4. Cannot find network drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot find network drives: I have a PC which I have set up as an at home media server. That PC is discoverable by my TVs, phones, and tablets.There are 2 other PCs in my home. One is able to see the server, and all other connected devices, but one is not able to see anything on the network yet is still...
  5. Cannot find network drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot find network drives: I have a PC which I have set up as an at home media server. That PC is discoverable by my TVs, phones, and tablets.There are 2 other PCs in my home. One is able to see the server, and all other connected devices, but one is not able to see anything on the network yet is still...
  6. laptop cannot find my network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    laptop cannot find my network: laptop cannot find my network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-cannot-find-my-network/4e1c1fa5-152a-4452-a6b7-7c6260c8a434
  7. Win 10 laptop cannot find Win 8.1 desktop on home network

Win 10 laptop cannot find Win 8.1 desktop on home network: Have tried to describe this in Win 8 forum as well because I don't know if it's a Win 8 or Win 10 matter. On 2/22 I did a reinstall of Win 8.1 on a HP 1504 desktop to allow install of NET 4.8. Previously that desktop, a Win 10 HP laptop & a Win 7 Toshiba laptop could all...
  8. Cannot find network printer

Cannot find network printer: I just had to do a fresh install of Windows. I have a networked printer, HP LaserJet 1320n, that cannot be found even if I put in the its IP address. What is the best forum to post this? Thanks, Jeff Windows 10.0.18363 149634
  9. Cannot see Desktop or Laptop on the network

Cannot see Desktop or Laptop on the network: I recently updated Windows 10 Pro to 1903. So far everything worked ok, except that My Desktop cannot see my Laptop and vice versa. I tried all sorts of things without resolving this issue. Even accessing \\198.168.0.1 tells me that it cannot access \\XXXXXPC with the...
  10. Network frustration - desktop cannot access laptop

Network frustration - desktop cannot access laptop: I have a desktop and laptop on the same home network, both part of the same workgroup. No homegroup. On the desktop, in File Explorer, I can see the laptop but cannot access it. I ran Network troubleshooter and have attached the log file. I have no idea if it is helpful. On...