Windows 10: Windows Laptop Update caused all my files to disappear

Discus and support Windows Laptop Update caused all my files to disappear in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Can someone help get help? A few months ago, after a Windows update, I discovered that all my files had disappeared. I contacted Microsoft,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by explorerr, Nov 8, 2018.

1. explorerr Win User

Windows Laptop Update caused all my files to disappear

Hello,

Can someone help get help? A few months ago, after a Windows update, I discovered that all my files had disappeared. I contacted Microsoft, and they agreed to fix the problem.

When the time came for me to give them the okay to take pictures of my system. I told them, no. I did because about a year earlier, I said, yes. The session last two or more hours. The funny thing is that the technician who worked on the computer left, and passed me on to another technician. The new person couldn't answer any of my question, including, why it took so long? How many pictures he took? etc.

After telling them, no. They kept sending me back to the same page to give them an okay. The page had no option for not taking pictures. The technician told me that she would report that there's no option for no picture taking. To date, I have never heard from Microsoft. What can I do in this case to get Microsoft to fix my computer? Thanks for any help.

:)

explorerr, Nov 8, 2018
  2. P4-630 Win User

Task to auto update windows defender definitions disappears

My mom has a new laptop with windows 8.1, we always set the windows updates to manual.
    On our other windows 8.1 computers I have created a task for auto updating windows defender definitions, which works fine for us.

This is how I created this task:

"Click on "Create Task", name it what you like (mine is Daily Signature Update), set the trigger as the time you want it to run every day.

For Action browse to Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe and select it. In "Add arguments" add -SignatureUpdate -MMPC"

But somehow this task disappears once it has run on my mom's laptop.
    I'm logged in as admin and then I also tried it with running the task scheduler as admin, the task just disappears every day for some reason, while it works fine on our other windows 8.1 computers.

Anyone an idea why this task disappears every time?

Thanks.

P4-630, Nov 8, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Pech_096 Win User

The option converting m4a files to wma files in windows 10 is disappeared

• What app are you using to convert the files?
    I don't use any app to convert the files. I just copy the m4a files from my music folder. Then I paste the m4a files in my android phone drive that connected to my laptop. Then a windows pop-up that shows the option converting m4a files to wma files appears.
    You can see the windows pop-up in below picture. Now the windows pop-up is disappeared.

Windows Laptop Update caused all my files to disappear b4c1c11b-71d2-4bbb-a1ed-65ca65cf6f71.jpg

This picture was taken a screenshot from the video

• When did the issue start to happen?
    I found this problem last week. However, I didn't convert m4a files to wma files since May, 2017.

• Were there any changes made to your device prior to the issue?
    I updated windows several times prior to the issue.

• Have you done any troubleshooting steps so far?
    I haven't done any troubleshooting steps.

Pech_096, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Laptop Update caused all my files to disappear - Similar Threads - Laptop Update caused

2. All my files have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my files have disappeared!: I upgraded to Microsoft 365 Business Premium on Windows 11, and somewhere along the lines all my files have disappeared! Some folders remain also with folders inside but all the files are gone! They're not in the Cloud, I have not deleted or moved them, and by default I...
  3. All my files have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All my files have disappeared!: I upgraded to Microsoft 365 Business Premium on Windows 11, and somewhere along the lines all my files have disappeared! Some folders remain also with folders inside but all the files are gone! They're not in the Cloud, I have not deleted or moved them, and by default I...
  4. All my files have disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All my files have disappeared: I turned on my computer, Windows 11 and all of my folders/files are gone. I've tried unhiding everything, checking in my user folder, check my recycling bin etc. Basically all the fixes on every forum I could find. I only have the one user account that I use on my laptop....
  5. All my files have disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my files have disappeared: I turned on my computer, Windows 11 and all of my folders/files are gone. I've tried unhiding everything, checking in my user folder, check my recycling bin etc. Basically all the fixes on every forum I could find. I only have the one user account that I use on my laptop....
  6. ALL files have disappeared from my laptop after Windows update last week

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ALL files have disappeared from my laptop after Windows update last week: tried to uninstall last update but it won't let me. tried to restore to last restore point but ' restoring files' just went on for 24 hrs so I guessed it was stuck so forced shutdown. Tried restarting several times to no effect. Getting a message saying my Onedrive is full if...
  7. All my files and videos disappeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All my files and videos disappeared: Hi, My computer automaticaly uppdated Windows 10 this week the result was that all the files from my documents and all the files from videos disappeared.The only folders and the files that were not removed were the pictures and the music. I followed all the methods you...
  8. All my files have disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my files have disappeared: I turned on my PC this evening and all my saved files and backups have disappeared. Also apps that I have installed have disappeared too. And apps that I have uninstalled have been re - installed. Can someone please tell me how to fix this or what has happened Thank you...
  9. Window Update - all files disappeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window Update - all files disappeared: I turn on my laptop and the Window is being updated automatically. Once it is done, my laptop display background has been reset to original. Then, I found that all my files gone!!!!! It is basically back to original!!! What happened?!!! oh gosh! And how to get back all...
  10. All files disappear

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All files disappear: All files disappear after a restart. All files are gone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-files-disappear/e474f5da-42c6-4fd7-ba1d-38d1ace38bf4